• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Companion Piece to Coaches: Players You Would Like to See Gone

May take some flak but it's time for Santana to go. He just doesn't have the speed and especially hands any more.

May take some flak but it's time for Santana to go. He just doesn't have the speed and especially hands any more.

No flak from me. His play has dropped off considerably.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Cofield and Bowen are not worth their contracts at this point in their careers.

With the disappointing play of Jarvis Jenkins it appears we either need to change the scheme to 4-3 to better fit some of these players or we are going to have to find a new defensive line for the 3-4.

At one point we were starting Golston at 290, Cofield at 305 and Bowen at 300.

That's a bit light for a 3-4 front.

You see nose tackles that go 330 and ends in the. 310-315 range as well.

Our inside linebackers Fletcher at 245 and Riley at 240 were a smallish tandem as well.

Couldn't see the games but didn't Baker turn it up when he had the opportunity? I'd like to keep Cofield as a 4-3 end. Bowen on the other hand wouldn't be too terribly missed.

Maybe something like....
Cofield, Soleil, Baker/draft pick, then Rak as our front?

Damn the more you think about it the more realization both our lines suck.

Damn the more you think about it the more realization both our lines suck.
What's frustrating?

We already have fans clamoring to draft WRs or CBs when up front is where it's at when it comes to winning...especially with this team.

What's frustrating?

We already have fans clamoring to draft WRs or CBs when up front is where it's at when it comes to winning...especially with this team.

I hope like hell the Bruce hits this draft with epic trade downs and hoarding up fat boys. Perfect time to do so unless there's a gigantopithecus NT there at the top of the 2nd. Otherwise our 2nd coupled with a few 3rds could net us some serious rebuild foundation on both sides.

I don't think the DL is as bad as you guys make it sound. A true NT that can collapse a pocket, move Cofield to end, and I think a lot of our defensive deficiencies will be masked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

What's frustrating?

That is why I am starting to like the idea of Ken Whisenhunt with Russ Grimm and Gregg Williams as the coordinators. I have the feeling that if those guys are in charge, we address the lines first and foremost. Maybe that is just wishful thinking, maybe the personnel dept plans to address both lines first regardless of the coach.

Only problem I would have with that coaching staff is that I am afraid we would not have a fit for the dynamic Griffin. I have a feeling that whomever is the next person running the offense is going to need to stretch the field for him. Who knows? Maybe that solid, win it in the trenches style of play is the most fitting scheme for Robert.

It's obvious to the fans. But, we're at the bottom of the heap in drafting o-line in the last decade or so.

Let's see what happens this year...I'm not optimistic since there's a glaring need at WR. Anyone want to wager if our first pick is a lineman or a skill position?

It depends who is there tr1. We all want linemen. But no one wants another Leribeus.

Not trying to make you crazy, but there is a WR that is slotted at the end of round 1, top of round 2 that may just be impossible to pass if he's available.

If that happens, we'll need to really land some great FAs on the line.

It depends who is there tr1. We all want linemen. But no one wants another Leribeus.

Not trying to make you crazy, but there is a WR that is slotted at the end of round 1, top of round 2 that may just be impossible to pass if he's available.

If that happens, we'll need to really land some great FAs on the line.

I think we need 4 new starters on the OL, and I'm not sure we have enough cap space to fill all of those positions via FA especially with needing multiple starters on the defense (e.g. DE43/OLB34, CB, FS, SS, ILB, OLBs.) I think we might be able to fill 3 of 4 via FA and draft the other position in the 2nd or 3rd. I could see trading down in the 2nd and netting an extra 3rd (giving away our 5th) and then we could either draft OG in the second or S and vice versa in the 3rd. It would be nice to draft a WR high as well, but I'm not sure this should take precedence over the OL and secondary. Besides, I don't think we've got a total read on the WR play so far (though it certainly can and should be upgraded) - it would be interesting to see the results if Griffin could play behind a solid OL and receive solid coaching in a more effective scheme.

And LeRibeus was rated as like a 6th/7th pick going into that draft - it was a total head scratcher (at least to me) when they drafted him in the 3rd.

Barry Cofield is 305, he isn't going to play DE in the 4-3 but DT as he did in New York.

I think we need to reconsider Bowen. His cap number is very high for a run stopper that gets injured frequently.

Baker could move to DT and you could put Kerrigan back as the rush end.

That to me would be maximizing your personnel up front.

We can't fix what is wrong with both lines in one off season and that would be true even if we had our 1st round pick this year. We need at least 3 new starters on the offensive line, maybe 4, and the defensive line will all depend on what scheme we play which none of us can guess at right now. However, whether it's a 3-4 or a 4-3 we are going to need lineman.

I know a lot of folks think we can fix things with all that cap room we have this year by shopping in Free Agency but the truth of the matter is that teams don't often let good players walk away. How many FA signings have really worked out here in DC? Garçon and Fletcher have been stellar but they are the only knock-it-out-of-the-park signings I can think of in a very long time. The rest of our signings have been solid middle of the road signings that have turned in serviceable performances at best. I am thinking of guys like Cofield, Bowen, Merriweather, Wilson, Rocca, Liechensteiger and Montgomery when I say that.

If a guy is available he is probably available for a reason and it usually isn't a good one.

Our brightest stars are all draft picks. We need to make the most of that and then fill in with FA signings for depth. We just aren't going to see many quality starters out of FA.

Yep - the franchise tag all but guarantees that the really great players aren't available although it's all relative. There will be some serious talent out there but with our new found fiscal conservatism we may not be competitive for the best of them.

This is a year where I might set aside 'best player available' and draft 'best offensive and defensive linemen available' exclusively. Then next year we look to bolster secondary and WR spots.

I would agree with that, Boone. It would not bother me at all to see the team draft nothing but big uglies this year.

I fully expect to see either Lichtensteiger or Montgomery still starting on our O-line next year. Maybe both of them. I also expect either Cofield or Bowen to be starting and Jenkins, Golston and Carriker to be in the mix on the defensive side.

That is what the good teams do.

SF drafted their linemen and went into the secondary market for guys like Anquan Boldin and Carlos Rogers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.