• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Offseason Edition, Free Agency 2014

Saturday morning, first of the month update...

If a deal is not struck soon with Orakpo, his tag will be $11.455 mil.

The Redskins will not be re-signing Brandon Meriweather. That will void his contract and produce a cap savings of $2.2 mil. With the voiding of Josh Morgan's contract and the retirement of London Fletcher, the total savings under the cap will be $12.6 mil.

It is all but certain that the Redskins will release Adam Carriker. The savings will amount to $3.2 mil.

There will be no compensatory picks this year for the Redskins.

Last edited:
Wonder if they offer Carriker a one year "prove it" deal to come back?

I don't know why it's later than usual, but the Countdown Clock on the homepage is accurate. Free agency starts March 11th.

I wasn't doubting the date, just curious why they moved it back. The draft is in May this year also, they pushed that back as well. Maybe they're trying to space out the offseason better? Who knows.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I wasn't doubting the date, just curious why they moved it back. The draft is in May this year also, they pushed that back as well. Maybe they're trying to space out the offseason better? Who knows.

They want to keep the league in the news year round...

Jan.: Playoffs
Feb: Super Bowl and combine
March/April: Free Agency/draft talk
May: Draft
June: Mini-camps
July/Aug : training camp

Then the season. They do not want one month to pass without something happening newsworthy in the league.

OK, now that we are getting a clearer look at who will be available, we can speculate for the next week.

Some of the names that are interesting are:

Defensive Backs

Jarius Byrd - No thanks. Worried too much about money over the last 2 years.

TJ Ward - Cleveland Tagged Mack...he's out. Ward is allowed to walk, I would rather have him than Byrd.

Donte Whitner - Older, not as talented as the previously mentioned, maybe if price is right

Antoine Bethea - Not sure what our scheme is going to be, but Bethea is pretty good in coverage.

Aqib Talib - Last year I was so hopeful we'd get him. This year, I am not as excited. He is a top talent, but after re-signing Hall, I doubt he's in the cards...especially since we have 2 young CB's coming back from injury. I wouldn't be upset if we paid him modestly.

Alterraun Verner - A little smaller than the trend for bigger CB's but talented and probably available at a fair price. I prefer Talib.

Vonate Davis - Not sure about Davis, but he's young and had some solid outings in games I saw Indy play last year.

Defensive Line

Arthur Jones - Being in the Baltimore market I saw this kid play a lot last year. He disrupts the game. He is a powerful player at the point of attack. Sign him!

Michael Johnson - Don't know enough about him, but I am sure Gruden would. He's highly ranked and just turned 27...a 3 or 4 year contract?

Lamarr Houston - Another player ranked in the "2nd tier" of this FA class. Touted as a solid run stuffer and gets pressure up the middle. Sounds like something we need desperately.

Michael Bennet - Only concern with him would be that he is seeking one final payday since he's gotten his SB, but he's definitely one of the top DE's in FA this year.

Linval Joseph - Not a fan of his since he's the one who stomped on Montgomery in a game 2 seasons ago, but there is no denying his talent.

Offensive Line

Eugene Monroe - Surprised to see a Raven's OL so desperate for help let one of the good ones go so easily. He's an LT, but he'd be a good bookend for Trent.

Jared Velheer - He's an LT and would want LT money so the likelihood of signing him at a fair value for RT is slim. Is this a position to over pay a player? I think so since Alex Mack was tagged.

Brandon Albert - same situation...just not going to move to RT unless he's paid RT money. Ugh!

Anthony Collins - Would not be a bit surprised if he ends up here. He has to be an upgrade over Turnstyler...right?

Zach Strief - The OL in NO has been solid for years now.

Wide Receiver

Eric Decker - He's likely going to get #1 money...we should not pay him that much. But I wouldn't mind having a proven big body to go to at WR.

Julian Edelman - We need a slot receiver...could he stay healthy for a season?

Emmanuel Sanders - I would not be opposed to seeing Sanders come aboard for fair market value.

Of the players I listed, there are 2 I would definitely want us to sign...Monday.

Jared Veldheer - Young and very talented, but he's an LT. Give him the money and move him over.

Arthur Jones - Kid is a baller.

A few of these players I would definitely consider given the right price.

TJ Ward
Zach Strief or Anthony Collins if we couldn't get Veldheer to slide over to RT.
Eric Decker provided we got the right price - not a player we could afford to over pay.
Aqib Talib will be likely be going after his final big payday. At 28 his skills will diminish from here. Right now he is one of the best in the game...2 years from now? We can't pay him what he likely wants.

