• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: The Mock Drafts, 2014 (Continual Updates)

I'll have some info for you shortly-I'm starting to dig around various draft profiles and analyses of Leno, James, Richardson and Halapio to find similarities and differences. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll present what I found

Very nice! BGO's "stats guys" putting hypotheses to analysis!

Thank you Sirs!

A quick view of the four OL draft prospects the Redskins have interviewed.

First their combine physical measurements

Ja'wuan James 6'6"-311 lbs arm length-35" hand size-9 7/8"

Cyril Richardson 6'5"-329 lbs arm length-34 5/8" hand size-9 1/2"

Jon Halapio 6'3" -323 lbs arm length-33 5/8" hand size-10 1/4"

Charles Leno 6'4" -304 lbs arm length-34 3/8" hand size-10 1/8"

A quick analysis from Walter Football and, if available CBS Sports on these guys.

Ja'Wuan James

Walter Football

"2/15/14: James played well for Tennessee overall in 2013, including versus South Carolina. He got some double-team help when going against Jadeveon Clowney, but James kept Clowney from recording a sack. James is a tough run-blocker and a reliable pass-protector. He is surprisingly athletic for his size. At most colleges, Jones would have been a starting left tackle. Sources have told WalterFootball.com they see James going on Day 2 of the 2014 NFL Draft. He could be a nice sleeper pick.

8/9/13: While other linemen have received more attention, James has been the rock on Tennessee's offensive line. He has started all 37 games of his collegiate career at right tackle. The Volunteers allowed just 18 sacks (1.5 per game) last year, and James had a strong season protecting Tyler Bray.

James also has some power at the point of attack as a run-blocker. He is a preseason All-SEC selection entering the 2013 season. James is a right-tackle prospect for the NFL, but he could move inside to guard as well."

CBS Sports
"STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Surprisingly quick off the snap, showing the ability to slide to protect the edge against the variety of speed rushers he has faced in the SEC. Plays on the balls of his feet but with his knees bent and his butt down, putting him good position to shuffle laterally as well as anchor against a quality bull-rush. Surprisingly light feet also stand out while run-blocking, as does his competitive spirit.
Powerful at the point of attack and can drive defenders off the ball. Not shy about peeling off of them to target would-be tacklers at the second level, as well. A plug and play candidate, James looks like a solid bet to crack the first 100 picks of the 2014 draft.

WEAKNESSES: Like most blockers with his frame, James occasionally struggles with pad level. When he drops his head, he can be beaten with a swim move over the top. This occurs most often while run blocking.

--Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW

It is difficult to be overshadowed at 6-6, 324-pounds but given the high profile talent in Knoxville, James qualifies. The veteran of 37 consecutive starts at right tackle for the Vols entering the 2013 season, James is more fundamentally sound than talented junior left tackle Antonio "Tiny" Richardson and yet offers a similar package of size and athleticism."

Cyril Richardson-Walter Football only as CBS Sports had no recently written breakdown

"2/15/14: Richardson was dominant in the early going of 2013 as Baylor has put up some massive point totals against some weak opponents. Running back Lache Seastrunk had a lot of success running behind Richardson. The Bears' schedule got more difficult in the second half of the year, but Richardson still played well. He finished with solid performances against Texas and Central Florida.

At the Senior Bowl, Richardson really struggled with Pittsburgh's Aaron Donald. He not only beat Richardson routinely with speed rushes, but also dumped the big guard on his backside with some power rushes. It was a rough week for Richardson that really hurt his chances of being a first-round pick.

8/9/13: Richardson would probably fit best at guard in the NFL, but could maybe pull off right tackle. He played tackle in 2011, but was moved back to guard last year (he was there in 2010). The junior was much better at guard. Richardson opened up a lot of holes and was greatly improved as a pass-blocker. He has good size with a some quickness at guard.

Richardson could have a huge 2013 season as a run-blocker with a duo of excellent backs in Lache Seastrunk and Glasco Martin. A strong season could put Richardson in the running as the top guard prospect for the 2014 NFL Draft class.

Richardson did an overall good job of blocking for quarterback Robert Griffin III in 2011. Richardson also did well opening up holes in the ground game for Terrance Ganaway. There were games in 2011 in which Richardson allowed too much pressure, but he has the potential to develop into a quality prospect. "

Jon Halapio-no CBS Sports write-up but Walter Football had one.

