• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Summer Garden Time

Finally felt nighttime temps were high enough to get my plants started indoors in the ground. Planted about 100 tomato plants today, a ton of superhot peppers, and about 50 eggplant and okra plants. Tomorrow, I'll plant purple pole beans, a bunch of cucumbers, squash (summer and winter types), and some swiss chard. I love this time of year.

Checked on the garden this evening after a 3-4 stretch of relative cold, clouds, and rain. Looking good. May have lost a few of the 100 tomato plants I planted, but that's to be expected. Okra not happy either given the cool, but things are looking good. A couple days of sun and beans and squash should be making an appearance. First hop vine poking through the dirt today. Woot!

How did you decide what kind of hops to plant?

I just went with cascade and centennial since they are pretty typical hops varieties and I am not a purist when it comes to making beer....Don't worry, if they produce, I'll hook you up...

My Okra is hating the weather. Two thirds of mine tried to die, but I did CPR on them, and I think they might make it. When people told me you really need to give a lot of water to plants in a raised garden, they weren't kidding. I feel like I'm doing it to the point of excess, but it still dries out in less than a day. My garlic and onions are doing awesome.

Got the last of my garden in last weekend - sweet potatoes. I plant them in two large rubber garbage cans that I've cut a bunch of holes into. put a slip or two in each hole from the outside in, and then progressively fill the garbage cans with potting soil. Works really well and at the end of the summer, you just dump it and harvest. Things are looking good so far, just nursing everything along until the plants are ready to thrive on their own. And tshile - hop vines (cascade and centennial) are already up and starting to climb the lines I ran...

I love sweet potatoes! I wonder if they'll grow in Texas?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Sure - I'll take a couple pics next time I'm out there and it'll make more sense...

I think I have my next door neighbor talked into growing me a few banana peppers...giggity.

Spent about 4 hours in the garden yesterday, weeding, fertilizing, etc... Here's how she looks at the moment...

1.JPG

Hops rhizomes growing and vines starting to work their way upwards. These are Cascade and Centennial hops for any of you brewer out there...

2.JPG

My rabbiteye blueberry bushes. These are about 15 years old and they produce huge amounts of berries every year.

3.JPG

I have three 50' rows of tomatoes. Normally I stake them, but this year, I'm going to let them sprawl as I don't have enough stakes to do it even if I wanted to and I'm going to let tomatoes be tomatoes and do their thing.

4.JPG

Eggplant on the left, cucumbers on the right, mostly 'Miss Pickler' with a few lemon cucumbers also.

5.JPG

2 rows of 'Super Hot' peppers, everything from ghosts, to trinidad scorpions, with some milder tabasco, habanero, and jalapeno also in there. A few okra plants at the end of the row as well.

6.JPG

Summer and winter squash plants. I love 'Delicata' winter squash - if you haven't grown them, amazing and don't require peeling...

7.JPG

I grow sweet potatoes in rubbermaid trash cans with holes cut in them. In early Fall, I'll just dump it and harvest. Really easy.

8.JPG

Purple pod pole beans. They turn green when cooked, but love this variety (it's the only one I grow) because the beans are obviously easy to see, and they don't get tough or stringy no matter how big the beans get.

9.JPG

The flower/herb (mostly herbs) garden I put together a month or so ago.

Be interested to see what anyone else has going. Assuming I'm not the only one in my thread :)

...next time set the bar lower....to go after you is like Pee Wee Herman posting muscle pics on a bodybuliding site when you post these epic pics. ;) We're almost a month behind you here in Ohio, I just planted this week.

Hey - I went through a 10 year stretch of management hell where I couldn't muster up the energy to mow my grass, much less garden. I'm living the good (albeit much lower paying) life now :)

Boone that is impressive! Next year we will dabble in some gardening, as for this year we just have a few herbs growing.

Harvesting my first pineapple today, through absolutely no skill of my own. Just sheer, dumb luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 103
Wow! Now there's something you don't hear every day :) That's awesome - and I can tell you having raided the Dole Pineapple fields (or having allowed my Marines to raid the Dole Pineapple fields on the north shore of Oahu) - there is NOTHING better than a fresh pineapple. That thing looks beautiful!

McD reminded me of my mango tree in FL. My gawd it was spectacular to go out in my back yard and pick a mango up off the ground, bring it in the house and slice it up! There really is no food better than the mangos I had on that tree.

So my wife finally took a step toward gardening. She started some sunflowers from seeds and they are beginning to blossom now. We have about 7 plants and they are almost all in th 8 foot range. I am glad she did it, she caught the bug. Next year we'll expand.

Last night I was over a friend's house. He has about 15 pots with everything from basil and parsley to carrot and cucumbers, tomatoes and lots of pepper varietals. He didn't plant traditional gardens, he is incorporating his veggies and herbs in his flowers beds as well as the pots. Pretty neat set up. Totally changed my thinking on starting a garden. I've heard of it before and seen pics, but seeing the setup he has and the newfound pleasure my wife is taken from growing her sunflowers, I believe we are going to delve further next year.

You go brother! There is magic in planting things. I have sensed this sense i was young enough to sense things.

I planted 3 Roma plants this year. Only 3. So far, I have harvested just over 40 lbs, and the plants have more on there ripening than what I've picked so far, and massive clusters of flowers opening up every day. I don't know what the hell I did this year, but this garden has exploded. And it's happened with zero attempts at pest control, zero chemicals, nothing but compost and water. It's mind blowing. The squash I keep getting are big enough to feed a small village, and I've gotten so many cucumbers from the 1 plant I have that I've taken up canning, and we have a truckload of awesome pickles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.