• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Summer Garden Time

I know nothing about Alaskan seasons, but where I am it's still 2 weeks too early to plant anything except maybe potatoes, onions, or peas.

Has anyone here ever grown (with success) lemon trees? I've often thought about how much fun it would be to grow my own lemons or citrus. Just not sure how if could be done outside. I am sure can try indoors.

I have never tried, but I know there are people who plant Meyer Lemon trees in pots and put them out in summer and bring them inside in winter. There are also cold-hardy citrus trees that can be planted and left outside (one type is 'Satsuma' which is a little orange that is cold hardy). And they also graft some citrus trees on cold hardy roots that can survive. I'm sure if you Google it for your area that you will find a wealth of information.

I've had a lemon tree produce fruit, but I have no idea how it did it! It is where the dogs 'go to the toilet', and I sometimes have a leak there, but it was planted when we moved in, so I don't even know how to plant one.

We've found a collapsible greenhouse here at Fred Meyers (Krogers in the 48). Next week it's getting erected!

It's pretty small as far as greenhouses go but probably good starter for a novice.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Still waiting on those "vegetables" Aussie's neighbor grows too.

We've found a collapsible greenhouse here at Fred Meyers (Krogers in the 48). Next week it's getting erected!

It's pretty small as far as greenhouses go but probably good starter for a novice.
View attachment 3104

We have two of those - one complete and one 'shortened'. We also replaced the outer covering with actual shade cloth. The original was made of plastic and just had to go.

It was vegetable matter that the neighbors grew, but they moved out years ago.

I think no it's selling here for around $100. Do you think it's worth it? I'll upgrade if it's a total pos.

I think no it's selling here for around $100. Do you think it's worth it? I'll upgrade if it's a total pos.

We get our shade cloth for free, so it's affordable for us.

It depends on how you use it. We use ours to repot plants and then let them get used to being in the new (bigger) pots. At this time of year, they also get used to the cold, but they don't get the frost on them. Once the frosty season is over, we then place the pots in the yard. By that time, the plants should have gotten over the move, and have either thrived, or died.

Obtained the mini house so looks like erection is happening this weekend! Gotta buy seeds and potting soil next.

Haven't checked yet but shouldn't there be a few places that sell infant starter plants? Help out a ton time wise.

Plant nurseries should have them. We get our plants as 'juveniles' and just put them in larger pots to grow older.

Yeah I definitely think that's the avenue I should take. So is straight potting soil gtg or mix miracle grow and such in too?

We do 1 of 2 things, depending on the size of the pot.

We would put river stones or road gravel (the stones only) in the bottom of the pot (to ensure good drainage), then half fill with straight potting mix. We then place the plant on top, then back fill with straight potting mix before giving it a good water. We then top up with potting mix then give it a drink with diluted 'worm castings'.

The other option is if you are using a large pot, or in our case, a tall pot, we turn empty plastic pots upside down in the bottom of the pot to take up a lot of the space, or stand cardboard upright, then fill the space with potting mix. Not only does this method take up space, it gives the roots room to expand, and it saves on potting mix.

The only time we have lost anything is when the plant is hit by unseasonal frost, or it was dying when we purchased it.

At first, do not put plants in harsh sunlight. We initially place ours where they get morning sun, but are in shade during the afternoon. We water every three days, but we give everything a soaking, not just a light sprinkle.

We are in the midst of repotting/replanting/removing our plants, so even though the central area looks like it hasn't changed, the outer surrounds will be completely different. For example, we have removed the grapefruit vine that acted as a wind break and replaced it with a jasmine vine. Same effect, different plant. We also have an assortment of potted yucca, and the rest are Australian natives.

Once re-established, I'll post a photo, but as we are approaching winter, don't go holding your breath waiting. The photo is about 5 months away!

Got my mini-green up and Dixie cups of seeds & soil. Pics aren't loading for some reason.

Got my mini-green up and Dixie cups of seeds & soil. Pics aren't loading for some reason.

I've been picking everyone's brains to see when to plant my seeds, should gotten to it last week. Cleaned out my beds today and the seeds go int the ground tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a bountiful harvest!

Boone, what's up with the honey?

Yeah I may be early with them to be honest. Have no idea, pretty much winging it.

Jar of honey does sound pretty good right now. Mixing it with butter then putting it on biscuits is the shiz.

They are just starting to store honey (tulip poplars and blackberry, 2 of their main nectar sources, just started blooming). Lots of rain and that's not good for honey production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.