"2/15/14: Florida had big hopes for a great season from Halapio, but he missed the first two games of 2013 with an injury. Halapio played well after returning to the lineup. He held his own against LSU. Halapio played through a ton of injuries. He had some good moments at the Senior Bowl, but wasn't always consistent. If Halapio can stay healthy, he could be nice value in the mid-rounds.

8/8/13: Halapio had a good 2012 season as a run-blocker for Mike Gillislee. Halapio is strong at the point of attack and pushes defensive linemen around. The senior needs to improve his pass protection and his ability to handle speed-rushers. Halapio allowed too much pressure as a sophomore."

Charles Leno-(I couldn't find a write-up on him on Walter Football but found one at CBS Sports)

"STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Long arms with a wide stance and nimble feet, staying light with his lateral shuffle. Coordinated athlete with good lean, balance and knee bend in his blocks. Nice job squaring his shoulders with proper eye use to track and mirror. Understands body angles with good patience and eye discipline. Shoots his hands and engages well with his length at the point of attack, riding rushers around the perimeter of the pocket. Positive attitude on and off the field. Tough and durable with versatile starting experience at both left and right tackle, starting every game the past three seasons (36 consecutive starts).
WEAKNESSES: Gives up ground at the point of attack and needs to develop his anchor and strengthen his lower body, too often rocked backwards. Needs to do a better job using his hands once engaged to better sustain. Needs to keep his hands inside to avoid holding calls and improve his placement. Lacks overwhelming strength in the run game and would like to see more of a killer attitude.

Needs to do a better job with his limbs to fend off rush moves. Will play undisciplined at times and needs to stay patient to win proper positioning.

--Dane Brugler

PLAYER OVERVIEW

A two-star high school recruit, Leno arrived in Boise as a little-known 265-pound tackle/tight end, but he quickly developed into a valuable cog on the Broncos? offensive line. He started at right tackle as a sophomore before taking over for Nate Potter at left tackle where he started every game as a junior and senior. He is looking to follow Ryan Clady, Daryn Colledge and Potter as the next Boise State left tackle to kickstart a NFL career. Leno has good athleticism, balance and mobility to move and mirror, but lacks ideal lower body power and base to dig his cleats in the ground and the limb strength to control blocks. He isn?t the most physical, but he has the traits to survive at the NFL level and projects as a down-the-road pro starter."

One thing I noticed, and it's something NFL scouts and coaches look for, most of these guys have over 30 consecutive game starts which is a pretty good indicator for durability.

Baylor, Boise State and as of the 2013 season Tennessee incorporate zone blocking to some extent-large or small or variations thereof-in their offense scheme so that may be something to keep in mind about the apparent interest shown by the Redskins coaching staff.

I don't have free time right now to try to get into a deep stat-collecting analysis of how their respective teams compared on pass/run scheme comparisons but looking at the physical attributes and write-ups on these guys may give insights as to why Jay G. and the staff are showing such interest and perhaps hints as to what they have in mind for the Redskins offense this upcoming season.

One more thing, I found a site that aggregates draft prospect videos and allows you to select them by various criteria, such as player position...etc. Thought I'd pass that along in case others might want to eyeball some of these guys.

Players | Draft Breakdown

"

Burner’s Burning Questions – The Mock Drafts, 2014 (Continual Updates)​

Like previous years, BBQ will do a series of mock drafts and will provide continual updates based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Trying to get a feel for what a new coach will do in free agency and the draft is difficult. There is no track record, so BBQ is looking strictly at team needs and making educated guesses based on team/coach statements and what some insiders have said. Putting together a collection of talent from the college ranks by BBQ typically starts in October, but some of that research took a hit when the old regime was let go and a new coach was hired. Hopefully we can do a good job with the mocks – your help is needed and the input from members at BGO will be incorporated in future mocks. Thanks for your help.

Team needs are OL, WR, DL, MLB, CB, FS, and ST. Some of these issues could be settled (somewhat) in free agency, but we will address those potential signings in future mocks. The format is a bit different than what we have seen in the past. In each round, other candidates for selection are featured.

Round Two:
The Redskins trade down and receive two second round picks.

