• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Zorn goes off on team at the half

riggins44

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
Well, it's good to see that it finally happened. Should have been done 3 weeks ago.

I was wondering what that spurt after halftime was about

It's demoralizing to me that some screaming and yelling produced that 'sea change' in the 2nd half offense. Because that tells you that, we may be a bad team, but we may not be as bad as our record indicates. These players just aren't playing.

Probably too little too late at this stage but it was good to hear that it happened. They did suck it up and play like a professional team in the second half.

I never played pro football but I did play up to the college level. In that time I had lots of position and head coaches. All things being equal talent will win out. We all know that isn’t how things go all the time though. The coaches who were able to get the most out of any team I played on were the ones who could press the right buttons to motivate players to play up to or beyond their potential.

Sometimes we needed a pat on the back and an “at-a-boy”, other times we needed a foot up our ass. Too much of one or the other isn’t good. I know when I got yelled at for screwing something up it pissed me off at first then it made me want to punish the guy lined up across from me. Some guys took it differently when they got yelled at and wanted to argue or pout. Those guys needed more positive reinforcement. A good coach knows his players and knows which player falls into which category. There aren’t many coaches who know how to do this though.

When a soft spoken coach went off it got everyone’s attention. When a crazy loud mouth coach goes off…well…you tend to tune some of that out. Some people will argue that at the pro level these guys are motivated more by money or fame or whatever, and there’s certainly some truth in that. Still, human nature does not change and most of these guys still need to be motivated by something more primal. It’s not the answer to everything but it certainly helps.

I vaguely remember a chair throwing incident during halftime of a Gibbs I game where the team had been stinking it up in the first half. As I recall they came on in the second half and won but later all the players commented about how shocking it was to see Gibbs that mad.

I also remember all the vets under Gibbs I talk about how miserable Redskins Park was the week following a loss. They were afraid of losing then. Absolutely afraid. I have not seen that fear since 91.

about damn time......

only about a season too late.

This should have been done last year during the Rams game.

This team plays like the Redskins played under Norv Turner. Just replace stupid 15 yard penalties by Tre Johnson for stupid 15 yard penalties by LaRon Landry. replace drops by Connel and Westbrook for Davis/Moss/Thomas et.al. Stupid offsides, holding, false starts that really hurt the team....check.

Is there talent on this team, you bet (except for the O-line) but the lack of disipline, execution and technique is why this team is 2-6 and we're very lucky we're not 0-8 at this point (the Rams and the Bucs had they been better teams would have beaten us).

Last edited:
Well, it worked for a quarter so that's cool.

I know what you're saying Boone. This chewing to me is more about accountability. Zorn has either been too medium or didn't have authority to hold them accountable. The inmates run the asylum because the top two men allow them.

Being medium sucks. For better or worse, passion should rule the day. I hated that we had two personal foul penalties on the defense on that one Atlanta drive but at least we're trying to knock the snot out of the QB. I loved Laron trying to get to Ryan before he could wuss out and get out of bounds. Had that been anyone but a QB, I don't think that penalty gets called. Yeah, Laron sucked yesterday (and sucks, in general, this year) but I like that he's still mad enough to want to hit people.

As a Head Coach, Zorn sucks but I like that he's still trying to keep these guys fired up. He's gonna have to forsake medium and take it up a notch or two to get these guys through the next eight games. If that means tearing into guys or benching them then do it. I'd rather see a sucky team with an attitude and passion than a team simply going through the motions.

It's important, at least to me, that this starts now. The idiot Broncos fans out here are already telling me Denver has another BYE next week. :mad:

Zorn has either been too medium or didn't have authority to hold them accountable.
I've never truly understood the benefit of being medium. Every time Hall misses a tackle or Landry takes a horrible angle, they should be fearing the wrath of God coming to sideline. It's almost like they've accepted their own futility, but as Boone said, the fact that they can be screamed into playing well just shows that they're really not that bad to begin with. They just don't give a _____.

:cry:

Part of Zorn's growing as a HC. Maybe he can put it to use in the next job he gets

I heard it was actually Buges that went off, not Zorn. But maybe Zorn did finally blow his top.

I've never truly understood the benefit of being medium. Every time Hall misses a tackle or Landry takes a horrible angle, they should be fearing the wrath of God coming to sideline. It's almost like they've accepted their own futility, but as Boone said, the fact that they can be screamed into playing well just shows that they're really not that bad to begin with. They just don't give a _____.

:cry:

You don't have to scream and cuss. For years Parcells would just stand in your line of vision and give you the death stare.

You don't have to scream and cuss. For years Parcells would just stand in your line of vision and give you the death stare.

I always liked Parcells doing that-if you were the recipient it was probably worse than a screaming tantrum (I've never respected the"tantrum throwers").

It was intensely personal-you knew Parcells was not just angry but disappointed as well-and it was aimed at you and you alone. That had to be a withering experience-and a helluva incentive to ramp things up.

Parcells' death stare or Zorn's medium stare? We know what the fans want to see. I guess some of these players prefer the easy way out.....collect the paycheck, go home and tomorrow's another day. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.