• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Wash Post: How The Redskins Running Game Might Look Under Jay Gruden

I thoroughly dislike the Patriots. With that said, it is one of few teams you will see where the OL are constantly shoving the other team around.

You give Brady a good shot - you get hit by a lineman.
You shove our RB after the play - you get pushed around
You get a little over zealous in celebration - you get shoved around
After a play is dead - you get an extra shove sometimes

They play with an attitude. I wish we'd see more of that from our OL.

With that said, I don't care who is manning RT as long as he can perform better than that piece of dirt...TurnsTyler!

I couldn't agree more and it was on full display yesterday. BB's teams mirror his no nonsense don't take any crap from anyone attitude. Our entire team needs a whole lot more of that with a few exceptions. Off the top of my head Garcon and T Williams stick out. Maybe D Hall on defense although he's too far to that extreme and is a bit of a hothead at times.

Luck said he trusts Martin and would have no problem counting on him in the NFL.

That to me was more than a guy standing up and saying Martin was his friend and a good guy.

If Martin goes to Indy my guess is he will be playing in the Super Bowl with Luck a couple of years from now while the Dolphins are still a mediocre mess.

Luck said he trusts Martin and would have no problem counting on him in the NFL.

That to me was more than a guy standing up and saying Martin was his friend and a good guy.

If Martin goes to Indy my guess is he will be playing in the Super Bowl with Luck a couple of years from now while the Dolphins are still a mediocre mess.

you could be right. but Martin or no Martin - Luck is going to have to learn not to be PICK CITY!!!!!!!

They have a poor OL like the Redskins, expect them to be active in the draft and free agency.

Watching the Panthers game right now, I have to give their OL credit. Anytime the 49ers hit Newton the OL are there on top of them...quick!

What I wouldn't give for an OL like that!

Collins could make sense in that he would already be familiar with Gruden's schemes and help ease the transition. I didn't see him play much so curious - is he a guy better suited to RT that can play LT in a pinch - or will some team consider him LT material and offer him more than we might be looking to invest in a RT?

Collins could make sense in that he would already be familiar with Gruden's schemes and help ease the transition. I didn't see him play much so curious - is he a guy better suited to RT that can play LT in a pinch - or will some team consider him LT material and offer him more than we might be looking to invest in a RT?

This article apeared in ESPN NFL Nation on 12/26/2013 highlighting Collins. He has played both LT and RT and apparently has done a very good job at stopping some well-known pass rushers. I put some of the things that jumped out at me in bold.

CINCINNATI -- Friends off the field, Cincinnati Bengals players Anthony Collins and Michael Johnson occasionally hang out together.

Typically when they venture out into Cincinnati and other parts of the metropolitan area, it's Johnson who gets recognized first. After all, the defensive end has been starting since his second season in 2010. It probably helps matters that he's the more visible face of the two, playing a key role on the Bengals' highly touted defensive line while carrying this season's franchise tag.

Offensive tackle Anthony Collins has been solid in pass protection, and the pending free agent figures to get a raise in the offseason.
Most football-following fans on the Queen City's streets know the likelihood the Bengals retain Johnson this offseason are fairly slim. The odds are equally steep when it comes to Collins, an offensive tackle who this Sunday will play the final regular-season game of his current contract. He'll be a free agent once the season ends.

That's why random, football-following men on the street only want to talk contracts when they see Collins and Johnson together. Collins doesn't like being around such contract chatter. He's content letting Johnson handle those conversations.

"Anytime someone brings it up to [Johnson] and then they ask me what's my name and I say, 'Oh, A.C.,' then they want to say, 'Oh, so you, too, huh?'" Collins said. "I'm like, 'Nah, you're talking about Mike. Don't even talk about me.'"

Just like Johnson, Collins deserves to be talked about. He also has spent this season playing for his football and financial future. If Cincinnati can't afford to sign him this offseason, the backup tackle is hopeful that he has done enough this season to convince some other organization to justly compensate him.