A few names that were not priorities but could be role players:

Paul Soliai - A little older now but still a big body for a rotation. Probably pass because of his age, but would rather have he and Chris Baker at NT than Cofield...push Cofield to the DE.
BJ Raji - Will likely want wayyyyy too much.
Randy Starks - Stop Gap one year deal only.
Daryl Smith - Often mentioned is Ozzie's draft ability, but he acquired a couple players last off-season who were very productive, this guy was one of them. But he's 31.

Not a huge fan of older players, but we have some holes that need to be filled if only for one season.

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition, Free Agency 2014, Part Four​

We continue our look at the offseason and the latest developments. Some teams have started to sign their own and the Redskins are no exception. Jonathan Martin will continue to be a focal point with BBQ entries in the coming days. This is in anticipation of his release or a conditional seventh round trade. BBQ also believed that it was necessary for the Redskins to re-sign Brian Orakpo or place the franchise tag on him. The latter has occurred.

This year, it will be a buyer’s market for wide receivers and the Redskins have plenty of cap space. It has also become a buyer’s market for offensive tackles and that favors the Redskins. Watch for particular moves in either direction in the early days of free agency. At the center position, Will Montgomery is due $3.4 million and could be a cap casualty. The Redskins are intrigued by late season addition J.D. Walton and could add another center via free agency or the draft. So far, the Redskins have re-signed Doug Worthington, Aldrick Robinson, DeAngelo Hall, Jose Gumbs, and Chris Baker. As mentioned, the franchise tag has been applied to Brian Orakpo.

Here are some of the free agents that could be targeted. Obviously, the Redskins can’t sign each player, but having substantial cap room allows for some flexibility. Who do you like in this list and who would you avoid?

OL
Anthony Collins (T), Age: 28,29
Rodger Saffold (T), Age: 26
Jonathan Martin (T), Age: 25 (could be released)
Geoff Schwartz (G), Age: 28
Jon Asamoah (G), Age: 26
Evan Dietrich-Smith (C), Age: 28
Brian De La Puente, (C), Age: 29

WR
Julian Edelman, Age: 28
Golden Tate, Age: 26
Andre Roberts, Age: 26

TE
Brandon Myers, Age: 28,29
Scott Chandler, Age: 29

DL
Lamarr Houston (DE), Age: 27
Arthur Jones (DE), Age: 28
Linval Joseph (DT), Age: 25,26
Randy Starks (DT, DE), Age: 30

ILB
Donald Butler, Age: 25,26
Brandon Spikes, Age: 27
Vinny Rey (RFA), Age: 27

CB
Vontae Davis, Age: 26
Alterraun Verner, Age: 25, 26
Sam Shields, Age: 26,27
Aqib Talib, Age: 28

S
Jairus Byrd, Age: 27,28
Chris Clemons, Age: 28,29
T.J. Ward, Age: 27,28
Mike Mitchell, Age: 27
Nate Allen, Age: 26, 27

BBQ would like to see five of these players signed and prefers Anthony Collins, Geoff Schwartz, T.J. Ward, Julian Edelman, and Linval Joseph. If released, BBQ would like to see the Redskins put in a waiver claim for Jonathan Martin. Do you agree or disagree? Are there other players that you would like to see on this list?

Trying to decide who should stay and who should go is a difficult task, but BBQ takes a stab at it.

Players To Retain:
Perry Riley (ILB), Age: 26
Reed Doughty (S, ST), Age: 31, 32
Rob Jackson (OLB), Age: 28,29
Darryl Tapp (OLB), Age: 29,30
J.D. Walton (C), Age: 27

Players To Release/Not Re-Sign:
Rex Grossman
Santana Moss
Josh Morgan
Fred Davis
Josh Wilson
Stephen Bowen
Kedric Golston
Adam Carriker
London Fletcher
Bryan Kehl
Dezmon Briscoe
Nick Barnett
E.J. Biggers
Chris Chester
Kyle Nelson
Tyler Polumbus
Jawan Jamison
Baccari Rambo
Troy Kropog
Tanard Jackson

It’s a long list, but a 3-13 record usually means a number of players must go and a certain number stays. What are your preferences?

