• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Offseason Edition, Free Agency 2014

Riley may get a rude awakening if tests the waters. To change teams he will need to learn a new system and possibly not have it as good.

Sometimes an agent can give bad advice to a player. It's possible his agent has him believing he is worth all this money. Sometimes you just need to be realistic.

I just hope Keenan Robinson can give us some depth at the very least. We will have to sign an ILB and there are a few choices out there for a 1 year stop gap. The reality is we are going to have to rent a player or 2 for a year and this is probably a position we need to do it. If Riley thinks he can get better money eslewhere...then let him walk!

I personally have not seen the reports about Riley asking for "elite" money, but isn't that just part of negotiating? It seems like whenever we have a homegrown player raise his game and ask for money, we say "let him walk!", and then when they do walk and play well elsewhere (Pierce, Clark, ect), we say the team was stupid to let these guys get away.

I thought Riley played pretty well this past season all things considered. I don't think he is an elite MLB, but I don't suspect he really thinks he is either and don't blame him for trying to get paid as much as possible. I hope the team makes him a fair offer, maybe along the lines of a top 10-20 MLB salary whatever that is, and I really hope he takes it.

If we want to be a team that builds through the draft we need to pay these young guys that come up through the ranks. It sends the right message to the rest of the team and possible future players. I don't mean overpay, but pay fairly and maybe even a tad on the high side. I'd much rather see guys like Clark, Pierce, and Alexander stick around instead of seeing us overpay other teams players like we've done so many times.

From what Schefter was discussing on 980 Riley is looking for $7.5-8M per season.

Riley lead the team in tackles but he missed his share as well. He was also a target in the red zone for opposing offenses.

From what Schefter was discussing on 980 Riley is looking for $7.5-8M per season.

Riley lead the team in tackles but he missed his share as well. He was also a target in the red zone for opposing offenses.

Ugh.

That's what i wanted to pay Orakpo... Riley? He's just not shown to me that he's worth that...

To me that screams that Riley thinks he has significant leverage since Fletcher is gone. He thinks we're afraid of replacing both ILBS. Hello?! We were 3-13. Almost everyone's replaceable.

Maybe I'm just becoming an old man and have a completely skewed vision of value for NFL players...

I'm not sure what the average salary for starting MLB is, but that seems high. I do think re-signing him should be a priority, simply due to the same reasons I wanted to re-sign Rak. There are already enough holes to fill without creating another one. :(

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Early Friday afternoon BBQ update.

Here is an update on the cap. As mentioned earlier, there are going to be some spikes in the coming years, but now it is much higher.

The cap this season is $133 mil. Next year, it is now expected to be $145 mil. The following year, the cap is expected to leap to around $160 mil. So today's big contracts could be tomorrow's bargains.

BBQ advocates the following:

Extend Trent Williams asap.
Sign the aforementioned five "big name" FAs - at least four.
Get a contract done with Orakpo asap.
Extend Ryan Kerrigan later this summer.
Do not overpay for Perry Riley, but give him a fair contract.

More to come before FA begins on Tuesday.

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition, Free Agency 2014, Part Six​

We continue our look at the offseason and the latest developments. Several teams have been signing their own free agents and the Redskins are no exception. Too, teams have released players and the Redskins have released some veterans as well. Free agency begins on Tuesday and the joys of tracking Redskins One at 4pm EDT will begin in earnest. Jonathan Martin continues to be a focal point for BBQ entries and would be a desirable addition. This is in anticipation of his release or a conditional seventh round trade. BBQ also believed that it was necessary for the Redskins to re-sign tagged OLB Brian Orakpo as soon as possible.

This year it will be a buyer’s market for wide receivers and offensive tackles. The Redskins have plenty of cap space and we should watch for particular moves in either direction during the early days of free agency. At the center position, Will Montgomery is due $3.4 million and could be a cap casualty. The Redskins are intrigued by late season addition J.D. Walton and could add another center via free agency or the draft. So far the Redskins have re-signed Doug Worthington, Aldrick Robinson, DeAngelo Hall, Jose Gumbs, and Chris Baker. The team has released Adam Carriker, Jawan Jamison, Davin Megget, Richard Quinn, and Sav Rocca.

Here are some of the free agents that could be targeted. Obviously, the Redskins can’t sign each player, but having substantial cap room allows for some flexibility. Who do you like in this list and who would you avoid?

