• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Need To Extend Trent Williams

Bulldog

The Legend
Reaction score
With the franchise tender for Orakpo Washington should look to create more cap space for 2014.

At over $11M, Trent Williams seems one of the best candidates.

He is one of the best linemen in the league and is perhaps our best player pound for pound.

The fact he plays a clear premium position to me makes this move a no-brainer.

I'm about the furthest thing from a capologist as there is around here, as has been shown recently ;)

So I don't get the pro's and cons of an early extension vs waiting until his contract is actually running out.

I do want trent williams here. I think he deserves to be paid like the best LT in the league because I think he is the best LT in the league, and there's a solid potential he'll stay that way for the next 4-5 years; maybe even get better.

Plus, I know if Griffin got into trouble with a defender on the field Williams would knock the dude out without a second thought and I like that.

Jeff George days

Problem was George was a grade A ass hat, so they just watched him get drug around.

You don't think Samuels and Jansen had their QB's backs? Rabach was a nasty mofo also, he would have dusted up for his QB I think. Randy Thomas also, all the dirtbags were stand up dudes, IMO.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

You don't think Samuels and Jansen had their QB's backs? Rabach was a nasty mofo also, he would have dusted up for his QB I think. Randy Thomas also, all the dirtbags were stand up dudes, IMO.

Actually, that's exactly who I was thinking of. I though that was their era, but I see Samuels just got drafted that year.

But yeah, that's literally the people I was thinking of. :)

Actually, that's exactly who I was thinking of. I though that was their era, but I see Samuels just got drafted that year.

But yeah, that's literally the people I was thinking of. :)

Jansen might have played with George, now that I think about it.

I'm about the furthest thing from a capologist as there is around here, as has been shown recently ;)

So I don't get the pro's and cons of an early extension vs waiting until his contract is actually running out.

If we owe him $11mil this year, you can resign him for 5 years... pay him $7mil this year, 8 next, 10 in 2016, 12 in 2017 and option 2018. He then has a long term deal, and we pay him more as the cap increases.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

If we owe him $11mil this year, you can resign him for 5 years... pay him $7mil this year, 8 next, 10 in 2016, 12 in 2017 and option 2018. He then has a long term deal, and we pay him more as the cap increases.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

But why would he accept that deal. He'd net out less per year and the team gets the option on 2018? Maybe I over value the LT position but that would seem like a cheap deal.

But why would he accept that deal. He'd net out less per year and the team gets the option on 2018? Maybe I over value the LT position but that would seem like a cheap deal.

You could convert some or all (or more) of his salary this year to a signing bonus, and that gets spread over the life of the deal.

Longer term. Risk of injury is huge. He might make $11 mil for next year, but he could extend and lock up 3 times that much. Plus his base could be $7 mil but you add a $4 mil bonus and the value in his pocket doesn't change. Incentives are an option as well to elevate that number, while altering the cap number

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

hrm. i need to learn more about the cap and how that stuff works. i don't get it.

i understand the risk for injury, i argued as much about orakpo being franchised and not liking it because of a long term deal. but he was expecting a huge deal, not a significant cut that would take him 4 years just to get back up to/over.

for instance - the deal you outlined for extending Williams is one I would take in a heartbeat for orakpo. but again, maybe I'm way over valuing LT...

edit: actually the franchise tag number for an o-lineman is higher than a linebacker. that would make me think LT is more valuable than LB. is the franchise tag a skewed way to evaluate that?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, left tackles get massive deals.

hrm. i need to learn more about the cap and how that stuff works. i don't get it.

i understand the risk for injury, i argued as much about orakpo being franchised and not liking it because of a long term deal. but he was expecting a huge deal, not a significant cut that would take him 4 years just to get back up to/over.

for instance - the deal you outlined for extending Williams is one I would take in a heartbeat for orakpo. but again, maybe I'm way over valuing LT...

edit: actually the franchise tag number for an o-lineman is higher than a linebacker. that would make me think LT is more valuable than LB. is the franchise tag a skewed way to evaluate that?

The movie Blind Side is based on the LT position. It's widely viewed as the most important position in football... and I tend to agree. The anchor of the entire offensive line is the LT position.

The movie Blind Side is based on the LT position. It's widely viewed as the most important position in football... and I tend to agree. The anchor of the entire offensive line is the LT position.

Technically the center anchors the OL (makes all the calls and what not), but LT protects the blind side and is more important. Unless your QB is a lefty. :)

Technically the center anchors the OL (makes all the calls and what not), but LT protects the blind side and is more important. Unless your QB is a lefty. :)

I didn't say LT was the coordinator, I said anchor. Anchor and coordinator are 2 different things. London Fletcher wasn't the anchor of our defense, that was arguably Kerrigan or one of the interior defensive linemen.

I didn't say LT was the coordinator, I said anchor. Anchor and coordinator are 2 different things. London Fletcher wasn't the anchor of our defense, that was arguably Kerrigan or one of the interior defensive linemen.

I know you didn't. I was disagreeing with you.

so you think Will Montgomery is the 'anchor' to our offensive line?

so you think Will Montgomery is the 'anchor' to our offensive line?

Your definition might differ from mine (I think until last season Fletcher was undoubtedly the anchor of the defense as well), but yes, the Center is the anchor of the OLine. It's the most cerebral position on the field outside of QB, makes all the line calls, points out blitzes so the rest of the OL know what to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.