• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

My next adventure...

I install a package after today and 2 Nucs about a week from now. Since I've had major robbing in the dead out that I'm placing my package in today, I'm going to put a robber screen on that hive at least until both brood boxes are full of bees. Will probably do the same thing with my Nucs. The surviving hive is so strong and has already been robbing, so I am anticipating them going after the weaker gives. Hopefully robber screens will keep that from happening.

Don't forget to wear pants this time. I highly recommend them.
Words to live by when keeping bees.

Words to fight over at my house on the weekend :)

Package installed ...and I could've done it without pants...you spray them with sugar syrup and Honey B Healthy and it's like heroin, 30,000 bees buzzing their behinds off go instantly silent. Wild to dump a ball of bees as big as a bowling ball out onto an empty hive and they barely react.

Pick up my last 2 nucs on Saturday in Asheville - gotta be there by dawn and it's 3 hours away - I'm tired already :) That'll put me at 4 hives for the summer. Buzzzzzzz....

Whew! Up at 2 a.m. to head to Asheville. Here are just a few of the 200 'nucs' (nucleus bee colonies) that were set out for pick up at dawn. We had 6 of them inside the SUV we were in. Dipshits did not staple one of the entrance screens all the way down. We got about 20 minutes into our return trip, and the few bees buzzing around inside the SUV turned into 50-100 bees, to the point that we had to pull over and escape the vehicle. I finally figured out we had bees pouring out of one of the nucs and figured out a way to close off the entrance. Rest of the day was uneventful but it got exciting there for a minute. Came home and installed my bees in their new hives. Am going to go back in tomorrow to add some feeders and see if I can spot the queens. It was raining today so it was all I could do to hive them without checking for her Highness.

Attachments

• nucs.jpg
    nucs.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 115
Harvested some honey today. Been a strange summer weather-wise here, lots of rain during the spring when the main bee nectar source, Tulip Poplar, was in bloom. I had almost no honey in my upper boxes as I would have expected. In fact, in one of my hives, the bees carried eggs/larva up INTO the honey supers where they aren't supposed to be and are trying to hatch a queen there.

I did pull a little honey from the honey supers, but decided to look through my brood boxes (where typically, all of the queen egg-laying is going on and where you don't usually pull honey frames from - since this is the honey they will rely on through the fall/winter). I was surprised to find that almost all of my top brood boxes were full of frames of honey, and only honey. They call this 'honey bound' as the honey occupies so much space that there's no where for the queen to lay eggs. It can actually kill the hive because bees only live a month or two, and this time of year the queen needs to be laying fall and winter bees.

So I pulled a couple full frames from all 3 good hives. I thought I have 4 good hives until today, when I found one of my four abandoned and totally taken over by wax moths. You never know what to expect with bees, that's for sure.

Anyway, I have several gallons of honey I am processing. That's never a bad thing.

The final haul...2.5 gallons of honey.

074bd7612c30dd353229e72a4f3f776d.jpg

ed59ff40a689158c6a946a67d2d0dce3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy shit!! Now, will you use all of it or give it away?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Funny you ask that...last year, I posted a bunch of pics on Facebook, and I swear you would have thought I was a crack dealer. I had people I barely even know begging me for a jar. I gave almost all of it away. I will probably hold onto most of it this time and share with family. If my hives had produced like I expected, I would have more than enough to do both, but it was a down year.

Lost a hive late summer, I'm guessing it just swarmed. It happens. Entered winter with 3 good hives. Opened the hives 2 weeks ago on a warm day and added 'fondant' (basically, cake icing) for extra food. Lots of bees, all 3 hives looked good. Checked on them today to make sure the entrances were okay. 2 hives were Grand Central Station with bees swarming in front of them. One had zero activity. I rapped on the side of that hive and heard some 'buzzing' but guessing that hive isn't going to make it. Beekeeping - it's equal parts knowledge, mystery, and luck...

They're bugs in a box :)

Yeah but you've seen all the dumb pet meme's that shows a pic of them in the snow.

Curious, do you cut the grass back there in a bee suit? I'd think that would stir em up.

Last edited:
The mower doesn't seem to bother them. I don't get closer than 5-10 yards and just use a grass whip when needed up closer. Never had an issue. I have heard they don't like weed eaters though - something about the high pitched sound that riles them up.

Offer some neighbor kid $10 to weedeat, that way we can be sure. It's science!

At your next harvest we need to talk about honey acquisition. :)

wow John! I dont know how I missed this thread, but what an awesome hobby/adventure! Its something thats always interested me and if I had the property to do it myself, I'd consider it strongly.

Congrats!

I make mead. It's a very long process though. Waiting a year or more to sink a batch of mead requires discipline :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.