• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Hogs Haven: Wide Receiver Draft Class Depth Good For Redskins

Brandin Cooks from Oregon State.

Speed kills.

How big is he? We need a playmaker in the AJ Green/Calvin Johnson mold, not another Aldrick Robinson.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

How big is he? We need a playmaker in the AJ Green/Calvin Johnson mold, not another Aldrick Robinson.

That's why Kelvin Benjamin is so tempting if he fell to #34. I just fear his mind for the game...

Fwiw, Kiper's first mock draft is out. It only covers the first round. And as expected, teams are fighting for these WRs. Here's who he has going before we pick:

5. Oakland Riders: Sammy Watkins, Clemson

13. St. Louis Rams: Mike Evans, Texas A&M

18. New York Jets: Marqise Lee, USC

22. Philadelphia Eagles: Kelvin Benjamin, FSU

28. Carolina Panthers: Brandin Cooks, Oregon State

30. San Fran: Odell Beckham Jr., LSU

32. Seattle Seahawks: Allen Robinson, Penn State

Diesel, in the scenario above, your kid from Vandy might still be available.

Kiper is consistently the worst mock draft guy there is, so I will guess that his first attempt will be completely wrong.

Diesel, in the scenario above, your kid from Vandy might still be available.

I know it's early...the draft is in May this year...but we still need to see the combines. Then we'll see how he does. So far, I have seen mostly mid-2nd round on this kid.

Kiper is consistently the worst mock draft guy there is, so I will guess that his first attempt will be completely wrong.

I had him so riled up on Twitter one time, which I rarely do to media or celebs (I know...shocking!) :laugh:

Anyway, he was saying something about Jimmy Clausen and I simply brought up his love affair with Clausen and the argument he had with McShay. He tried to say simply..."sometimes you get it wrong." I pointed to his mock drafts over the last 5 years. Outside of the top 5 picks in each draft his record is abysmal! I think LaConfora is better! :blank:

Kiper is a hack. One of the best moments in Sports TV history for me was when (IIRC) Tobin from the Colts came up on stage cocktail in hand and just shredded Kiper for basically knowing nothing. Kiper melted...it was beautiful.

Todd McShay's first round mock draft is out, and it's a little more appealing to those who want a WR.

He has fewer WRs being taken in the first round, and even has Robinson from Penn State slipping into the second.

Todd McShay 2014 NFL Mock Draft 1.0

I am in full draft research mode (FA too) and some things stand out early on.

First, more than 100 underclassmen have already declared for the draft and that is nearly twice the record amount of any other year. The chances of having first round talent through two complete rounds is a reality for the first time in NFL draft history. The Redskins are in an excellent position to trade down (possibly twice - second and third rounds) and gain extra picks. In the deepest draft yet, that could be very beneficial. Who would be a good trade partner? The 49ers - they have a knack for trading up nearly every draft in recent years.

Second, WRs will not go as high as we have seen in recent years. Even if we don't trade down, the Redskins will be able to draft a very good WR in the fourth round (a good choice here would be the WR from Wisconsin unless another gem falls to the fourth).

Third, OL and DT are huge needs and while FA can add a player or two, the Redskins must focus on using the top two picks on these positions. It simply can't be ignored any longer in lieu of making "sexy" choices. We no longer have the luxury of forsaking the OL and the DL.

Fourth, with such a deep talent pool coming from the college ranks, the Redskins will need to have a good draft on the lower end. Rounds five through seven need to have at least one good player and hopefully two for special teams - anything more is just an added bonus. Trading down (again, having the second overall pick in each round helps) is certainly an option and we can only hope that some trading partners appear along the way.

Fifth, we have salary cap room of about $28 mil. That could increase to about $40 mil with appropriate releases and a restructure or two (restructures could push it to around $45 mil). We need to retain the key FAs on our current roster and obtain one superstar and several solid additions. With Bruce Allen's penchant for structuring contracts ("likely to be earned") in a favorable manner, the cap should not be an issue now or in the future.

Sixth, it has been said before and I will say it again. Jonathan Martin will be there for the taking. The Redskins are in an excellent position to snag him. If the Dolphins release him outright, the Redskins can put in a claim and they have second overall dibs - the Texans are first and if they make a claim, that is tough luck. However, the Redskins could offer a sixth or seventh for Martin if they feel the Texans would make a claim.

After the Super Bowl, BBQ will have the first look at FAs. The first mock draft will come in early March.

Last edited:
Main thing that worries me is our team hasn't had any success drafting wr's. Agree we need someone to take heat off Pierre but FA may be the way to go .

Main thing that worries me is our team hasn't had any success drafting wr's. Agree we need someone to take heat off Pierre but FA may be the way to go .

While I'm not nearly as high on him as I was last offseason, I still think Hank can be a reliable 3, and maybe even a red zone target.

Ya never know, maybe Kyle couldn't see/do something that Gruden will to get Hank going.

I've just about given up hope on him but fingers crossed.

Notice how when Brady had good receivers he did really well?

And when Peyton has good receivers he does really well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.