"I'm a starter," Collins said. "Even if some team wants to get me and put me on the bench, I'm going to work like a starter. Period."

That's precisely the way the Bengals' $3.6 million man has approached this contract year, even as the No. 3 tackle in a three-man rotation. That approach has paid off handsomely for Cincinnati, which has needed his services often this season.

During the season opener in Chicago, Collins was called upon to take over for Pro Bowl left tackle Andrew Whitworth, who was recovering from a knee injury that slowed him in the preseason. Collins performed well, keeping veteran defensive end Julius Peppers from hounding quarterback Andy Dalton. Collins also filled in for Whitworth in Miami near the season's midpoint, blocking well enough that Dalton didn't get sacked on account of anything he Collins did wrong.

In fact, in 526 snaps, Collins hasn't allowed a sack or a quarterback hit this season, according to Pro Football Focus.

"I don't pay attention [to sites like PFF], but that sounds about right," Collins said, laughing. "Yeah, I did that."

When he spoke to reporters Thursday, offensive coordinator Jay Gruden didn't have his coaches' breakdown of Collins' stats in front of him, but he also wasn't trying to deny PFF's claims when asked about them.

"It wouldn't surprise me," Gruden said. "He's done a great job, no question about it. Definitely pass protection is his forte. That's for sure."

Along with replacing Whitworth for two games, Collins has started the past four games as the Bengals have shaken up their offensive line rotation in the wake of Clint Boling's season-ending ACL tear. On the six plays before Boling was lost for the season during Cincinnati's 17-10 win against San Diego this month, Collins was playing at right tackle, relieving Andre Smith for an unspecified reason. Since then, Collins has been at left tackle, with Whitworth moving to Boling's left guard spot.

Within this four-game stretch, Collins has denied the likes of Jared Allen and Robert Mathis the opportunity to get to Dalton. Combined with his efforts against Peppers, Collins is beginning to earn a reputation for stopping elite pass-rushers.
Against Baltimore in this weekend's regular-season finale, he'll be going against another strong pass-rusher in Elvis Dumervil. This will be the first time he's been matched up with Dumervil since his second season in 2009.

"Elvis is not really different," Collins said. "He's the same. He's doing the same thing he's been doing. He just perfected it."

Collins credits his success this season to the way he has perfected his blocking technique.

"If you're prepared to go into battle, you're going to be alright in battle," he said.

He might have one of the biggest battles of his career behind closed doors this offseason when he and his representatives try to prove to the Bengals he's worth the significant raise his play has commanded.

While the circumstances that got them to the cusp of free agency are slightly different, Collins' situation is somewhat similar to Whitworth's two seasons ago. Near the start of the 2011 season, as the Bengals were making then-rookie Dalton their new starting quarterback, they wanted to make sure they locked up one of his primary blockers. So Whitworth was inked to a three-year deal that give him a max base annual salary in two of those seasons of $4.5 million. At the time, Whitworth hadn't had a Pro Bowl selection, but he had emerged as a rising star. He has since been named to the Pro Bowl and signed an extension that will pay him an annual base of $5 million starting next year.

Some might argue that this season is all the evidence Collins needs to prove he is following a similar path. For that reason, it probably shouldn't be a surprise if negotiations hover around or just above the $4.5-million-per-year mark.

For now, though, Collins is keeping his mind clear of the numbers and focusing on the task at hand: beating Baltimore and advancing into the postseason.

"I love Cincinnati. This is my family," Collins said. "If Cincinnati wants me back, damn right I'll be back."

Article link: Bengals' Anthony Collins avoiding contract chatter - ESPN

He didn't get pushed around on the field. Again, the culture in Miami was toxic - very toxic. But hey, if there are those who would rather stand with an Incognito, then so be it. I'll take Martin at RT any day of the week. I had him in many of those mocks back in 2012 for a reason - just watch as his career will be fine. Then tell me where Incognito will be in the future.