Players To Keep - Camp Fodder/Practice Squad:
David Gettis
Tevita Stevens
Richard Quinn
Kevin Kowalski
Robert Malone
Gabe Miller
Ryan Mouton
Trent Robinson
Adrian Robinson

Bubble Players To Keep For Now:
Josh Bellamy
Tom Compton
Will Compton
Richard Crawford
Adam Gettis
DaJohn Harris
Josh Hull
Maurice Hurt
Jeremy Kimbrough
Josh LeRibeus
Miguel Maysonet
Chase Minnifield
Chris Neild
Niles Paul
Evan Royster
Chris Thompson

Many of these players are mostly longshots and while some will make the opening day roster, others will fight for a practice squad designation or try to impress other teams.

There you have it – the fourth installment of BBQ’s look at free agency, 2014. Feel free to discuss these players and what you think the team should do in free agency.

Hail To The Redskins!

I'd love to see Andre Roberts brought in here, who would be a great compliment to Garçon in the slot, or on the opposite side (he can play either). He was the victim of limited opportunity in Arizona, with Fitzgerald and Floyd getting most of the looks, but could thrive as the #2 option here. He'll also be cheaper than Edelman, and much more durable.

He can also return kicks and punts.

BB...a "keep in mind" thought: Kapernick is seeking $18 mil from SF. Robert will likely want same. We need to keep some cash lying around for RG and Kerrigan next year (and Rak unless a longer term contract gets done over the next several mos).

Keep Niles Paul -> at the very least one of the few who wants and can play STs.

well...if it's XMAS:

- ward or byrd

- arthurs or joseph

- collins and swartz

- undecided on a cb

am expecting two....very unlikely 3....starter FA signings. so, I would prioritize RT, S. Third guy could be a second tier WR. that leaves CB, DL, G for the draft. too many holes to fill in one season. now, that's a balanced strategy. Skins are gonna have to decide balanced, all in on D, all in on O. fastest return, IMO, is to go all in on O. in which case I sign a T, G and WR. Draft DL, ILB and STs/depth. fix the rest next off-season. shoot for 8-8 next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw this and it points to why we haven't been successful. A very sad stat.

Since 1983, only 3 #Redskins first-round picks have signed 2nd contracts w/the team—Arrington, Samuels, and Darrell Green. #RedskinsTalk

I just saw an updated number. I saw this tweet on csnwashington.com.

#Redskins have had 21 (corrected) 1st-rounders since 1983. Trent, Kerrigan, and RG3 don’t have expiring deals for another couple of years.

Two things:

1. After 3-13 I don't see us being able to lure any free agents on minimum plus incentive deals, at least not the players in that list in the thread. Players may take a discount to go to SF or Denver or Green Bay but I don't see anyone that eager to come here.

2. My gut says to stay away from first day signings. The first few guys get over the top money and guys signing a week later often come for less despite their talent level still being fairly high.

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition, Free Agency 2014, Part Five​

We continue our look at the offseason and the latest developments. Some teams have started to sign their own and the Redskins are no exception. Too, teams have released players and the Redskins have released some veterans as well. Jonathan Martin will continue to be a focal point with BBQ entries in the coming days. This is in anticipation of his release or a conditional seventh round trade. BBQ also believed that it was necessary for the Redskins to re-sign Brian Orakpo or place the franchise tag on him. The latter has occurred.

This year, it will be a buyer’s market for wide receivers and the Redskins have plenty of cap space. It has also become a buyer’s market for offensive tackles and that favors the Redskins. Watch for particular moves in either direction in the early days of free agency. At the center position, Will Montgomery is due $3.4 million and could be a cap casualty. The Redskins are intrigued by late season addition J.D. Walton and could add another center via free agency or the draft. So far, the Redskins have re-signed Doug Worthington, Aldrick Robinson, DeAngelo Hall, Jose Gumbs, and Chris Baker. As mentioned, the franchise tag has been applied to Brian Orakpo. The team has released Adam Carriker, Jawan Jamison, Davin Megget, Richard Quinn, and Sav Rocca thus far.

Here are some of the free agents that could be targeted. Obviously, the Redskins can’t sign each player, but having substantial cap room allows for some flexibility. Who do you like in this list and who would you avoid?

