• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Doug Williams Personnel Executive

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
February 10, 2014

REDSKINS NAME DOUG WILLIAMS PERSONNEL EXECUTIVE

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Doug Williams as Personnel Executive.

The hiring marks Williams’ return to the Redskins, with whom he was one of the most celebrated athletes in franchise history. Williams, a member of the 80 Greatest Redskins and a Redskins Ring of Famer, played with the Redskins from 1986-89 and led Washington to a Super Bowl XXII title, a 42-10 rout of the Denver Broncos. Williams, the first African-American quarterback to play in a Super Bowl, completed 18-of-29 passes for 340 yards with four touchdown passes to earn Super Bowl MVP honors.

"It's great to be home again,” Williams said. “It also is great to be affiliated with a GM and coach who are so focused and dedicated to winning. I have only one mission: to help this team obtain the talent it needs so the fans can experience the Super Bowl they deserve."

Williams is a veteran of 17 NFL seasons, including nine as a player and eight in scouting/personnel roles. He spent five seasons as Personnel Executive with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2004-08 before being named the team’s Director of Pro Personnel for the 2009 season.

"We are focused on finding people with genuine football insight and a passion for winning,” Executive Vice President/General Manager Bruce Allen said. “As a player, coach and scout, Doug has seen it all and done it all, and we believe he has an incredible talent for identifying the type of players we want with the Redskins."

Williams’ background also includes two separate stints as head coach at his alma mater, Grambling State, from 1998-2003 and 2011-13. Williams compiled a 61-34 (.642) record at Grambling, leading the Tigers to four Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC) championships, three Black College National Championships from 2000-02 and three 10-win seasons in his nine years leading the program.

Williams had a spectacular college career as Grambling’s quarterback from 1974-77, passing for more than 8,000 yards with 93 touchdowns, leading the Tigers to three Black College National Championships and two SWAC titles. He posted a 36-7 record as a starter and finished fourth in voting for the 1977 Heisman Trophy.

Williams, 58, is a native of Zachary, La.

WILLIAMS FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1974-77: Quarterback, Grambling State
1978-82: Quarterback, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1984: Quarterback, Oklahoma Outlaws (USFL)
1985: Quarterback, Arizona Outlaws (USFL)
1986-89: Quarterback, Washington Redskins
1991: Head Coach/Athletic Director, Point Coupee H.S. (New Roads, La.)
1993: Head Coach, Northeast H.S. (Zachary, La.)
1994: Running Backs Coach, U.S. Naval Academy
1995: Offensive Coordinator, Scottish Claymores (WLAF)
1995-96: College Scout, Jacksonville Jaguars
1997: Head Coach, Morehouse College
1998-2003: Head Coach, Grambling State
2004-08: Personnel Executive, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2009: Director of Pro Personnel, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2010-11: General Manager, Virginia Destroyers (UFL)
2011-13: Head Coach, Grambling State
2014: Personnel Executive, Washington Redskins

I am hoping McD can come in and provide some insight from his TB days, or anyone else for that matter. It would be nice to know, for instance, that he had his hands on some good moves the tam made during that time period.

So what responsibility will he have? The title says Personnel Executive...does that mean he is an equal to Morocco Brown or Scott Campbell? Is he in charge of them now? They have Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown listed as Directors of Pro and Player Personnel with AJ Smith as a Senior Executive. What does the hiring of another high profile individual do for the structure of our player personnel department?

I love this move. And not because his name is Doug Williams. I just don't see how this could hurt.

For years, it could certainly be argued that Dan has been incredibly cheap on many things besides the big name signings. From skimping on a scouting department, to holding out on a jumbotron for the stadium, to having one of the worst fields in the league. If it didn't sell tickets, Dan wasn't spending.

We need a strong foundation here. And while I want to believe Morocco Brown and Scott Campbell really were great but just ignored, I'm not so sure that Gruden can just blindly buy into that.

We have very smart fans here. I would expect that those located in NOVA would know more about a player from UVA or Va Tech than I would down here in Florida. Likewise, our Floridians here might have a better read on our local players from this state.

Now, AJ Smith can cover players from California. Doug can cover players from Florida, but especially players in the Division 2 african american colleges. Schools like Grambling (his alma mater), Bethune Cookman and FAMU. Players that can look at his career within this very organization, and see the success he had. Unlike Shanahan, I believe he can not only scout that talent, but likely relate to them well also.

I'd like to see two more scouts added. Our roster can use all the help we can get.

Maybe a scout in the New York area. And another with local knowledge of the Michigan/Ohio area. I like their linemen.

Let's put an end to the days where guys like Cerrato, Zorn, Dan and Shanahan would scout the talent. Let's bulk up in that department, and spread them across the country if possible.

So what responsibility will he have? The title says Personnel Executive...does that mean he is an equal to Morocco Brown or Scott Campbell? Is he in charge of them now? They have Scott Campbell and Morocco Brown listed as Directors of Pro and Player Personnel with AJ Smith as a Senior Executive. What does the hiring of another high profile individual do for the structure of our player personnel department?

I'm picturing the consultant scene from "Office Space," with El questioning Doug.

El: "What is it you'd say, ya DO around here?"

Doug: "I deal with the scouts, so the coaches don't have to! I'm a people person, coaches are not."

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Let's get a scout in Texas too.

Dan is one of the wealthier owners, we could probably benefit from having one of the larger scouting departments.

Let's sign five more.