Round Two: Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
Richardson is a big guard who can pull effectively and provide superb pass protection. Robert Griffin, III puts a good word in for his former teammate.

Round Two: Dion Bailey, S, USC
Bailey is a superb athlete and has good coverage skills. He led Southern Cal in interceptions and recorded an impressive six and a half tackles for a loss.

Other Possibilities:
Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia

Round Three: Keith McGill, CB, Utah
The Redskins have met with McGill and they are impressed with his size, speed, and ball hawking skills. He had an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl and continued to showcase his talent at the combine.

Other Possibilities:
Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor
Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska
Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State

Round Four:
The Redskins trade down and receive a fourth round pick and a fifth rounder.

Round Four: Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
The best pure route runner in the draft is a big bodied Badger who puts up large and consistent numbers. He could start sooner rather than later.

Other Possibilities:
Daniel McCullers, DT, Tennessee
Brent Urban, DE, Virginia
Kenny Ladler, S, Vanderbilt
Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

Round Five: Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech
In other years, Ellis would grade out as a second rounder. The deepest draft ever has him dropping to the fifth round and the Redskins get a steal at a vital position.

Round Five: Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State
Bullough grades much higher, but a deep draft and a couple of issues drops him to the fifth round. The issues are behind him and the Spartan looks to replace London Fletcher.

Other Possibilities:
Jeoffrey Pagan, DE/DT, Alabama
James Hurst, OT, North Carolina
Will Clarke, DE, West Virginia
Jordan Zumwalt, ILB/OLB, UCLA

Round Six: Charles Leno, Jr., OT, Boise State
Leno started at left tackle for the Broncos in thirty-eight straight games and was an All Mountain West first team selection. Making an NFL roster at left tackle would be a challenge for him, but right tackle is his calling at the next level and the Redskins pull the trigger.

Other Possibilities:
Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
DeAndre Coleman, DE/DT, California
Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State
T.J. Jones, WR, Notre Dame

Round Seven: Jordan Najvar, TE, Baylor
He rarely got targeted by the Bears as they rarely feature tight ends in the pass happy offense. When Najvar was targeted, he produced and put up good numbers. An excellent blocker and a superior special teamer is hard to pass up in the seventh round.

Other Possibilities:
Shaquil Barrett, OLB, Colorado State
Dontae Johnson, FS, N.C. State
Tim Flanders, RB, Sam Houston State
Glenn Carson, ILB, Penn State

UDFAs:
Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
Keith Price, QB, Washington
Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware
Andrew Rodriguez, OG, Nebraska
Ricky Havili-Heimuli, DE/DT, Oregon
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Steele Divitto, ILB, Boston College
Jerome Smith, RB, Syracuse
Chris Whaley, DE, Texas
Zac Kerin, C, Toledo
Jonathan Dowling, FS, Western Kentucky
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
Beau Allen, DT, Wisconsin
Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
Matt Hall, OT, Belhaven

One final note: Most mocks have Cyrus Kouandjio (OT, Alabama) going in the first or second rounds. BBQ has been able to learn that there are serious injury concerns and he could not be drafted at all. Adding him as an UDFA could be a steal by placing him on IR this year and letting him compete in the future.

Put that food down BB!

We've got work to do.

We'll see if there are changes with a new mock later this week. :)

We'll see if there are changes with a new mock later this week. :)

Later this week? Later this week?

Later this week, my azz. I'm not sure I can make it that long.

*Grabs food out of Ken's mouth, and throws it*

While I'm sure a trade down is very possible as well as standing pat and drafting O-Line/LB/CB/S with our second round pick, how do you feel about the possibility of drafting a TE at 34? Other than Reed, we really don't have quality depth. Paulsen is a decent blocker, spot starter and can get open but he's not really a down-the-middle-seam guy and I don't see Swiss Army Niles filling that role either, should Reed go down. If Jace Amaro falls to #34, I think he has to be a legitimate option.

You guys are toying with my emotions suggesting an o-lineman at 2. Fingers crossed though!

While I'm sure a trade down is very possible as well as standing pat and drafting O-Line/LB/CB/S with our second round pick, how do you feel about the possibility of drafting a TE at 34? Other than Reed, we really don't have quality depth. Paulsen is a decent blocker, spot starter and can get open but he's not really a down-the-middle-seam guy and I don't see Swiss Army Niles filling that role either, should Reed go down. If Jace Amaro falls to #34, I think he has to be a legitimate option.
If he's their BPA, and they can't trade back, sure.

