• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2014 Coaching Search Rumors

As someone said, hiring Cowher depends on the whole package. If we try giving him the keys to the whole kingdom, I am dead set against it. If he is the HC only, and we bring in a GM to help with personnel decisions, I could live with that, again, depending on his assistants. As Boone pointed out, Cowher has a pretty impressive record of success to point to, in many ways more impressive than Shanahan's.

But to me, it comes down to control.

I agree with you

Given the trend of successful HC's trying to make their name at the GM role, I'm inclined to think control is going to be a top priority, and demand, for someone like Cowher (or John Gruden) and Snyder will acquiesce.

I don't think Cowher has ever had the reputation that Shanahan has for being a control-freak, petty, vindictive man with a fragile ego. I'm not advocating for Cowher, I'm just saying, if it happens, there are some positives.

I'm already on record saying Snyder is the debil and the Redskins are doomed forever. So personally, I don't think it matters who the latest savior is. How's that for positivity McD5 :)

I'm not sure Snyder is as desperate as he was 4 years ago. I think the panic that set in at Redskins Park 4 years ago when fans were legitimately talking about boycotts and protests (due largely to the Swinging Gate play) dwarfs the concern Snyder feels today. A change HAD to be made 4 years ago, and he needed a lifeline from a respected, big name coach. There are a lot of fans who will look at Cowher and roll their eyes and say "more of the same". No matter his resume, Cowher isn't going to bring the cache that Shanahan did 4 years ago, largely because of Shanahan's failures.

Hopefully Dan realizes he doesn't NEED Cowher, and therefore won't give him the keys to everything. Probably wishful thinking on my part, but that's what I'm going with.

I cannot stand all this talk about a new head coach! I want to know what the front office is going to look like before we "hire" a coach!

Can't say Cowher is at the top of my list either.

Wouldn't mind Wade Phillips or Lovie Smith.

I would GAG at either of these two! Wade Phillips as coordinator? Fine. As head coach? We saw how successful he was in Dallas...no thanks. And Love Smith? I am not a big fan of his either. For me, you either go back to the coaching legend well (it didn't work out with Shanahan, but I think that had more to do with personality than innate ability), or you give an up and coming young stud like Jay Gruden the keys to the car. I'm not in favor of giving former has-beens a 4 year trial run. I know sometimes it has worked out (Pete Carroll being one example) but it is rare that someone proves not to be who we thought they were.

God - it's great to be a Redskins fan! #notsomuchreally

this is how my brain is operating today
1039029.gif

I cannot stand all this talk about a new head coach! I want to know what the front office is going to look like before we "hire" a coach!

why on earth would you expect that to be the actual route taken?

Watching cartoons this morning with my kids,it dawned on me how to fix this team.

Mr.Krabs should be the GM/Salary cap guru
SpongeBob for HC
Patrick for OC
Plankton for DC
Sandy Cheeks for Special Teams
Squidward for PR

If we're gonna aspire to be cartoonish,might as well try to do it right....right?

C'mon...laugh just a little? We need to to get through this.....

God, I don't ask for much. Please bring us Jay Gruden. I'm begging you.

I would GAG at either of these two! Wade Phillips as coordinator? Fine. As head coach? We saw how successful he was in Dallas...no thanks. And Love Smith? I am not a big fan of his either. For me, you either go back to the coaching legend well (it didn't work out with Shanahan, but I think that had more to do with personality than innate ability), or you give an up and coming young stud like Jay Gruden the keys to the car. I'm not in favor of giving former has-beens a 4 year trial run. I know sometimes it has worked out (Pete Carroll being one example) but it is rare that someone proves not to be who we thought they were.

Yeah, Wade as anything but a coordinator would frustrate me to no end. I could, however, talk myself into Lovie I think. Either way, I would like to think Snyder would hire a GM as Brian keeps screaming, and let that person make the decision. Barring that, I would like to imagine Snyder has a serious sitdown with whoever his choice is, before paperwork is signed, and goes through all the painfulness of the last four years in detail with the newbie to make sure that sort of foolishness doesn't happen again.

But that is probably giving Danny Boy WAY too much credit.

Yeah, I think you're drinking too much wine Goal. That's my issue with Snyder. If 1/3rd of the stuff being reported in terms of behind the scenes dysfunction is true, Snyder should've pulled the key players in this organization in long ago and stopped that shit in it's tracks. Not 'meddling' in football decisions is one thing, but Snyder IS the owner, and is responsible for the organization running functionally and professionally and working together productively towards goals he establishes. He has utterly failed at that. Those who want to blame everyone but Shanahan and company for where we are at are missing the obvious truth.

Snyder has no clue how to manage/lead a successful organization.

I don't see that magically changing. So we'd better hope like hell he stumbles onto some talent that can do it for him.

Yeah, agreed. (The wine is great, btw)

That is one of the reasons I fully support Brian's plan to hire an honest to God football GM who can take care of the entire organization. I will say this for Danny, if he ever finds the right combination of FO/Coach to get us to win, I doubt he does much at that point to get in their way, which is more than you can say for Jerrah. We just need to hope and pray that he is able to find that right combination at some point.

You gave us neither Aqib Talib, nor Josh Gordon.

I'm calling in a favor, God. You owe us one.

blink.gif

If the Redskins have talked with a minority candidate, it could be David Shaw (fingers crossed) or Kevin Sumlin.

You gave us neither Aqib Talib, nor Josh Gordon.

I'm calling in a favor, God. You owe us one.

I swear Talib signed a 1 year deal with New England because he wanted to come here but we didn't have the money yet (Thanks Mike for signing Fred Davis). Unfortunately, I fear the new Coach/GM won't want him now or he'll want too much money coming off a Pro-Bowl season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.