• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

not impressed with the start of this "new regime"

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
we are in dire need of upgrades on the Oline and have limited resources, yet we are not even in the running when it comes to creative moves.

Martin started games on the Fins Oline last year and while he is obviously a bit of a headcase, the niners just got him for a CONDITIONAL 6th, in other words, if hes not on the roster, he costs them nothing, thats what good teams do, they mitigate risks.

Oh if we are going to run this idiot 3-4 yet again with the wrong players, why break the bank on Rak and now watch as the guy who inspired the switch is probably gonna get paid the same rough amount?

we need so many things on this team that 1-2 guys arent gonna be the difference, shannhan left this team in way worse shape than I thought, especially on defence, after 4 years what exactly do we have? we have a young qb who is coming off a horrible injury, we have a solid but not spectacular starting running back and 2 serviceable backups. a stellar number 2 and number 3 receiver, and a decent but injury prone young te. we have a good but not great LT and an oline that needs wholesale changes. a backup qb who may or may not be a good number 2 but is not a number 1.

On defence we now have nothing, we have a decent number 2 cb in hall a potential decent 3rd cb in amerson, a pair of solid but not spectacular OLB's who both look better suited to playing the rush DE in a 4-3, a couple solid DT's who would be better in a rotation, and no safety worth starting multiple games. literally way worse off than when shamahan took the defence and blew it up in what was easily the biggest mistake made by the team in decades.

I keep waiting for reasons to hope , I keep thinking " maybe gruden will get his shit together and make a really good chicken salad out of chicken shit" but so far hes retained the worst DC we have had in decades because they are buddies, he hasnt signed any key free agents or pushed for any outside the box thinking and im wondering of allen is just a cap guy.

we NEED outside the box thinking, or its gonna be another 5 years of watching up and down football.

I agree! Gruden should have turned the whole roster over by now!

Holy crap dude step away from the ledge. I think the funniest line from your borderline suicidal post has to be: "a backup qb who may or may not be a good number 2 but is not a number 1."

While I'm slightly frustrated that we have yet to upgrade the secondary with any of the top tier free agents, two of the guys we were reportedly the most interested in, Byrd and Talib, got ridiculous deals with huge guarantees, i.e., Vinny money. Bruce has already stated that we're going to need a dozen guys or more so we're gonna have to be thrifty. I'm assuming that means lesser free agents and other teams cap casualties. This could mean guys like S Thomas DeCoud, RB Darren Sproles or RT Donald Penn might be potential options. This may not be "pretty" but it could end up being effective. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

It's been said that some of the best value in FA comes AFTER the first couple of days. I hope that comes to pass but I've already tempered my expectations for next season. I do, however, understand your frustrations. This entire offseason, including the coaching change, has not gone the way I expected or hoped but we're stuck with it so I guess we'll see. Then again, I wasn't happy with the hiring of Joe Gibbs back in 1981 and was calling for his head after an 0-5 start but that turned out pretty well. ;)

Mike, do you think a conditional low round pick for a potential starter is really a wasted pick? those are low risk high reward moves that teams need to make to be competitive.

GSF- when you are rebuilding a team, you look at your resources, and then you prioritise, but one key thing you do, is build up your team where its cheap, one great way to do that is on your coaching staff, and nobody can convince me retaining haslett was a good idea. another thing you do, is install schemes that fit the players you have and minimise your weaknesses, im still not seeing any signs of this. I also dont think Kirk is a number 1 qb in the nfl, and he may or may not be a solid number 2. he was up and down

Well, color me happy. One thing on my "Hope to hell we don't do" list, was sign Martin. At best, he's a headcase, not worth the risk of making our team paranoid that everything they do is being watched/recorded/scrutinized. A microscope we don't need. At worst, he's a stoned wuss, who chose to try and cover his poor play by crying victim-hood. More likely, a combination of both. Pass.

As for the tone of the OP, it's just typical Ryman. As predictable as the sun rising in the East.

Stuck in the past.
Screaming at the now.
Burying the future.

Less then 24 hours into the FA signing period, and we're doomed already. I'll wait till training camp before I judge our roster rebuilding effort. New head coach, and while we generally have an idea of what he does, we really don't know how he's going to play it. If what's been rumored about the D being handcuffed, will we see real changes there. Just too soon to say.....

I suppose we could have made Archuleta the highest paid safety in football again.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Geez, I wanted to get away from crap like that from ES and its here too. It's not even been 24hrs since FA started and people are already complaining. This team has a bunch of holes that aren't going to be fixed in 1 day let alone 1 year of FA.