Hell, the entertainment value here alone is worth it.

If a quality guy is there...I'd go CB without reservation.

1) Hall has abt another year or so in the tank.

2) I think we need to fall in with the trend and find a bigger cover guy (with speed)

3) In a pass happy league you stock pass rushers and coverage guys. I think our secondary remains the weakest of the three defense sub-units. So that's where I'd look.

by all appearances, the signing of Clark suggests they want someone to groom/professionalize young players. the question is...who? the two guys from last year or a draft pick this year. reports out of the senior bowl were the Skins engaged in force at interacting with safeties...one in particular whose name escapes me at the moment. so...they could still go safety iMO.

by all appearances, the signing of Clark suggests they want someone to groom/professionalize young players. the question is...who? the two guys from last year or a draft pick this year. reports out of the senior bowl were the Skins engaged in force at interacting with safeties...one in particular whose name escapes me at the moment. so...they could still go safety iMO.

I'm have no doubt a Safety or CB would be in play. I'm also sure a need will be filled at #34. What really intrigues me is seeing what they have a guy graded at when that spot comes around since, other than QB, RB and K/P, we'll most likely go BPA.

Since it's only the second pick of Day 2, I imagine we'll have trade down offers as well. It will be interesting to see if a guy the FO REALLY wants falls or if the grades are close enough to where a trade down becomes more likely. Fun times.....

Like previous years, BBQ will do a series of mock drafts and will provide continual updates based on team needs, free agency additions/losses, and injuries. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Trying to get a feel for what a new coach will do in free agency and the draft is difficult. There is no track record, so BBQ is looking strictly at team needs and making educated guesses based on team/coach statements and what some insiders have said. Putting together a collection of talent from the college ranks by BBQ typically starts in October, but some of that research took a hit when the old regime was let go and a new coach was hired. Hopefully we can do a good job with the mocks – your help is needed and the input from members at BGO will be incorporated in future mocks. Thanks for your help.

Team needs are OL, DL, MLB, CB, and FS. Some of these issues could be settled (somewhat) in free agency, but we will address those potential signings in future mocks. The most recent addition in free agency shook the NFL to its core as the Redskins landed DeSean Jackson. With that in mind, the latest mock draft has some changes. The format is a bit different than what we have seen in the past. In each round, other candidates for selection are featured.

Round Two:

Round Two: Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
Richardson is a big guard who can pull effectively and provide superb pass protection. Robert Griffin, III puts a good word in for his former teammate.

Round Two: Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Moses is the latest Virginia product to continue a tradition of quality tackle prospects from President Jefferson’s university. He is a talented player who should fit in at the right tackle position.

Other Possibilities:
Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
Dion Bailey, S, USC

The Redskins have met with McGill and they are impressed with his size, speed, and ball hawking skills. He had an impressive showing at the Senior Bowl and continued to showcase his talent at the combine.

Other Possibilities:
Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor

Round Four:

The best pure route runner in the draft is a big bodied Badger who puts up large and consistent numbers. With wide receivers such as Garcon, Jackson, Roberts, and Abbrederis, a weakness last season becomes the best unit on the team.

Other Possibilities:
Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

In other years, Ellis would grade out as a second rounder. The deepest draft ever has him dropping to the fifth round and the Redskins get a steal at a vital position.

Bullough grades much higher, but a deep draft and a couple of issues drops him to the fifth round. The issues are behind him and the Spartan looks to replace London Fletcher.

Other Possibilities:

Round Six: DeAndre Coleman, DE/DT, California
Coleman is a great fit at defensive end in a 3-4 scheme and has the ability to play some defensive tackle when needed. He would be a depth addition, but could become a starter within a year or two.

Other Possibilities:
Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn
Charles Leno, Jr., OT, Boise State

He rarely got targeted by the Bears as they rarely feature tight ends in the pass happy offense. When Najvar was targeted, he produced and put up good numbers. An excellent blocker and a superior special teamer is hard to pass up in the seventh round.

