• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

60 Max: Mike Shanahan Thinks Starting Kirk Cousins Might Yield A First-Round Pick

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Mike Shanahan thinks starting Kirk Cousins might yield a first-round draft pick | 60 Max Power O - Pro Football News, Coverage and Analysis

So Shanahan is now openly soliciting a draft pick for Cousins during the season, and is trying to set the market price.

Everyone likely supports the idea of a trade for us, but has a coach ever said this right before a game?

How much do you think Cousins hates Shanahan, and how badly does Cousins want to get away from this franchise?

It's amazing. Shanny continues to deliver.

geez. trying to improve the roster! what in the world is he thinking?

and Cousins? no doubt he'd prefer to remain glued to the bench. no doubt he doesn't want an opportunity to start - anywhere in the NFL! I'm sure he's really angry over this whole thing.

I keep saying this, but there is no bad outcome, barring a catastrophic injury to Cousins, that comes out of benching Griff. If Cousins struggles, it's really easy to say that Griff struggled too behind our crappy line. His trade value might diminish some, but not enough, imo to damage that potential too much. If he lights it up, or even just plays competently, then we could have a Brees/River situation on our hands, except that instead of letting Brees leave for nothing, we could trade and recoup some lost draft picks.

Say what you will about Shanahan (and I've said plenty), but if he is able to turn a 4th round draft pick from two years ago into a 2nd round pick, that's pretty effing impressive. If Cousins lights it up and we get a first? THAT could be his legacy here.

bingo!

RG is playing horribly. he needs to sit the rest of the season out and start fresh after a month rest (I'm waiting and watching to see just how he approaches the off-season: more media events, or "I'm not letting this happen again...whatever it takes"). there is no downside to playing Cousins. the only thing I don't like is having Robert run the scout team - a step too far.

Seem to recall Ax saying that MS could be part of a package with Cousins to a new team. Hey Houston! Give you our entire staff and Cousins for that first pick and a second rounder next year! :laugh2:

geez. trying to improve the roster! what in the world is he thinking?

and Cousins? no doubt he'd prefer to remain glued to the bench. no doubt he doesn't want an opportunity to start - anywhere in the NFL! I'm sure he's really angry over this whole thing.

Fan, imagine that you're the backup QB and I'm the coach.

Behind closed doors, I'm telling you to stay prepared, to continue to develop, and that neither of us knows what the future holds.

If RG3 gets injured, or doesn't play well, that you may be our QB of the future.

Then I go to the media during the season and say that we're praying to trade you.

It really isn't that hard to understand.

It's why you've never seen another NFL coach act this way since 1962.

McD5....here's what I know:

- from day 1 Cousins AND Shanahan have stated RG is not only the starter...but the franchise QB

- from day 1, vis his ambitions, I have heard Cousins say three things: he is the backup; he is here to continually improve; he wants to be a starting QB.

to me, common sense falls more along the lines of "this is my opportunity to prove what I can do and possibly have some other team take a chance on me." I think he has an entirely positive mindset about the whole thing - he has to in order to succeed. the stuff surrounding Robert? one compartmentalizes and puts that to the side. His goal has to be to perform well.

this can be a win win all all around. the question in my mind is over probabilities - with this offensive line?

the season has been horrible. IMO, however, folks are forgetting that it has to be finished. I think, for the most part, the coaching staff is focused on each game. the finger pointing/assessment will happen once the season is over. players? not so sure. I know I want the quitters off the roster. example: while I like Moss...getting tired of his interviews. he's not showing leadership. I believe he has already decided/concluded he is gone once the season ends.

Last edited by a moderator:

- from day 1 Cousins AND Shanahan have stated RG is not only the starter...but the franchise QB

- from day 1, vis his ambitions, I have heard Cousins say three things: he is the backup; he is here to continually improve; he wants to be a starting QB.

to me, common sense falls more along the lines of "this is my opportunity to prove what I can do and possibly have some other team take a chance on me." I thick he has an entirely positive mindset about the whole thing - he has to in order to succeed. the stuff surrounding Robert? one compartmentalizes and puts that to the side. His goal has to be to perform well.

this can be a win win all all around. the question in my mind is over probabilities - with this offensive line?

So many questions about QB capabilities and potential-for Griff and Cousins both-revolve around this element.

The big elephant in the room.

