• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Summer Garden Time

We have people who rent houses especially to grow indoor 'vegetables'. Special lights, a self watering system (usually hydroponic) and sometimes even a ventilation system are all set up to cater. The police don't like it much though!

Yeah send us your neighbors veggies Aussie.

So Boone, you do a lot of canning as well or pick as needed?

We have people who rent houses especially to grow indoor 'vegetables'. Special lights, a self watering system (usually hydroponic) and sometimes even a ventilation system are all set up to cater. The police don't like it much though!

That's awesome. I really love that idea. If I could find a cheap rental property nearby, I'd be all over that.

Looking forward to getting things staerted soon. Like with many things in my life, I like to go all out and do it up.

I have decided 6 or 8 different crops is plenty. I started getting the idea that I was gonna grow every vegetable out there.

I wanna see Boone or one of the other veteran growers crossbreed a new pepper. Get some island of dr Moreau type shit going!

Got tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers growing in the house, putting potatoes in soon, a little late this year. The rest I will direct seed.

Conventional wisdom here is to wait until middle of April before putting anything in the ground. Still too much chance for frost or cold spell.

Had a good friend turn me on to a good source for seeds, if anyone is interested I will post...but am not going to solicit anything on here except my photography services.

;)

Conventional wisdom here is to wait until middle of April before putting anything in the ground. Still too much chance for frost or cold spell.

As evidenced by the snow falling out my window this morning. WTF?

Had a good friend turn me on to a good source for seeds, if anyone is interested I will post...but am not going to solicit anything on here except my photography services.

;)

Solicit away beotch.

Yeah, April 15th is definitely in my experience the date of being safe from absolute frost. I won't plant before that. Probably 2 weeks after it is even safer. Excited because growing things is so cathartic and positive. I'll do it until I can't anymore, and then I'll mourn that I can't do it.

Oh and it's snowed like a foot here in the last 12 hours. Spring was on its way too.

Last edited:
Boone, when growing tomatoes do you have to "hang" them or will they do work on the ground?

My friend is walking me through this, I have not had my own garden since I was a kid. He said he will begin planting his lettuces over the course of the next week. We are not expecting any frost and if we do, he will cover them in burlap. I am going to start planting in about 2 weeks.

As for the seed company...

Johnny's Selected Seeds - Superior Seeds & Gardening Tools

Boone, when growing tomatoes do you have to "hang" them or will they do work on the ground?

You can grow them on the ground and just let them sprawl if you want (they are a 'vine' technically). I don't prefer that only because a) the bugs/caterpillars/raccoons get to them a lot easier, and b) it becomes like an obstacle course when trying to pick them as they ripen. By far my preferred method is to plant them in the ground and sink a 'tomato spiral' next to them.

xm101s1.jpg

Tomato Spirals - Lee Valley Tools

As the tomato vine grows, you just tuck the central stem around the spiral. I have never had a tomato plant fall over or break using these spirals, they last forever, and are easy to put in.

Oh okay that makes sense. Don't have as many bugs here as you guys but the organization of the risers is a great idea. I'll definitely use those or something like it!

Got my seeds in the mail, bought a tiller so I can get my beds tilled and cleaned, and am anxiously awaiting the 2nd Saturday of April to plant outdoor.

Half my kale survived the winter. Growing nicely. Should get a decent mess before tomato's and peppers hit the dirt. Though it likely won't be as tasty as it was last fall, after a good hard frost hit it.

Dammit I'm like the only one who hasn't planted yet. Is it too late?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.