This seems to reflect that the culture was a huge problem:

Report: The Dolphins Are A Dysfunctional Mess Behind The Scenes

The whole "toughness" angle could have been a cover up, also. It may have been as BB said, that he was from a different background and they held it against him.

I couldn't agree more and it was on full display yesterday. BB's teams mirror his no nonsense don't take any crap from anyone attitude. Our entire team needs a whole lot more of that with a few exceptions. Off the top of my head Garcon and T Williams stick out. Maybe D Hall on defense although he's too far to that extreme and is a bit of a hothead at times.

Belichick coaches that.

When they were on hardknocks (I think it was hardknocks? Maybe it was the football life) he was in a meeting room showing film bitching at them for their lack of emotion after the play. Not sticking up for each other, not celebrating good plays by teammates, etc.

The whole "toughness" angle could have been a cover up, also. It may have been as BB said, that he was from a different background and they held it against him.

It's hard to know if there was some sort of cover up or if the issues were separate. Maybe we will learn more in the future. When Parcells left, Aponte had her place and that is fine. Then she went on the power grab and divided the front office. It's hard to ignore in light of the Martin situation.

As a disclaimer - I really, really like Martin. He is quiet and simply wants to do his job. He may not be a fit for the Redskins and that is for our FO to decide. All I know is that our FO now seems to be going in the right direction while the Dolphins are a mess.

The Dolphins fired Ireland, that's a pretty good indication of who was ultimately at fault.

6 years, no playoff berth.

Questionable judgment on personnel/locker room issues.

Asked Dez Bryant why his mother was a hooker.

Sounds like a winner any team should want, right?

I give Martin a mulligan for 2013.

As Lindon Fletcher said there might be leaders on the Miami team but they appear to be poor ones.

Was he playing LT or RT?

From what I had been reading Martin projected to be a RT but Ireland saw him as a LT.

For us it makes a big difference as we already have a LT in any event.

Martin and Collins would be looked upon as successors to Polumbus.

OK, I have dug around now (finally got on a PC) and came up with these stats on Martin.

2012 - he was responsible for 8.75 sacks in 16 games...not the greatest but not the worst
2013 - he was responsible for 6.5 sacks in 7 games. that is a sack a game.

Football | NFL | Player Stats - Jonathan Martin - Miami Dolphins - washingtonpost.com

and now I just saw this...

Ex-Dolphin Jonathan Martin cheesing up with Miami strippers

how much was Incognito really doing to him? I have to say that I am against "bullying" but does this even really seem like bullying? I dont get what he had happen to him that was SO bad that not only his teammates but also coaches were shocked and surprised by it all.

Something caught me quickly from that second link.

Another burner. We could have bookend burners with Williams if we added Martin. He might fit better in Denver ...

Something caught me quickly from that second link.

Another burner. We could have bookend burners with Williams if we added Martin. He might fit better in Denver ...

I think a lot more players smoke weed than the general public tends to believe.

Apparently the drug tests are ridiculously easy to pass.

I think a lot more players smoke weed than the general public tends to believe.

Apparently the drug tests are ridiculously easy to pass.

It's plausible to me that instituting seriously effective drug testing might reveal something as potentially explosive as the PED scandal in MLB.

The NFL is making wads of cash hand over fist, dominating the television networks when games compete with regular programming and thus attracting tons

of advertising dollars not to mention immensely lucrative merchandising.

I could understand not wanting to expose this Golden Goose's neck to that level of controversy.

It's plausible to me that instituting seriously effective drug testing might reveal something as potentially explosive as the PED scandal in MLB.

The NFL is making wads of cash hand over fist, dominating the television networks when games compete with regular programming and thus attracting tons

of advertising dollars not to mention immensely lucrative merchandising.

I could understand not wanting to expose this Golden Goose's neck to that level of controversy.

After watching the 60 minutes piece on ARod i'm not convinced that the MLB has put a stop to it anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.