Other Possibilities:

UDFAs:
Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Chris Whaley, DE, Texas
Zac Kerin, C, Toledo
Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
Matt Hall, OT, Belhaven

One item of note: Most mocks have Cyrus Kouandjio (OT, Alabama) going in the first or second rounds. BBQ has been able to learn that there are serious injury concerns and he could not be drafted at all. Adding him as an UDFA could be a steal by placing him on IR this year and letting him compete in the future.

Once again, feel free to add your own mocks, ideas, and suggestions. Two more mocks will be posted next week.

Chris Johnson is getting cut.

Not that I want him...but someone will get a 1000 yard back.

He'd be a perfect compliment to morris...

I look at it the same way I did with jackson. No, because I assume he cannot be had for reasonable money.

But if they can get him on the cheap (cheaper than jackson since I think Johnson has less potential at this point,and he would be a #2 guy)....

Team needs are OL, DL, MLB, CB, and FS. Some of these issues could be settled (somewhat) in free agency, but we will address those potential signings in future mocks. Each week, there will be mocks with and without trades. The format is a bit different than what we have seen in the past. In each round, other candidates for selection are featured.

Moses is the latest Virginia product to continue a tradition of quality tackle prospects from President Jefferson’s university. He is a talented player who should fit in at the right tackle position.

Other Possibilities:
Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
Dion Bailey, S, USC

Round Three: Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor

Other Possibilities:
Keith McGill, CB, Utah

The best pure route runner in the draft is a big bodied Badger who puts up large and consistent numbers. With wide receivers such as Garcon, Jackson, Roberts, and Abbrederis, a weakness last season becomes the best unit on the team.

Other Possibilities:
Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

Other Possibilities:

Coleman is a great fit at defensive end in a 3-4 scheme and has the ability to play some defensive tackle when needed. He would be a depth addition, but could become a starter within a year or two.

Other Possibilities:
Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn

Other Possibilities:

UDFAs:
Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Chris Whaley, DE, Texas
Zac Kerin, C, Toledo
Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
Matt Hall, OT, Belhaven

One item of note: Most mocks have Cyrus Kouandjio (OT, Alabama) going in the first or second rounds. BBQ has been able to learn that there are serious injury concerns and he could not be drafted at all. Adding him as an UDFA could be a steal by placing him on IR this year and letting him compete in the future.

Once again, feel free to add your own mocks, ideas, and suggestions.

The BBQ mocks continue as we get a closer look at the prospects. The frequency of mocks will increase as we get closer to the draft and it will be a daily feature in the final week. Feel free to add your own ideas and mocks as we go along.

Team needs are OL, DL, MLB, CB, and FS. Some of these issues could be settled (somewhat) in free agency, but we will address those potential signings in future mocks. Each week, there will be mocks with and without trades. The format is a bit different than what we have seen in the past. In each round, other candidates for selection are featured.

Round Two:

Round Two: Gabe Jackson, G, Mississippi State
The Redskins make OL a priority with the first two picks in the draft. Jackson is a big bodied bruiser who would fit in perfectly at the right guard position. He is powerful in the running game and provides solid pass protection.

Other Possibilities:
Dominique Easley, DE, Florida
Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
Dion Bailey, S, USC

Other Possibilities:
Ahmad Dixon, S, Baylor

Round Four:

Round Four: Brent Urban, DE, Virginia
The Redskins return to Virginia and pluck an impressive 3-4 defensive end to bolster the line. Urban has enormous upside and would fit into the rotation quickly and could be a starter by mid season.

Other Possibilities:
Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin
Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon

Other Possibilities:

Other Possibilities:
Jay Prosch, FB, Auburn

Najvar rarely got targeted by the Bears as they rarely feature tight ends in the pass happy offense. When Najvar was targeted, he produced and put up good numbers. An excellent blocker and a superior special teamer is hard to pass up in the seventh round.

Other Possibilities:

UDFAs:
Zack Kerr, DT, Delaware
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Chris Whaley, DE, Texas
Zac Kerin, C, Toledo
Alfred Blue, RB, LSU
Matt Hall, OT, Belhaven

Once again, feel free to add your own mocks, ideas, and suggestions. Two more mocks will be posted next week.

As always.....A+ for effort!!

Question: what if Gruden determines during OTAs that one of the previous o-line drafts meets his needs. Does this change things?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.