• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Time to bench Portis - what say you?

I've been in the tank for Portis for years, but I have no problem replacing him now. If it isn't clear by now it should be made clear that no one on this team is irreplaceable.

I think the D was playing our offense different with Portis out. I also think Lewis called a different game with Portis out.

In this play calling by committee, the run plays are called by Sherman and Lewis does passing plays.

Not to pile on, but have to agree that Portis best days have long gone. We need to give Betts and Rock more touches. They seem to be hungry. Why not give Mason a shot. This is a position that needs attention.

Oh wait...Vinny released Mason and Alridge. Guess he figures we're deep enough at RB and OL that those areas don't need attention. :kick_can:

I'm a big CP fan but I think his career is probably over and that 78 yd. run vs. the Chiefs was his last big play.

CP just looks beaten up. Kind of reminds me how Alexander and James have been playing.....not good.

I don't think Betts is a long term solution, but at the moment he's probably the best option at this point. Then let Rock move to be a 3rd downish back.

In this play calling by committee, the run plays are called by Sherman and Lewis does passing plays.

Not to pile on, but have to agree that Portis best days have long gone. We need to give Betts and Rock more touches. They seem to be hungry. Why not give Mason a shot. This is a position that needs attention.

Oh wait...Vinny released Mason and Alridge. Guess he figures we're deep enough at RB and OL that those areas don't need attention. :kick_can:

You are right, Smith calls the run plays but Lewis determines the mix and when those run plays are called. I will have to look at the tape again but it felt like we did more passing on 1st once Portis left the game. I mean, they opened with Portis on 1st down for no gain, then went with him on 2nd down for a gain of 1 leaving them in 3rd and 9 on the very first offensive drive.

It is also notable that Betts best runs come following halftime and the "come to Jesus" meeting presided over by Zorn and Buges. The line did a better of everything following that.

Don't get me wrong, I am not convinced Portis is all that right now either but I know what I saw in the second half and what I saw were holes that Portis has not been getting.

Add to it the fact that Atlanta had almost no tape of Betts running the ball...

I am just trying to avoid a knee jerk reaction here. I don't want to defend Portis but there are lot of other factors that go in to running the ball than just the running back.

I disagree, this whole year I have been watching Portis and saying that he is playing very soft, he is not hitting holes, and is just playing lazy. I said it last game they played that Betts should be starting as he seems to care and is playing hard.

Yesterday proved that to me, Betts is playing hard, hitting holes hard, and is always gaining positive yards. Portis is doing the exact opposite. Betts has earned the start, Portis has earned the bench.

Possible. Maybe I am too hard on Betts because I have issues with him when he doesn't have the ball. His blocking has always been suspect to me and has really only improved a little in the time he has been here. That's my beef with him.

I think Portis could do with a week or two off as well just from a health standpoint. The team likely goofed in not making that off season workout bonus a yearly thing with him.

Last edited:
Say what you will - but it's hard to ignore that Betts looked significantly better behind the same line.

Portis wore out his welcome with me about a year ago. I'd be fine going another direction the rest of the way. I see more effort with Betts than with CP. At this point, I'd rather lose with effort than without it.

+1
Add me to this list.

I've been writing at DC Pro Sports Report that Portis is incredibly overrated. When he went down yesterday, I turned to my old dad and said: "That won't hurt the offense one bit." It didn't. I would take a big broom to the offense during the offseason and Portis would be the first one into the bin. [Followed swiftly by Antwaan Randle El, Mike Sellers and a few others.]

Portis is on the down side. I think that is established. First off, he is injured every firggin year. He is one of those guys that completely amazes me how he is off an entire off-season and comes to camp banged up. Amazing. Betts showed burst and energy in running. He ran behind the same line that Portis has privately bitched about. That tells me it more Portis than the Line.

As for LJ? What's the point. Should we also try and lure TO? IMO, if Snyder goes for LJ, that is the latest and clearest sign that there is no change in philosophy going on at Ashburn.

Portis is on the down side. I think that is established. First off, he is injured every firggin year. He is one of those guys that completely amazes me how he is off an entire off-season and comes to camp banged up. Amazing. Betts showed burst and energy in running. He ran behind the same line that Portis has privately bitched about. That tells me it more Portis than the Line.

As for LJ? What's the point. Should we also try and lure TO? IMO, if Snyder goes for LJ, that is the latest and clearest sign that there is no change in philosophy going on at Ashburn.

Good point, if they bring in LJ than we know that Snyder and Cerrato have no idea what the problem is or what the fans are so upset about.

Whatever happened to "You don't practice, You don't play". Portis doesn't practice and Betts does. That might have something to do with his success.

maybe start but portis needs to get his carries too.

If, and it's a big if, his concussion is recovered enough to play-given how much better Betts has been carrying the ball in the past two games-why should Portis enter the game?

Serv, that isn't all Betts. He had room the second half of last week and much of today that Portis only dreamed about the first 7 games. I am not saying Betts doesn't have anything to do with it but he is definitely benefiting from better run blocking.

I'd stipulate that Portis has had the room that Betts has had, but Portis hasn't taken advantage of it.

I don't think the Redskins should waste many carries on Portis anymore.

I recognize the better holes available for running lately-it's just that watching Betts run he seems to have better acceleration and quick cut capability than Portis has displayed-probably at least partially due to the large amount of wear and tear that Portis has had on himself physically.

Betts put out a tremendous effort today - make no mistake about it. I don't see that kind of effort anymore out of Portis. As I said before, I'd rather lose with effort than natural born talent.

Great game today for Ladell. Say what you want, but every time he's gotten a chance to start, he's impressed.

Betts looked great.
Rock fought hard for every yard.
Quinton Ganther is an AWESOME pass blocker (almost Portisesque!!!!) and can catch balls out of the backfield.

Frankly I'm happy with the comittee over what CP is bringing.

CP isn't healthy and can't/won't practice.

gotta play the guys who can go during the week.
'

It was nice to see CP cheering on his mates too. He can be a rockhead, but I've never doubted he wanted to win. And when it comes down to it, he's not a selfish player.

On a more important note, I'm 11-2 so far this week. 2nd week in a row I've been up at the top....

maybe start but portis needs to get his carries too.

Maybe if he worked harder at staying in shape and practicing, he'd be deserving of "his" carries. As it is, I have no problem with him being a cheerleader

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.