• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Some Things To Watch This Weekend

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Happy Sunday everyone!

We may be out of the playoffs, but there is a lot to watch in terms of our Redskins in the next two days. Several future players, and maybe even our next HC will be featured on the televison. So let's get down to it. A few things to watch:

Sunday 1pm est. San Diego Chargers at Cincinnati Bengals

Two of the most desired HC candidates will be on the Cincy sideline. The Bengals have a shocking 11-5 record this season, three playoff appearances in a row, and these two men deserve much of the credit.

If you prefer offense, keep your eyes on the game plan of Jay Gruden. Gruden, a former QB himself, is credited with turning around one of the league's worst offenses in a very short period of time. And he's done it with a very average Andy Dalton at quarterback, and an assortment of other players that many NFL fans won't recognize.

If you prefer defense, then Mike Zimmer might be your man. A long-time NFL veteran, Zimmer has created a defense that is consistently near the top of the league. His defense is elite, and he's considered to be a top candidate for a head coaching position very soon.

Monday 8:30pm est. Auburn Tigers vs. Florida State Seminoles

NFL scouts all over the country will be tuned in for this BCS Championship. Few games in recent memory boast as many NFL prospects as this showdown tomorrow night.

Florida State sent a record 11 players into the NFL last season, but that didn't hurt them. This year I anticipate that another 14 of their 22 starters will make the leap into the NFL. It's a bevy of talent on both sides of the ball.

In addition to a host of linemen, safeties and cornerbacks that would make any team happy, pay particular attention to WR Kelvin Benjamin. Benjamin, who stands 6'5 and weighs 240 pounds, may just be the next Calvin Johnson or Josh Gordon. He makes electrifying catches and is nearly impossible to bring down. He is currently believed to be a late first round pick, but a big performance tomorrow night may catapult him into the top 10. If he were to somehow slip into the second round, could the Redskins possibly resist?

Enjoy the games! And get your scouting caps on. Next year's NFL season will begin before you know it.

HTTR

Oh Lord! Here we go again. Gruden took a middle of the road offense and made them a little bit better middle of the road offense.

And I like Zimmer, but I did not realize how old he is. yes, I am factoring that into the equation. Not saying it would eliminate him, it appears he's a no nonsense kinda coach and I like that. But he's a a bit long in the tooth for what I'd like to see...young and hungry. Edit: Qualified too of course. :laugh:

And Yes! If Kevin Benjamin falls to the 34th pick in the draft...I would not be a bit upset. He is going to be a monster in the NFL.

Last edited:
Brian - good luck finding a 'young and hungry' NFL head coach candidate who is a 100% sure thing to succeed and who has already proven himself. That criteria is going to eliminate nearly every 'young and hungry' candidate we interview. Gruden (and other candidates) can only be measured on the limited roles they've had to date. If we go 'young and hungry' it's a risk no matter who we select. I'd like to hear some legitimate reasons why Gruden shouldn't be our guy.

Don't forget that you'll be watching Ken Whisenhunt's offense when Phillip Rivers is on the field.

Btw - Cincinnati has the 6th ranked defense this year, that's a lot better than 'better than average' (by comparison, the Redskins were ranked 30th in overall defense). They are 5th ranked against the pass overall, and 5th ranked against the run overall. I think that's pretty impressive.

Btw - Cincinnati has the 6th ranked defense this year, that's a lot better than 'better than average' (by comparison, the Redskins were ranked 30th in overall defense). They are 5th ranked against the pass overall, and 5th ranked against the run overall. I think that's pretty impressive.

Especially since they achieved that ranking without one of the better Dlinemen(Atkins) in the league and one of the better corners(Leon Hall)...lost due to injury.

Boone, I understand what McD5 is saying. I like Gruden, but it gets tiring hearing him call Jay Gruden the savior of this franchise...paraphrasing. I think he does it just to ruffle feathers. No big deal, at least he has a sense of humor about it. I just didn't think we needed a whole new thread about his love affair with Gruden. Now, the WR from FSU? Yeah, we can start 10 threads about him! :laugh:

And I don't believe I said anything about their defense being anything other than solid. I am on the Mike Zimmer band wagon, but he's a lot older than I thought he was. I would prefer a coach who is in his mid-late 40's with the qualifications and hunger. Tall order? Yup! One can only hope.

not that it means anything...but it hasn't escaped my notice that it appears the Skins are retaining more defensive coaches from the old staff than offensive. they ultimately looking for an offensive oriented HC?

don't know.

the more I think about things and all the holes - I think I line up more and more with fixing the o-line. i was listening to some stats this morning about the playoffs: teams are scoring at a record pace (i.e., defenses, even the better/best are simply at too much of a disadvantage given rules changes and the innovations coaches like Kelly are bringing into the league). I really, really like smash mouth defense. but that may have to wait - get the dominant offense going first. and for us that CLEARLY points to starting with the o-line and then finding a big, fast #1 receiver to pair w/Garcon. RT, RG, Center: FA and draft. DO IT! Reality? I think they definitely replace RT and maybe RG. otherwise, no changes to the starting outfit.

year number two under the new coach - use the top picks for restocking the defense.

It gets tiring hearing everyone jump all over McD5 for his opinions. I think people do it to ruffle his feathers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

And I don't believe I said anything about their defense being anything other than solid. I am on the Mike Zimmer band wagon, but he's a lot older than I thought he was. I would prefer a coach who is in his mid-late 40's with the qualifications and hunger. Tall order? Yup! One can only hope.

Yeah, my bad - I misread that... Zimmer reminds me a lot of my high school football coach. No doubt knows his stuff, but comes across as a little 'unsophisticated' if you ask me. Not sure he could handle the nuances required in that position. Probably a perfect coordinator. But head coach? I don't know...

Whisenhunt > Gruden.

The Bengal's offense is big play...very high risk. San Diego is grind it out with the big o-line...then take your shots.

I'd rather have a Whisenhunt/Grimm reunion in DC.

Me too, and I would not be opposed to Gregg Williams coming back as the DC.

Whisenhunt > Gruden.

The Bengal's offense is big play...very high risk. San Diego is grind it out with the big o-line...then take your shots.

I'd rather have a Whisenhunt/Grimm reunion in DC.

In 6 years as Arizona's head coach, Whisenhunt was 6 games under .500. Yeah, he's a former Redskin and yeah, he won the NFC in 2008, but he only won more than 9 games once in 6 years. Why all the love? He's had an extended stint as a head coach and 4 of 6 years was no better than .500. That's not particularly impressive.

We don't know what Gruden can do. I say we find out.

In 6 years as Arizona's head coach, Whisenhunt was 6 games under .500. Yeah, he's a former Redskin and yeah, he won the NFC in 2008, but he only won more than 9 games once in 6 years. Why all the love? He's had an extended stint as a head coach and 4 of 6 years was no better than .500. That's not particularly impressive.

You been watching the display today of that Bengals offense?

Looks like we are finding out some interesting things today.

Maybe because outside of Warner(whose career Whiz resurrected) Graves never gave him any material to work with at Qb or Rb?
John Skelton ,Derek Anderson and Kevin Kolb? Really?

Tim Hightower and a washed up Edgerin James?

Would not mind him here. Solid choice.

Well, I remember that after the run to the Super Bowl in 2008 that the Cardinals undermined Whisenhunt by refusing to step up and resign key free agents and trading productive players like Anquan Boldin.

You could make for/against arguments for both Whisenhunt AND Gruden based on talent they had to work with. That's why it's so damned hard to pick the right coach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.