• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RI: Zorn says Randle El is primary punt returner

Chris

Ring of Fame
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...edskinsinsider

Zorn says Randle El is primary punt returner

Coach Jim Zorn today contradicted comments he made the previous two days about the team's punt return situation, saying after practice "nothing has changed" and Antwaan Randle El would remain the team's primary returner.

"Antwaan, I guess he got asked a couple of questions, and he came into my office to talk about it," Zorn said. "I said, 'Well, there's really nothing to talk about. Nothing has changed.' That's how I would bill it. There's no difference."

Click on link above for the remainder

ARE has consistently hurt this team on returns the past 2 seasons and I don't understand why the team seems to be permanently married to having him back there.

His 5.2 yard return average is among the lowest in the NFL for the second straight season and has muffs in the last 3 games.

When was the last time ARE went the distance for the Skins?

Anyone catch the return game the Vikings enjoyed against Green Bay?

Seen that from a Redskins returner in the past 7-8 years?

ARE was a joke contract at 6 years and $30M.

He was a #3 receiver in Pittsburgh and a player the team deemed expendable after winning the Super Bowl.

The Steelers simply went out and drafted other wide receivers and moved on.

Meanwhile the Redskins have a 31 year old receiver whose declining skills and big contract are on display for everyone to see.

"We're going to change punt returners"
"YAY"
"No, we're not"
"BOO"

This team is coma-guy with a migraine.

In a way, I admire Zorn for trying to show support for his players, something he's not getting any of. At the same time, a shakeup is needed. Give someone else a shot, someone who is capable of taking it all the way. ARE is just not that guy anymore.

More reason Zorn should be fired.
This has been an issue for years now. And only now is the team addressing it, yet just when you think we're going to see a player that might be a PR threat, Zorn comes out and says " No Randle-El is my guy".

ARE should have lost these duties at the beginning of the 2009 season

More reason Zorn should be fired.
This has been an issue for years now. And only now is the team addressing it, yet just when you think we're going to see a player that might be a PR threat, Zorn comes out and says " No Randle-El is my guy".

ARE should have lost these duties at the beginning of the 2009 season

The inconsistency and contradictions is mind boggling.

Only question I have for Zorn is --- what does he see in Randle El to think he is the best guy back there? I dont get it.

The other thing that is troubling to me is the fact we will try to play in guys like Kevin Barnes and Robert Henson, but not Marko Mitchell. Why not try and see if we have at least one guy that knows how to do two things, get open and make a catch.

The other thing that is troubling to me is the fact we will try to play in guys like Kevin Barnes and Robert Henson, but not Marko Mitchell. Why not try and see if we have at least one guy that knows how to do two things, get open and make a catch.

I was REALLY lamenting this when Campbell threw that fade to Moss against Philly. Yes, Moss was interfered with but the pass was actually perfect for once. Moss just wasn't big enough or strong enough to hold onto it. Marko would have caught it.

You just can't continue to keep a potential Red Zone threat inactive. I don't care if he's raw or if he's a rookie. We're 2-5. What the heck have we got to lose?

Is anyone else tired of Zorn continuing to front some guys like ARE and then show too little confidence and support in others?

Zorn standing on the sideline looking clueless is getting as old as listening to Vinny talk about having a pro bowl ready roster.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The line seems to be between offense and defense.

On defense, rookie and second year guys are thrown in there and expected to do the job. Orakpo, Jarmon, Horton, Tryon - all these guys are getting playing time. Are they making mistakes? Sure. Are they learning and getting better every week? Absolutely.

Offense is a completely different thing. Young need not apply apparently. Sure, Thomas and Kelly have been starting at the flanker spot this year but it has taken an injury to Cooley to get Davis much playing time. Mitchell can't get on the active game day roster.

At some point I have to start looking at the offensive coaches and wonder whether they are capable of getting a rookie ready to play or if they are just too cautious to try it.

A note about the fade to Moss to go with above statements...I am less frustrated by the fact that Mitchell wasn't active to try that with than I am the complete unwillingness to try it with Kelly who was not only active but in the game for that play.

Only question I have for Zorn is --- what does he see in Randle El to think he is the best guy back there? I dont get it.

Exactly.
All ARE did well in PR duties was that he was reliable for fair catching......that's not even a gimme anymore.

We've got Moss, Hall, Thomas and Tryon who have history either during college or the NFL at PRs, why aren't they used more? I get that Hall and Moss are starters so that makes sense, but let Tryon or Thomas make some plays.....

Barnes is a huge issue for me. Huge. There are multiple positions that the Skins could have addressed with the 3rd round pick (DT, DE, any offensive line position, SLB or any LB) but they went CB. To me that means that Barnes was/is good enough to be a #2/#3 caliber corner. To me that means that he should be on the field at least as a STer or in Dime spots......

Barnes hasn't even been active. Same with Henson (drafted for his ST abilities). It doesn't make much sense. And that's on the coaches and Zorn in particular.

Put Thomas back there. Put Mitchell back there. Christ...I'm willing to bet HEYER could do better than ARE.

Although interestingly enough...ARE is doing better at punt returns than Reggie Bush, which I find interesting.

I am boggled at the stubbornness to keep him back there. Why? What in the world has he done? I am blown away by the blindness of a lot of people in the organization that just INSIST on playing certain guys when they are not playing even at a decent level. Is it such a horrible thought for them to try out Thomas? Or Mitchell? Or Hall? I have no doubt in my mind that Jason Taylor could return punts just as well as Randle El. All he does is dance in a circle and than fall to the ground.

Returners after a certain age lose that reckless abandon on returns. It is akin to running backs as they hit 30 after carrying the ball so many times.

ARE became tentative as a returner in 2007 when he was given the chance to start here.

That took away his desire to make contact on teams.

Now in 2009 he is slowing down as well so where there is an opening on returns he no longer can take advantage of it.

We need an infusion of youth and speed here.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.