• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Name Randy Jordan as Running Backs Coach

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
January 26, 2014

REDSKINS NAME RANDY JORDAN AS RUNNING BACKS COACH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have named Randy Jordan as Running Backs Coach.

Jordan is a veteran of nine NFL seasons as a player from 1993-2002, appearing in 122 career games with the Raiders and Jaguars. He was the recipient of the NFL Unsung Hero Award and the Ed Block Courage Award in 2001 and served as special teams captain for the Raiders’ AFC Championship team in 2002.

Jordan spent the last two years as the running backs coach at the University of North Carolina. In his first season with UNC in 2012, Jordan’s Tar Heels averaged 193.8 rushing yards per game, third-most in the Atlantic Coast Conference. That season, he tutored tailback Giovani Bernard – who played for current Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden in Cincinnati in 2013 – to one of the best seasons in UNC history, helping Bernard average 122.8 rushing yards per game, most in the ACC and 11th in the nation.

Jordan began his coaching career in 2003 as a special teams assistant with the Oakland Raiders. From 2004-07, he served as running backs coach at the University of Nebraska, producing 1,000-yard rushers in both 2004 and 2007. Following his time with Nebraska, Jordan oversaw the running backs at Texas A&M from 2008-11. In 2011, the Aggies averaged 199.1 rushing yards per game, fourth-most in the Big 12 Conference, and had two different backs – Cyrus Gray and Christine Michael – finish among the top five in the conference in rushing yards per game.

Jordan played collegiately at North Carolina from 1989-92. He rushed for 1,134 yards and nine touchdowns in his career, including 618 yards and seven touchdowns in 1991. He earned his degree in speech communication from UNC in 1993.

Jordan, 43, is a native of Manson, N.C.

JORDAN FOOTBALL TIMELINE

1989-92: Running Back, North Carolina
1993: Running Back, Los Angeles Raiders
1995-97: Running Back, Jacksonville Jaguars
1998-2002: Running Back, Oakland Raiders
2003: Special Teams Assistant, Oakland Raiders
2004-07: Running Backs Coach, Nebraska
2008-11: Running Backs Coach, Texas A&M
2012-13: Running Backs Coach, North Carolina
2014: Running Backs Coach, Washington Redskins

What happened to Byner, I wonder?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I like this move. Gruden probably saw something in Mr. Jordan when scouting Giovani Bernard at UNC. Going with Byner could've been the easy choice, but Jordan impressed for some reason and it is hard to ignore the Bernard connection.

basically an RB coach since 1989?

guess he's got it down then.

I like this move. Gruden probably saw something in Mr. Jordan when scouting Giovani Bernard at UNC. Going with Byner could've been the easy choice, but Jordan impressed for some reason and it is hard to ignore the Bernard connection.

Good point... I'm sure he spoke to Jordan at length when scouting Bernard.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Another younger hire.

Outside of Haslett and Foerster Gruden seems to be going for youth in the new spots on the staff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.