• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Promote Sean McVay to Offensive Coordinator

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
January 15, 2014

REDSKINS PROMOTE SEAN McVAY TO OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have promoted former Tight Ends Coach Sean McVay to Offensive Coordinator.

McVay assumes the role of offensive coordinator entering his sixth NFL season, his fifth in Washington. After being hired by the Redskins as an offensive assistant in 2010, McVay spent the last three seasons as the team’s tight ends coach, helping the unit account for 222 receptions for 2,704 yards across the 2011-13 seasons.

Last year, McVay was instrumental in the development of rookie tight end Jordan Reed, who compiled 45 receptions for 499 yards – both Redskins’ single-season rookie tight end records – despite Reed playing in only nine games. Under McVay’s tutelage, Reed joined Chris Cooley (2004) as the only Redskins tight ends named to the PFWA All-Rookie Team.

Reed’s 5.0 receptions per game in 2013 and tight end Fred Davis’ 4.9 receptions per game in 2011 under McVay rank second- and third-most, respectively, in team history for receptions per game by a tight end in a single season. In those seasons, Davis (66.3) and Reed (55.4) posted the second- and fourth-best receiving yards per game totals by tight ends in Redskins annals. In addition, McVay helped develop tight end Logan Paulsen from an undrafted free agent into a 30-game starter over the last four seasons, with Paulsen increasing his reception totals each season from 2010-13.

McVay entered the NFL as a coaching assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2008, when he served on the same staff as current Redskins Head Coach Jay Gruden. In addition, McVay served as tight ends coach for the UFL’s Florida Tuskers in 2009 when Gruden was the team’s offensive coordinator.

McVay, 27, played wide receiver at Miami University from 2004-07, earning Miami’s Scholar-Athlete Award as a senior.

McVAY FOOTBALL TIMELINE

2004-07: Wide Receiver, Miami University
2008: Coaching Assistant, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2009: Tight Ends Coach, Florida Tuskers (UFL)
2010: Offensive Assistant, Washington Redskins
2011-13: Tight Ends Coach, Washington Redskins
2014: Offensive Coordinator, Washington Redskins

I wonder if there were some pre-hiring conversations with Gruden, about who he would keep and who he would get rid of. IF they are just now promoting McVay, perhaps the "Mole" let it leak earlier than it was supposed to, in an attempt to get the Skins in trouble for tampering? Very strange that we've known about this for a week, and its just now becoming official. I hope McVay is not being forced on Gruden, but it seems like he isn't.

I wonder if there were some pre-hiring conversations with Gruden, about who he would keep and who he would get rid of. IF they are just now promoting McVay, perhaps the "Mole" let it leak earlier than it was supposed to, in an attempt to get the Skins in trouble for tampering? Very strange that we've known about this for a week, and its just now becoming official. I hope McVay is not being forced on Gruden, but it seems like he isn't.

I'm just talking out of my ass here, so if I'm wrong please smack me around...

It would seem that part of going from a OC to a HC is coming up with a staff. As opposed to HCs that are just taking another HC job and (generally) have a staff in mind that they bring with them.

I'm inclined to think Gruden is interviewing people, and talking to those inside the organization about candidates, and trying to assemble staff.

I've heard nothing but good things about McVay.

Gruden's going to be calling plays... so that tells me him and his OC have to be on the same page, 100% - the OC will install the offense Gruden will be controlling, if they're not on the same page that would create problems I would think.

I'm willing to bet McVay just blew Gruden away in the interview so he's giving him a shot. Everything I've heard is that McVay is a very, very smart 'football guy' that lives and breaths football an understands concepts, etc. So they probably had a really good interview.

Nope, all sounds good to me.

But, if you're just wanting to be smacked around, well....if it'll help the team, I'd be willing to help you out. ;)

It would seem that part of going from a OC to a HC is coming up with a staff. As opposed to HCs that are just taking another HC job and (generally) have a staff in mind that they bring with them.

I'm inclined to think Gruden is interviewing people, and talking to those inside the organization about candidates, and trying to assemble staff.

I've heard nothing but good things about McVay.

Gruden's going to be calling plays... so that tells me him and his OC have to be on the same page, 100% - the OC will install the offense Gruden will be controlling, if they're not on the same page that would create problems I would think.

I'm willing to bet McVay just blew Gruden away in the interview so he's giving him a shot. Everything I've heard is that McVay is a very, very smart 'football guy' that lives and breaths football an understands concepts, etc. So they probably had a really good interview.

Yeah, for sure. I've only heard good things about McVay also. I'm thinking he'll be offensive coordinator in name only, in that Gruden will design & install the offense and call all the plays. McVay will be there to game-plan, note defensive tendencies that can be exploited, etc. (e.g. when Sanu threw the wildcat bomb against us on the first play this year, blech).

Nope, all sounds good to me.

But, if you're just wanting to be smacked around, well....if it'll help the team, I'd be willing to help you out. ;)

Exactly. Anything to help the team and there should be plenty of BGO friends to help out too. :)

Yeah, for sure. I've only heard good things about McVay also. I'm thinking he'll be offensive coordinator in name only, in that Gruden will design & install the offense and call all the plays. McVay will be there to game-plan, note defensive tendencies that can be exploited, etc. (e.g. when Sanu threw the wildcat bomb against us on the first play this year, blech).

(emphasis mine) just trying to pretend this past season didn't happen, are you?

What do you mean by the tampering mention? Can you tamper with your own staff member?

What do you mean by the tampering mention? Can you tamper with your own staff member?

I believe he's saying that they could accuse tampering by saying we were talking to Gruden before it was acceptable. And that Gruden had input on promoting McVay.

While Haynesworth may go down as the most overpaid player in NFL history, Shanahan might be right down there with him on the coaches list.

$35M paid for 24 wins over 4 years.

That's like $1.5M per win.

Averaging 10 losses per season?

Ouch.

I believe he's saying that they could accuse tampering by saying we were talking to Gruden before it was acceptable. And that Gruden had input on promoting McVay.

Yes, that's it. :)

At least, I hope we are not forcing staff onto Gruden; seems like the wrong way to go about things. But who knows? If McVay is as well-regarded as they say, nobody should have a problem adding him to their staff.

Jay Gru and McVay apparently worked together so it's not like they're strangers, I presume that if Jay wanted to nix an incumbent for good reason , he would be allowed to.

2009 Florida Tuskers staff

Head Coach – Jim Haslett :anxious:

Offensive coaches
Offensive Coordinator – Jay Gruden
Running Backs – Ricky Porter
Wide Receivers – Ike Hilliard
Wide Receivers/Quality Control – Sean McVay
Special Teams/Tight Ends – Al Roberts
Offensive Line – Bill Laveroni
Defensive coaches Defensive Line – Carl Hairston
Linebackers – Chuck Bresnahan
Secondary – Bill Bradley

So can we correct the spelling of his name in the thread title?

While Haynesworth may go down as the most overpaid player in NFL history, Shanahan might be right down there with him on the coaches list.

Ouch.

I love this relevance to the thread.......or not :laugh:

Just needed a random vent there, buddy ? :D

Last edited:

Ouch.

Nice hijack bro :D

A few months ago after listening to one of Shanahans post games after one of our most epic Special Teams showings and Shanahan basically said "Meh, Punters shank punts from time to time, sometimes you give up a return" I said Shanahan was likely only in it for the paycheck and helping his son get a HC job someday. Surprisingly, nobody else read his quote the same way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.