• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

My next adventure...

But worth it. There's a local place that makes mead (seriously, Albemarle County and surrounding areas are like an alcoholic's paradise) that is really good. Lots of seasonal flavors and interesting combinations. But your Blueberry mead was better than their's. Really good stuff.

Checked my 5 hives for honey stores today. My strongest hive had 2 full boxes full of honey, another hive also had a full box. I'll likely pull some from my brood boxes too so this should be a decent honey harvest. Man - harvesting is one of the funnest activities ever. SNF - you got hives this year and if so, hows it going?

13557664_10210053839770452_8436877681769029544_n (1).jpg

44 pints (5.5 gallons) first harvest. Another gallon and a half so far from draining wax. If I ever get all 5 hives producing strong in a single year, it will be amazing. Only two of my hives produced a lot of extra honey this year.

Going to try my hand at making some lip balm this year. Cocoa butter, coconut oil, beeswax, and some vitamin E. We'll see how this goes :)

13599887_10210147868161103_4501679764992640083_n.jpg

Made some homemade lip balm. Beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa butter, almond oil, and vitamin E. Came out great and really easy to make. Not very manly activity for a Friday night though :)

Checked my five hives today. They look pretty strong. I had to separate the boxes to treat for mites and they were quite heavy (heavy=good honey stores for winter). Took the last few honey supers off and there was probably a couple of gallons of honey in them that I'm processing. I'm totally out of spring honey as I gave it all away. Some folks won't eat fall honey because they feel it doesn't taste as good (some of the late summer/early fall flowers are considered weeds. I think it tastes just fine, so plan on keeping most of it for our winter stores. Started feeding the hives today and will do that for the next month so they can produce plenty of strong fall bees who will man the hive over the winter. The males all get killed and kicked out of the hive this time of year. They've done their job and I guess they serve no purpose in the fall/winter.

So honey holds up as is, or is there any additives needed when jarring it up?

Honey does not spoil. They've found containers of honey still edible after 1000's of years - amazing stuff. All I'm doing is filtering it, which takes a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fun fact I did not know. Absolutely love some honey mixed with butter on a biscuit!

Made some homemade lip balm. Beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa butter, almond oil, and vitamin E. Came out great and really easy to make. Not very manly activity for a Friday night though :)

That really is a heck of a lot of lip balm for a dude.
I guess a website owner/moderator needs to keep his lips moist, since the lips get cracked quickly, from barking orders at his staff all day long :)

It's really the constant kissing of member asses that puts us all at risk...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't sure I was going to get any honey this year but turns out it's just come later than usual. Checked my 5 hives a month ago and literally had no honey in my honey supers. Went back in today and pulled out 23 frames of it. Did my usual 'smash and grab' - pull frames out covered with thousands of bees and BAM - bang them on the hive stand to knock them all off. They don't much care for it. Stung once, which is amazing really. By the time I was wrapping up, there were thousands of bees at the front and back entrances of my house trying to figure out where I'd put their treasure. Today, the humans win.honeyhaul2017.jpg

I filled a turkey frying pot (the tall ones) to the brim with comb and honey - I actually had to get a 2nd pot to finish up. Tomorrow will crush and start straining honey. I'll bet I have over a 100 lbs of it. Surprising since there was no sign I'd get this kind of load a month ago. Bees are amazing creatures. I put the scraped frames on my back porch tonight. There will be a swarming frenzy like nothing you've ever seen in the morning when the bees realize they are there.

honeyhaul2017b.jpg

Last edited:
Oh hell yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.