OL
Anthony Collins (T), Age: 28,29
Rodger Saffold (T), Age: 26
Jonathan Martin (T), Age: 25 (could be released)
Geoff Schwartz (G), Age: 28
Jon Asamoah (G), Age: 26
Evan Dietrich-Smith (C), Age: 28
Brian De La Puente, (C), Age: 29

WR
Julian Edelman, Age: 28
Golden Tate, Age: 26
Andre Roberts, Age: 26

TE
Brandon Myers, Age: 28,29
Scott Chandler, Age: 29

DL
Lamarr Houston (DE), Age: 27
Arthur Jones (DE), Age: 28
Linval Joseph (DT), Age: 25,26
Randy Starks (DT, DE), Age: 30

ILB
Vinny Rey (RFA), Age: 27
Karlos Dansby, Age: 32,33
Brandon Spikes, Age: 27

CB
Vontae Davis, Age: 26
Alterraun Verner, Age: 25, 26
Sam Shields, Age: 26,27
Aqib Talib, Age: 28

S
Jairus Byrd, Age: 27,28
Chris Clemons, Age: 28,29
Mike Mitchell, Age: 27

BBQ would like to see five of these players signed and prefers Anthony Collins, Geoff Schwartz, Chris Clemons, Andre Roberts, and Linval Joseph. Of those five that may not be signed, a second tier could include Rodger Saffold, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Golden Tate, Arthur Jones, and Vontae Davis. The Redskins should put in a contract for Vinny Rey. He would come relatively cheap and there is no compensation required. If released, BBQ would like to see the Redskins put in a waiver claim for Jonathan Martin. Do you agree or disagree? Are there other players that you would like to see on this list?

Trying to decide who should stay and who should go is a difficult task, but BBQ takes a stab at it.

Players To Retain:
Perry Riley (ILB), Age: 26
Reed Doughty (S, ST), Age: 31, 32
Rob Jackson (OLB), Age: 28,29
Darryl Tapp (OLB), Age: 29,30
J.D. Walton (C), Age: 27
E.J. Biggers (CB), Age: 27
* Stephen Bowen (DT), Age: 30
* Chris Chester (OG), Age: 31

* Must Restructure Contract

Players To Release/Not Re-Sign:
Rex Grossman
Santana Moss
Josh Morgan
Fred Davis
Josh Wilson
London Fletcher
Bryan Kehl
Dezmon Briscoe
Nick Barnett
Kyle Nelson
Tyler Polumbus
Troy Kropog
Tanard Jackson

It’s a long list, but a 3-13 record usually means a number of players must go and a certain number stays. What are your preferences?

Players To Keep - Camp Fodder/Practice Squad:
David Gettis
Tevita Stevens
Kevin Kowalski
Robert Malone
Gabe Miller
Ryan Mouton
Trent Robinson
Adrian Robinson

Bubble Players To Keep For Now:
Josh Bellamy
Tom Compton
Will Compton
Richard Crawford
Adam Gettis
DaJohn Harris
Josh Hull
Maurice Hurt
Jeremy Kimbrough
Josh LeRibeus
Miguel Maysonet
Chase Minnifield
Chris Neild
Evan Royster
Chris Thompson

Many of these players are mostly longshots and while some will make the opening day roster, others will fight for a practice squad designation or try to impress other teams.

After reading one thread in the forum, BBQ fully agrees with the idea of extending Trent Williams now. It could save several millions of dollars this year and next with the cap.

There you have it – the sixth installment of BBQ’s look at free agency, 2014. Feel free to discuss these players and what you think the team should do in free agency.

Hail To The Redskins!

I keep hearing that Edelman is a target, and I can not stress enough how little I like this, if true. Sigh. Outside of Welker,who is the last WR from the Pats that went elsewhere and did anything? Brady makes them look a HELL of a lot better than they really are. I am intrigued by Andre Roberts at the right price, aside from that, I say we draft someone and stick with Hank for another year.

Roberts is a guy I wouldn't mind seeing in the Burgundy & Gold, as well. Not interested in Edelman, or Tate.

And I continue to have zero interest in Jonathon Martin.

I said that exact thing in another thread, Goal. Roberts will be cheaper, and I think better.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Multiple sources are out right now claiming that we have begun a "hard push" for Aqib Talib today.

Personally, I'd prefer just rolling with D Hall and Amerson.

Then again, I'm not sure if we even have a third CB that we can count on.

I'd love to see Chase and Crawford return at 100%, but can we even take that chance?

You don't draft free agents only looking at the upcoming season. Hall had a good season last year (for him) but he's not a long-term answer. Amerson showed flashes but we can't be sure if he'll continue to progress. And the others? I'd like to think Chase is a diamond in the rough, but until he does it on the field and shows he can stay healthy, he's just a long shot. If we have a chance to nab Talib, we ought to make as strong a play as we can.

You make great points....

I think the question here is if not Talib, then who?

Unless we go with Hall and Amerson this year, and hope to draft a stud next year. And then sign some vet this year to play the nickel.

I'd be a little concerned about the chemistry between Hall and Talib.

Hall was exceptional against some of the top WRs in the league last year. Hall wasn't so great in Oakland, when he wasn't the number one CB.

How do the coaches tell Hall that he won't be covering Dez next year? Because if Talib is on the team, he"ll be covering the best.

How Will Hall react? Will he stay focused and interested?

I'd be a little concerned about the chemistry between Hall and Talib.

Hall was exceptional against some of the top WRs in the league last year. Hall wasn't so great in Oakland, when he wasn't the number one CB.