Can't be a bad move, even if it is just for show. Doug always seemed a stand up guy. He can only help, me thinks.

I am REALLY hoping this is more than just lipstick on a pig...but I dont see how Doug Williams is anything more than the old super bowl winning star who is being trotted out to appease a pissed off fanbase.

I am REALLY hoping I am wrong.

Williams isn't that kind of cat. He wouldn't take a title for show, he'll earn his pay. He's about as genuine as they come, and will do everything in his power to help this team.

I like the move a lot.

My only concern is the structure of the hierarchy. Personnel Executive? What does that mean? I guess it all comes down to what Bruce said, he has final say and that's all that matters.

I remember him in the 80s as that guy who opened several cheesy sporting good stores that were boarded up after 2 years of him falling off the NFL map.

After taking a beating down in Tampa for the early part of his career, he didn't last long with us once he screwed his back up. I don't remember the sporting goods stores, but I can't blame a guy for trying to make a go at it to secure a future income. Gotta remember, you have players now making in four games what some players made for a season back in the 80's. Again, I don't remembers the stores, so I know no details of what happened.

Everywhere he's been, people love the guy, and he's viewed as having a successful post playing career. If you could only speak with him for 5 minutes, you'd instantly know what kind of guy he is.

Don't know what he'll be doing, but whatever it is, I have no doubt he'll put 110% into it.

A tiny bit of insight.....

Williams said that his role in Washington’s front office will entail talent evaluation both on the pro and college ranks, and that his duties are nearly identical to those that he handled while working with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers under current Redskins general manager Bruce Allen from 2004 to 2008.
“I’m going to be a personnel exec. What that entails is the opportunity to work on both sides of the ball — and when I say both sides of the ball, I’m talking about the college, and the pro,” Williams said in a phone interview Monday afternoon. “So, I’ll get a chance to work with [director of player personnel] Scott Campbell and [director of pro personnel] Morocco Brown about our players, and talk about the free agency, and talk about the college guys. …

Doug Williams?s role includes college and pro talent evaluation

I am REALLY hoping this is more than just lipstick on a pig...but I dont see how Doug Williams is anything more than the old super bowl winning star who is being trotted out to appease a pissed off fanbase.

Reportedly: he's being used as a scout/talent evaluator at the collegiate level and for FA. He has also been, it is reported, messaging with RGIII for several mos.

whoops...didn't see previous post.

I was thinking the same thing, but I feel a lot better after hearing Cooley talk about this on the radio.

What he said is that D Williams was brought in mostly because he's uniquely skilled as a judge of character, and he's near impossible to B.S.

So he'll be interviewing not only potential draft picks and free agents, but current players who are having troubles on and off the field. If Doug says they're a lost cause, then we'll be looking elsewhere.

I guess you could call him a bomb-sniffing dog.

Think of all the players the Skins have had over the years who improved the team by leaving it: Jeff George, Haynesworth, Deion Sanders, Stubby...

Geez, never mind, the list is long and depressing. If Doug Williams can help avoid even half of these con artists, Snyder could save enough cash to put the Pro Bowl roster on our practice squad.

Chris Cooley said Williams is a "guy guy." He's got experience in every aspect of the game and can be a great judge of character, as well as personnel guy. Apparently he has a knack for the mental side of players, and having a guy like him around the locker room can only be a good thing.

From the history of Doug Williams character, I cannot, would not and will not future ever allow myself he'd be ever entice and utilized as someone less that "I'm here because this is my home". End quote me, I will say nothing more, I believe any questions at this hire, much like when Gibbs and Buges came home is directly because they love the fans, "us" as much as we've loved them.

I think the impact he can have on RG3 as a mentor is being overlooked here. I'd be willing to bet that was a big component in this hire.

This seems to be a great hire. Nothing but upside as far as I see. Anything Doug can bring to Robert in his role and playing within himself is all positive. But he has experience in recognizing what makes a football player. He's not just a talking head.

I think the impact he can have on RG3 as a mentor is being overlooked here. I'd be willing to bet that was a big component in this hire.

Cooley touched on this too. Czabe made the inclination of Williams being beneficial as a successful African American QB, who has won a championship as well as the hearts of a city, primarily as a hypothetical.... and Cooley immediately shot the the 'black' part and said the rest holds true. That color aside, Doug Williams' office door will always be open, in the event that Griff ever come knocking.

Cooley might shoot that down but I still don't discount it. Cooley might have been in the locker room and been in the NFL but he's never been a black NFL quarterback. Whether he likes it or not there are different challenges there that don't exist for others. I'd remind people of the "he's not black enough" and "he needs to use his voice for his people" and the "he's a sellout with his white wife" comments etc. I can't remember other black players dealing with those comments, certainly not on that level and not for quite some time in the NFL. Doug Williams can be a great mentor in that sense alone, the rest is just bonus. I'd bet money a large part of the charge he was given was to help Robert learn how to "grow up" in the NFL.

...That color aside, Doug Williams' office door will always be open, in the event that Griff ever come knocking.

So when Griffin is having problems with Gruden he can run to Williams?

Look, I am not saying this is what's going to happen, but I am kinda tired of hearing about Griffin's "concerns". He needs to go to Jay Gruden with his problems. That's what a head coach is for. He doesn't need to be going up to Doug's office, unless he's seen Gruden first and Jay directs him there. And if he does have a problem with Gruden, he sure as **** better go to Gruden first and not run to the exec in the front office.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.