The 3 guys we've brought in so far filled needs. #2 WR? Check. OL help? Check. LB depth and ST help? Check.

Not to be cliche, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

You have to let the market set itself. A lot of the second tier safeties aren't going to sign anywhere until they see what the big boys get and can judge their value accordingly. Or, more accurately, their agents won't let them sign. By this time next week, I'm willing to bet we'll have a much better idea of what the roster will look like.

As for Martin, initially I was OK with the thought of trading for him, but the more I've read and heard, the less I want that can of worms in our locker room, fair or not. Glad we passed.

I think we need to remember that coming off a 3-13 season, Washington might not be the most attractive opportunity for many of the big ticket free agents on the market.

Thus far, I personally like the strategy of being fairly responsible in terms of spending and targeting guys who are young, but still have some league experience and room to grow.

I think this approach to free agency is hopefully a sign that the men in control of football personnel decisions might actually have a realistic sense of where this team stands personnel-wise.

Over-inflating what you actually are in terms of talent, then going out and throwing money around is one of the most efficient ways to cripple your franchise, as we've seen in the past in D.C. through first hand experience.

I think we need to remember that coming off a 3-13 season, Washington might not be the most attractive opportunity for many of the big ticket free agents on the market.

Thus far, I personally like the strategy of being fairly responsible in terms of spending and targeting guys who are young, but still have some league experience and room to grow.

I think this approach to free agency is hopefully a sign that the men in control of football personnel decisions might actually have a realistic sense of where this team stands personnel-wise.

Over-inflating what you actually are in terms of talent, then going out and throwing money around is one of the most efficient ways to cripple your franchise, as we've seen in the past in D.C. through first hand experience.

I have to agree, I'd rather take baby steps and keep solid ground under us, then take a leap and possibly fall flat on our faces... again..

we are in dire need of upgrades on the Oline and have limited resources, yet we are not even in the running when it comes to creative moves.

Martin started games on the Fins Oline last year and while he is obviously a bit of a headcase, the niners just got him for a CONDITIONAL 6th, in other words, if hes not on the roster, he costs them nothing, thats what good teams do, they mitigate risks.

Oh if we are going to run this idiot 3-4 yet again with the wrong players, why break the bank on Rak and now watch as the guy who inspired the switch is probably gonna get paid the same rough amount?

we need so many things on this team that 1-2 guys arent gonna be the difference, shannhan left this team in way worse shape than I thought, especially on defence, after 4 years what exactly do we have? we have a young qb who is coming off a horrible injury, we have a solid but not spectacular starting running back and 2 serviceable backups. a stellar number 2 and number 3 receiver, and a decent but injury prone young te. we have a good but not great LT and an oline that needs wholesale changes. a backup qb who may or may not be a good number 2 but is not a number 1.

On defence we now have nothing, we have a decent number 2 cb in hall a potential decent 3rd cb in amerson, a pair of solid but not spectacular OLB's who both look better suited to playing the rush DE in a 4-3, a couple solid DT's who would be better in a rotation, and no safety worth starting multiple games. literally way worse off than when shamahan took the defence and blew it up in what was easily the biggest mistake made by the team in decades.

I keep waiting for reasons to hope , I keep thinking " maybe gruden will get his shit together and make a really good chicken salad out of chicken shit" but so far hes retained the worst DC we have had in decades because they are buddies, he hasnt signed any key free agents or pushed for any outside the box thinking and im wondering of allen is just a cap guy.

we NEED outside the box thinking, or its gonna be another 5 years of watching up and down football.

you made this post 8 1/2 hours into free agency.

if you're going to be so critical you might want to spend some time figuring out peoples roles.

gruden didn't retain haslett, nor is he responsible for coming up with outside the box strategy. you might want to direct those complaints at allen.

if you're not happy with the free agent signings then you'll want to direct your criticism at morocco brown.

I don't think Ryman was suggesting that Rome, or in this case Redskins, are going to be built in a day. And I agree with most who suggest we don't go breaking the bank. I am glad we did not sign TJ Ward, Jarius Byrd of Aqib Talib for the money they ended up getting...although Ward's contract was more reasonable than the other 2.

At least for me, the fact that we are being more responsible is great, but we can afford to sign a big name and some times it's ok to do so...like this year at RT, S or CB. We got value in Cofield and Bowen a few years back, they were good signings at the mid-tier level so I know the value in it. But when you can afford to sign one of the best at their position when it's a position of need, why not?

Like many have said, there are players out there feeling out the market. I think some are going to get a rude awakening and some are going to be over paid. I just hope that if we do go for value across the board, it doesn't turn out like Josh Morgan. But I would not be unhappy with at least one marquis player at their position...just not anything like Albert Haynesworth.

