• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Summer Garden Time

We are going to do a garden this year. I am working on building 6 - 8x4 raised boxes. Hope by the end of this weekend to have everything set up. I am setting them up off the back of our property, and am building them out of regular 2x10 lumber, but I am going to coat them with linseed oil. From what I have read they should last upwards of 6-10 years, and the cost is much better than cedar.

I have ordered seeds, and will give a rundown of what we are gonna be growing!

Let me know if you need help. I started my seeds last weekend.

It's a week or two earlier than I would prefer, but I'm going to have to get my tomato, cucumber, squash, and melon plants in the ground soon (maybe as soon as this weekend). They are getting leggy and outgrowing the seed starting trays I began them in 3 weeks ago. So it's going to be a very busy weekend, but a lot of fun getting things laid out, soil tilled, and stuff in the ground :) I will probably start a 2nd round of plants the following week...

Tomorrow I am going to put the squash and cucumbers in bigger containers since it is way to early to plant here. Still waiting on my peppers seeds to sprout.

Good luck on the plantings Boone!

Now that we're renting, we had to ask the landlord before doing a garden. They said no. I'm laying out plans to make it twice as big as I originally planned, because it doesn't violate anything in the lease, we wouldn't be causing any damage, and we don't plan on staying here anyway :D Besides, I need tomatoes to throw at the jerk neighbor kid lol.

garden1.jpggarden2.jpg

Man, busted my ass today! I had some major work to do, clearing all of the leaves, debris, and old plants from last year out of my garden, pulling up weed barriers, and finally tilling. Managed to get a bunch of tomatoes planted before I wrapped up for the day. Will take another crack at it tomorrow afternoon.

That looks awesome. Wish I had the space and know how to plant my own peppers, maybe some strawberry's.

Too early for 'maters just yet. I am, however, pleased that the kale I was too late planting last fall, survived the winter and is beginning to take off. Won't have the flavor of frost tempered kale in the fall, but I should get to pick a mess of it before clearing the way for my 'maters and peppers.

Put most of ours in this past weekend. Wrapping up remaining initial planting shortly. Going simpler this year and experimenting with using mostly hills, which worked well for some items last year.

This year's crop is 4 different sweet peppers, 2 types of hot, zucchini, crook neck squash, cucumbers (trying trellis style), grape tomatoes, herbs (sage. Thyme, rosemary, basil) popcorn

I had to get 2 more yard of soil delivered yesterday to finish filling my boxes. It is hard to believe that 6 - 4x8 raised beds that are 9.5" high took 7 yards of dirt to fill. That was a lot of wheelbarrow loads from my front yard to the back! I planted my strawberry and broccoli outside, still going to be a few weeks till the rest can go out.

Been there done that! Yeah, it is amazing how much it takes to fill them up for sure. You'll probably have to add some in year 2 as well as it'll settle :) But the hard work is done.

I rolled the dice and planted my garden this evening, hopefully there is no more frost! 3 varieties of tomatoes, 3 varieties of peppers, squash, zucchini, cucumber, carrots, beets, lettuce, spinach, onions, beans, peas, and strawberrys.

I got my mater's and peppers in the ground last week.

Staking some Big Boy's for me and summer love affair with tomato sammiches. Cherry tomato for the Lady Ax.
Habanero's & Jalapeno's
Was hoping to find a Ghost Pepper plant somewhere. No luck yet.
Got room for either a few bell peppers, or maybe an eggplant or two. Can't decide.
Gonna do a pot of Chinese Long beans on the deck.

I get my super hot plants online - from a Texas company - I'll post the address tonight.

"Texas? Only two things come out of Texas. Steers, and Queers!"

Tried to order online, but the first 2 places I checked both said they were out of stock. Figured I missed the boat.

We ended up getting a frost last night, so it is a good thing I took the time to cover it all last night! Looks like there was no damage! Damn you Ohio spring

The season's first jalapenos have been consumed and washed down with ice cold beer.
Habanero's are weighing down every plant.
The first cherry tomatoes found their way into the wife's dinner salad.
And the first sandwich tomato is finishing it's last few days of ripening on the kitchen counter.

Homegrown veggies are priceless!!!

Going to be building my garden boxes tomorrow.

24in wide
144ft long
20in deep

it is going to span the back fence of our property and give us plenty of room to plant whatever we want. Very excited.

fae9cfc73926761f2976f15af158a210.jpg

8 of 12 boxes built. The sun was about 100 today and just drained me. They will all be filled and a drip system installed by next weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.