OL
Anthony Collins (T), Age: 28,29
Rodger Saffold (T), Age: 26
Jonathan Martin (T), Age: 25 (could be released)
Geoff Schwartz (G), Age: 28
Jon Asamoah (G), Age: 26
Evan Dietrich-Smith (C), Age: 28
Brian De La Puente, (C), Age: 29

WR
Julian Edelman, Age: 28
Golden Tate, Age: 26
Andre Roberts, Age: 26

TE
Brandon Myers, Age: 28,29
Scott Chandler, Age: 29

DL
Lamarr Houston (DE), Age: 27
Arthur Jones (DE), Age: 28
Linval Joseph (DT), Age: 25,26
Randy Starks (DT, DE), Age: 30

ILB
Brandon Spikes, Age: 27
Vinny Rey (RFA), Age: 27

CB
Vontae Davis, Age: 26
Alterraun Verner, Age: 25, 26
Sam Shields, Age: 26,27
Aqib Talib, Age: 28

S
Jairus Byrd, Age: 27,28
Chris Clemons, Age: 28,29
T.J. Ward, Age: 27,28
Mike Mitchell, Age: 27
Nate Allen, Age: 26, 27

BBQ would like to see five of these players signed and prefers Anthony Collins, Geoff Schwartz, T.J. Ward, Julian Edelman, and Linval Joseph. Of those five that may not be signed, a second tier could include Rodger Saffold, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Andre Roberts, Arthur Jones, and Chris Clemons. The Redskins should put in a contract for Vinny Rey. He would come relatively cheap and there is no compensation required. If released, BBQ would like to see the Redskins put in a waiver claim for Jonathan Martin. Do you agree or disagree? Are there other players that you would like to see on this list?

Trying to decide who should stay and who should go is a difficult task, but BBQ takes a stab at it.

Players To Retain:
Perry Riley (ILB), Age: 26
Reed Doughty (S, ST), Age: 31, 32
Rob Jackson (OLB), Age: 28,29
Darryl Tapp (OLB), Age: 29,30
J.D. Walton (C), Age: 27
E.J. Biggers (CB), Age: 27
* Stephen Bowen (DT), Age: 30
* Chris Chester (OG), Age: 31

* Must Restructure Contract

Players To Release/Not Re-Sign:
Rex Grossman
Santana Moss
Josh Morgan
Fred Davis
Josh Wilson
Kedric Golston
London Fletcher
Bryan Kehl
Dezmon Briscoe
Nick Barnett
Kyle Nelson
Tyler Polumbus
Baccari Rambo
Troy Kropog
Tanard Jackson

It’s a long list, but a 3-13 record usually means a number of players must go and a certain number stays. What are your preferences?

Players To Keep - Camp Fodder/Practice Squad:
David Gettis
Tevita Stevens
Kevin Kowalski
Robert Malone
Gabe Miller
Ryan Mouton
Trent Robinson
Adrian Robinson

Bubble Players To Keep For Now:
Josh Bellamy
Tom Compton
Will Compton
Richard Crawford
Adam Gettis
DaJohn Harris
Josh Hull
Maurice Hurt
Jeremy Kimbrough
Josh LeRibeus
Miguel Maysonet
Chase Minnifield
Chris Neild
Evan Royster
Chris Thompson

Many of these players are mostly longshots and while some will make the opening day roster, others will fight for a practice squad designation or try to impress other teams.

After reading one thread in the forum, BBQ fully agrees with the idea of extending Trent Williams now. It could save several millions of dollars this year and next with the cap.

There you have it – the fifth installment of BBQ’s look at free agency, 2014. Feel free to discuss these players and what you think the team should do in free agency.

Hail To The Redskins!

Perry Riley thinks he is worth franchise money.

Not going to happen.

I don't see him returning.

There was a big argument here over whether Orakpo was elite. But at least it was an argument.

I don't think anyone puts Riley in the top ranks at ILB.

That is why I am promoting Vinny Rey now. He is better than Riley and could literally be stolen from the Bengals.

Yeah, Riley is not elite. He's in for a rude awakening if he's expecting to dollar as a free agent.

He might think he has us over a barrel since we're losing Fletcher, and don't have an apparent replacement on the team for either of them. He may leave out of spite, even if we match whayever pay he gets elsewhere.

Of course, he's about as valuable as Pierce was at the time he left, and everybody lost their minds when we let him go. He's due a good raise. But he's not a top 10 ILB. Maybe top 15-20.

I'd hate to see Riley go, but if he's looking for franchise money, as BT says, that's not even a debate.

He's a solid player and he'll get solid money, probably somewhere else after he's tested the market. Oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.