I dont think I've ever read a positive comment about the team from Ryman.

I realize things didnt go well last season, and there are lots of holes to fill, but sheesh can it really be so bad on day one of FA that folks need to cry sky is falling already?

I realize things didnt go well last season, and there are lots of holes to fill, but sheesh can it really be so bad on day one of FA that folks need to cry sky is falling already?

i don't understand it either.

the team became a laughstock of the league by making knee-jerk moves and going for big splash free agency signings. here we are, by all accounts, taking a measured approach. people aren't happy.

i listened to sports radio this morning. ESPN 980 bumps the nationally syndicated Mike and Mike show for local guys when free agency opens, because in the past they wanted to capitalize on talking about all the big moves right out the gate. This year (like the last few) - they're all bored. Nothing to talk about. So naturally the conversation turns to criticizing the lack of moves because, well, they have nothing else to talk about so they're bitching that they have nothing else to talk about.

being highly critical is one thing, and there's nothing wrong with that. doing it this way... it doesn't make sense. not if you've been paying attention to the franchise for the last 20 years.

you made this post 8 1/2 hours into free agency.

if you're going to be so critical you might want to spend some time figuring out peoples roles.

gruden didn't retain haslett, nor is he responsible for coming up with outside the box strategy. you might want to direct those complaints at allen.

if you're not happy with the free agent signings then you'll want to direct your criticism at morocco brown.

Sorry but that's just Garbage. If Gruden didn't want Haslett he wouldn't be here. It's that simple and any other characterization is spin IMO. It might be negative and doom and gloom and it might be a bit premature but I pretty much agree with Ryman and it's going to stay that way until I see actual tangible reasons to stop feeling that way. I was a borderline homer for years, now that they've broken me of that it's going to take some serious evidence backed convincing before I buy in again. I don't expect nor want them to be the Offseason SB winners again but with as much cap room as we have to just sit and watch (essentially) has me more than a little leery.

Ryman, I agree with your assessment about how many holes we have. The cap hit didn't help, and Shanny was pretty awful. He left this roster in shambles. Just be happy he isn't here this season.

I'm happy so far. Aquib Talib would help us about as much as Revis helped the Bucs last season.

We have a ton of holes, literally, on every single unit. Offense, defense and ST. Take a deep breath. Give it a little time.

We need about seven really good guys. Not one or two incredible guys that opposing teams can work around.

Sorry but that's just Garbage. If Gruden didn't want Haslett he wouldn't be here. It's that simple and any other characterization is spin IMO. It might be negative and doom and gloom and it might be a bit premature but I pretty much agree with Ryman and it's going to stay that way until I see actual tangible reasons to stop feeling that way. I was a borderline homer for years, now that they've broken me of that it's going to take some serious evidence backed convincing before I buy in again. I don't expect nor want them to be the Offseason SB winners again but with as much cap room as we have to just sit and watch (essentially) has me more than a little leery.

Whether you agree with Ryman or not, and what you think falls into the category of being a homer and what doesn't, and where you fall along those categories, has nothing to do with how the team is structured.

There is not a HC monarchy in DC anymore. I know that makes it inconvenient because you can't lay all the blame at one person for everyone to point their pitchforks at, but the structure of this has changed dramatically.

Maybe Gruden wants Haslett, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he doesn't care. But the decision lays at the feet of Allen and no one else.

You can call being critical doom and gloom, I don't see it that way but if that's the label you want to use so be it. Same with being optimistic and calling that homerism.

Just point your pitchforks in the right direction.

Sorry if that's 'garbage' to you.

Eh, Ryman just has a different approach, that's all.

It's actually comforting, in a weird kind of way. With so many things changing around us every day, the stability of certain things can help to, reassure.

Ry's knowledge of defensive schemes/position responsibility are second to few. I value his insight there, very much. Knowing that I'll have to suffer his sometimes dismal outlook, is acceptable. At least to me. Aggravating at times. But, acceptable.

Ryman rocks!!!

Eh, Ryman just has a different approach, that's all.

It's actually comforting, in a weird kind of way. With so many things changing around us every day, the stability of certain things can help to, reassure.

Ry's knowledge of defensive schemes/position responsibility are second to few. I value his insight there, very much. Knowing that I'll have to suffer his sometimes dismal outlook, is acceptable. At least to me. Aggravating at times. But, acceptable.

Ryman rocks!!!

Its nothing personal, and I too respect his knowledge. I just am a bit surprised at the seemingly endless "curmudginism"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.