How do the coaches tell Hall that he won't be covering Dez next year? Because if Talib is on the team, he"ll be covering the best.

How Will Hall react? Will he stay focused and interested?

move Hall to Safety! He's already stated he's down with the idea.

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition, Free Agency 2014, Part Seven​

We continue our look at the offseason and the latest developments. Several teams have been signing their own free agents and the Redskins are no exception. Too, teams have released players and the Redskins have released some veterans as well. Free agency begins on Tuesday and the joys of tracking Redskins One at 4pm EDT will begin in earnest. Jonathan Martin continues to be a focal point for BBQ entries and would be a desirable addition. This is in anticipation of his release or a conditional seventh round trade. BBQ also believes that it is necessary for the Redskins to re-sign tagged OLB Brian Orakpo as soon as possible.

This year it will be a buyer’s market for wide receivers and offensive tackles. The Redskins have plenty of cap space and we should watch for particular moves in either direction during the early days of free agency. At the center position, Will Montgomery is due $3.4 million and could be a cap casualty. The Redskins are intrigued by late season addition J.D. Walton and could add another center via free agency or the draft. So far the Redskins have re-signed Doug Worthington, Aldrick Robinson, DeAngelo Hall, Jose Gumbs, and Chris Baker. The team has released Adam Carriker, Jawan Jamison, Davin Megget, Richard Quinn, and Sav Rocca.

Here are some of the free agents that could be targeted. Obviously, the Redskins can’t sign each player, but having substantial cap room allows for some flexibility. Who do you like in this list and who would you avoid?

OL
Anthony Collins (T), Age: 28,29
Rodger Saffold (T), Age: 26
Jonathan Martin (T), Age: 25 (could be released)
Geoff Schwartz (G), Age: 28
Jon Asamoah (G), Age: 26
Evan Dietrich-Smith (C), Age: 28
Brian De La Puente, (C), Age: 29

RB
Darren Sproles, Age: 31

WR
Andre Roberts, Age: 26
Golden Tate, Age: 26
Eric Decker, Age: 27

TE
Brandon Myers, Age: 28,29
Scott Chandler, Age: 29

DL
Arthur Jones (DE), Age: 28
Lamarr Houston (DE), Age: 27

ILB
Vinny Rey (RFA), Age: 27
Karlos Dansby, Age: 32,33

CB
Aqib Talib, Age: 28
Vontae Davis, Age: 26
Alterraun Verner, Age: 25, 26

S
Chris Clemons, Age: 28,29
Mike Mitchell, Age: 27
Jairus Byrd, Age: 27,28

BBQ would like to see five of these players signed and prefers Anthony Collins, Geoff Schwartz, Chris Clemons, Andre Roberts, and Arthur Jones. Of those five that may not be signed, a second tier could include Rodger Saffold, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Mike Mitchell, Lamarr Houston, and Aqib Talib. The Redskins should put in a contract for Vinny Rey. He would come relatively cheap and there is no compensation required. If released, BBQ would like to see the Redskins put in a waiver claim for Jonathan Martin. Do you agree or disagree? Are there other players that you would like to see on this list?

Trying to decide who should stay and who should go is a difficult task, but BBQ takes a stab at it.

Players To Retain:
Perry Riley (ILB), Age: 26
Reed Doughty (S, ST), Age: 31, 32
Rob Jackson (OLB), Age: 28,29
Darryl Tapp (OLB), Age: 29,30
J.D. Walton (C), Age: 27
E.J. Biggers (CB), Age: 27
* Stephen Bowen (DT), Age: 30
* Chris Chester (OG), Age: 31

* Must Restructure Contract

Players To Release/Not Re-Sign:
Rex Grossman
Santana Moss
Josh Morgan
Fred Davis
Josh Wilson
London Fletcher
Bryan Kehl
Dezmon Briscoe
Nick Barnett
Kyle Nelson
Tyler Polumbus
Troy Kropog
Tanard Jackson

It’s a long list, but a 3-13 record usually means a number of players must go and a certain number stays. What are your preferences?

Players To Keep - Camp Fodder/Practice Squad:
David Gettis
Tevita Stevens
Kevin Kowalski
Robert Malone
Gabe Miller
Ryan Mouton
Trent Robinson
Adrian Robinson

Bubble Players To Keep For Now:
Josh Bellamy
Tom Compton
Will Compton
Richard Crawford
Adam Gettis
DaJohn Harris
Josh Hull
Maurice Hurt
Jeremy Kimbrough
Josh LeRibeus
Miguel Maysonet
Chase Minnifield
Chris Neild
Evan Royster
Chris Thompson

Many of these players are mostly longshots and while some will make the opening day roster, others will fight for a practice squad designation or try to impress other teams.

After reading one thread in the forum, BBQ fully agrees with the idea of extending Trent Williams now. It could save several millions of dollars this year and next with the cap.

There you have it – the seventh installment of BBQ’s look at free agency, 2014. Feel free to discuss these players and what you think the team should do in free agency.

Hail To The Redskins!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.