Or, maybe, not big enough.

to me, common sense falls more along the lines of "this is my opportunity to prove what I can do and possibly have some other team take a chance on me." I think he has an entirely positive mindset about the whole thing - he has to in order to succeed. the stuff surrounding Robert? one compartmentalizes and puts that to the side. His goal has to be to perform well.

the season has been horrible. IMO, however, folks are forgetting that it has to be finished. I think, for the most part, the coaching staff is focused on each game. the finger pointing/assessment will happen once the season is over. players? not so sure. I know I want the quitters off the roster. example: while I like Moss...getting tired of his interviews. he's not showing leadership. I believe he has already decided/concluded he is gone once the season ends.

I agree with all of this.

But nothing is gained by Shanahan saying this to the media. It doesn't serve to breed a lot of trust within the players. Especially right before three games where we are depending on him. "Go kick some ass Kirk! We'd love to trade you."

What's he going to say next to the media? "Hey, we'll take a trade for Helu too?"

Last edited:
well....folks have been talking about Cousins being traded one day since he was drafted. just as some folks have been saying Shanahan really wanted Cousins to be his QB from the git go and that Shanahan was forced into drafting RGIII. see the problem?

I think none of us know what is going on and return to theme - a lot of this is just media pot stirring. I'm more interested in the fixes at this point.

we went through a horrible season. this will have consequences. there will be arse covering and maneuvering - no doubt about it. I'm content to just let that play out. I have my own ideas on what should unfold, but right now, I think we need to just let this abomination of a season finish with no further drama.

I agree with all of that too. Especially the no more drama part.

So Shanahan doesn't need to continue it by saying things like this to the media--unless he really is trying to get fired.

I agree with all of that too. Especially the no more drama part.

So Shanahan doesn't need to continue it by saying things like this to the media--unless he really is trying to get fired.

With everything he's saying maybe it'll get more obvious by that day that he really wants to be fired.

With everything he's saying maybe it'll get more obvious by that day that he really wants to be fired.

I think that's obvious. Now the real question is how you do it, and negotiate the $7 million down to $1 million.

As for the OP, Shanny has definitely lost it. He's done.

Has any coach, in any sport ever come out before and said "We're really hoping he plays well so we can trade him?"

Lmao. What a mess.

Shanny from the linked article said:
“And I think by him playing and Robert not playing, it gives us a chance to have a few options for our organization that we wouldn’t normally have, and the safety of our quarterback going into the offseason is preserved. . . . His value can only go up. It cannot go down. It can only go up.”

Didn't take the time to roundup all of the interview but looking at the article there seems to be a little context manipulation of the quote.......

Which QB is he talking about when he says 'his value can only go up' If he's actually talking Cousins then 'whatever' all you want but suppose he was actually referring to a healthy Griff going into the offseason. The meaning of the quote changes a little.

It does look like he's talkin Cousins but as we all know, Shanny's communicative skills are not all that impressive and there is absolutely no chance at all that interpretation of his lingo gets twisted some by the media now is there.

If Cousins lights it up and we get a first? THAT could be his legacy here.

Trading a 4th for a 1st rounder would only partially offset for the king's ransom, that Shanahan surrendered to get Griffin, so I don't see the move as quite legendary or brilliant.

I know that no-one likes a pessimist, but I see starting Cousins as a Lose-Lose situation, now.

Playing behind the same offensive line, that we used as an excuse for Griffin's poor play, if he then "lights it up", then what does that say about our future QB, Griffin and his pocket presence, decision-making, reads, accuracy, and the speed of his arm release, when he was behind that same line ?

And if he stinks it up, of course, that 1st or 2nd rounder, could quickly dwindle to a 4th or a 5th rounder, or less.

Of course, there's the possibility of him being average. I guess that would be the only situation that wouldn't be Lose-Lose.

Last edited:
So many questions about QB capabilities and potential-for Griff and Cousins both-revolve around this element.

The big elephant in the room.

Or, maybe, not big enough.
That's what always makes me scratch my head about most teams.

You take a look at some of the dominant teams in history and the one thing they had most in common was line play.

70's Steelers were great on the Dline and very good on Oline.

Skins:3 SB wins with three different QBs and RBs but HOF caliber Oline and a very good Dline

Early 90's Boys: Both stout on both sides of the line.

Yet year after year, about the only position that gets any attention in this league is LT. Everybody goes on the cheap after that.

Why? As the old commercial said: The world will never know.

Does anyone still believe that what Shanny does from here on out is to help our franchise?

Come on, seriously?

Benching RGIII is sticking a finger in DS's eye...and, telegraphing any potential trade for Cousins is also telling. Suppose Mike settles for a 5th rounder for Cousins? He has the authority to do it.

We're like a dysfunctional family once again.

so...you do know Shanahan had a private meeting to discuss and achieve buy-in for the RGIII benching with Snyder and Allen a week BEFORE the KC game....right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.