• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Gruden situational awareness

No first time head coach is going to have their big wig brother anywhere near what they are doing. Jay Gruden will want to succeed on his own, and doesn't need big brothers help. That doesn't mean they won't talk but beyond that I don't foresee Jon Gruden having input or impact on the Redskins.

No first time head coach is going to have their big wig brother anywhere near what they are doing. Jay Gruden will want to succeed on his own, and doesn't need big brothers help. That doesn't mean they won't talk but beyond that I don't foresee Jon Gruden having input or impact on the Redskins.

Like i said, i might be overthinking it, but for some reason i can see Jon approaching Jay to try to help.. not necessarily the other way around.

I really hope not. I think he was overrated in Tampa and after the D that Dungy set up went away his real talents showed.

Plus I don't think we need the circus attention that he will bring.

Mike...not throwing darts...but I was just thinking about the Dungy stay in TB the other day and similar comments. the problem I have is this - Dungy didn't win a championship with that talent. Gruden did.

Gruden won against the team whos offense he designed. He played QB on practice and showed them literally what Gannon would do.

Any tampa player will tell you that was Dungys built team and Gruden rode it to the super bowl. They were good before he got there.

all true.

but what I remember was year after year with stellar defenses Dungy never got to the Big One and never won. Gruden took the same talent, as you say, and won it all.

Dungy's offenses always collapsed in the playoffs. what was Gruden's specific strength?

Uhh..getting keyshawn and keenan?

You're asking me to remember over a decade ago in specifics. How about what we discuss on his longevity and how he never even came close to duplicating it again?

Miguel....not here to fight. not here to hero worship Jon Gruden either. DOn't care about him - we have our Gruden! Most of what you say is accurate. What I'm saying is that Dungy's term in TB wasn't any better when viewed from the perspective of results. His offenses in TB were almost always bad/average and that's why they never got to a SB. It's why he was fired. For what it's worth...Gruden came into that situation, made the needed fixes, and won. Doesn't matter whether the talent was on-hand or not. the point is he got it done. it's not like the JJ situation with Switzer - Johnson got to and won a SB before turning it over.

I'm with ya otherwise. though....were I you...I'd prepare myself for the inevitable claims of greatness and uniqueness of the Gruden family - after Jay takes our outfit to a Lombardi in 2-3 years.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only indicating by the comment about Jon giving Jay advice that was probably one reason Jay noted at the press conference that contrary to reports no final decisions on assistant coaches had been made.

I was only indicating by the comment about Jon giving Jay advice that was probably one reason Jay noted at the press conference that contrary to reports no final decisions on assistant coaches had been made.

any thoughts on Raheem as DC?

any thoughts on Raheem as DC?

I've never been too big a fan of his, having seen lots of Tampa games. When Kiffen left, the D wasn't what it had been with Morris as DC. Then the Glaizers got lazy, and just promoted him to HC instead of doing the work. Look where it got them..... Like Gruden said, there's lots of good coaches around the league, and we have the money to pay for a top ranked outsider if that's who he wants.

Like Gruden said, there's lots of good coaches around the league, and we have the money to pay for a top ranked outsider if that's who he wants.

Well they kept Haslett around for a reason and I'd think that if he didn't want him they'd have fired him before he was hired. I hope we don't end up with another Haslett 25-32nd ranked defense just because our new hc owes a favor from 5 years ago in the Arena League.

Well they kept Haslett around for a reason and I'd think that if he didn't want him they'd have fired him before he was hired. I hope we don't end up with another Haslett 25-32nd ranked defense just because our new hc owes a favor from 5 years ago in the Arena League.

Haz is the safety net. If they can't entice somebody they want to come here and coach, they have a guy and a system in place.

The silence is deafening.

Been awfully quiet in Gruden/Redskin-land since the initial day or two of welcome aboards!!!!

Fansince, I'm going to take a "concentrate on potential upsides" perspective on this.

They're too busy working to bother with public announcements right at this moment.

That's the way I'm looking at it because I choose to. :)

Morris I think is a guy that fits in well as a position coach or coordinator.

He seems to have been in over his head as the HC in Tampa.

Would I have a problem with him as DC?

Only if we keep the same crummy players around on defense :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.