• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan's Self-Serving Ploy

Bulldog

The Legend
Reaction score
Shanahan's discussion this week about sitting Griffin the last three games to protect him for the future ring hollow to me.

Here is my take:

1. Shanahan has taken a lot of heat for leaving Griffin in the Seattle playoff game and now that it seems clear he is leaving after the season doesn't want to held responsible for another injury to Griffin that conceivably could be laid back at his feet.

2. Shanahan's rationale is conveniently timed with all of the revelations in the news this week. Funny, with the Redskins season all but over at 3-8 and 3-9, Shanahan still had Griffin start games where the DL are a lot better than the ones he is bound to see against Atlanta and Dallas. Anyone see Dallas' DL against the Bears? Worst unit in the NFL bar none.

3. With the end of his tenure in sight Shanahan hopes to redeem his reputation with quarterbacks by starting Cousins and hoping he can play well and win a couple of these games. Shanahan called Cousins a first round pick in terms of talent after the draft.

Since Mike foolishly endorsed Rex and John Beck in 2011 and has crashed and burned in his relationship with RG3, he needs some positive note to go out on.

Isn't it ironic that 2 weeks ago Mike glared at reporters for suggesting we perhaps should see what some of the younger players can do and pull some starters and yet now that is what he is doing? What has changed in 2 weeks? Humm........

If Shanahan had been as adept at personnel and coaching hires as he has been in managing the media war with Griffin and Snyder his job would probably not been in jeopardy.

So, not only is Cousins going to start but Griffin is going to be inactive.

The Washington Redskins- the gift that keeps on giving.

Shanahan is trying to pull Snyder's leg hard enough that Snyder kicks back hard and fires him so Mike can try and walk away clean.

Snyder did that with Norv but he won't make that move again.

The season is over, there is no way to salvage much.

Might as well let Shanahan stand on the cold sideline and have to pretend he is doing his job.

Not gonna matter because Cousins will be just as exposed behind that horrible line and the WR's will keep dropping balls. And BT I think you and I are on the same page with all the Shanahan/Snyder B.S.

Not gonna matter because Cousins will be just as exposed behind that horrible line and the WR's will keep dropping balls. And BT I think you and I are on the same page with all the Shanahan/Snyder B.S.

That's why Rex should get the start. Need to protect both QB's the way I see it.

I tink Mike should get the start. Put his own butt out there with that line.

Interestingly he said he talked Snyder since it dealt with the franchise QB. Shanahan said Dan not worried about other positions so wouldn't consulted him on those.

I never heard him talk as long as he did today.

I took that as a shot across the bow to Snyder. "I asked Dan if it was okay," seemed kind of mocking to me...

So you have reports of RG3:

staring receivers down (noted here, in every game day chat)

not getting through his progressions (noted here)

not trusting what he sees

poor pocket presence (noted here)

And we all know the story of him missing valuable time due to injury, time that could've been spent on footwork and mechanics...honing his craft.

And now we're gonna begrudge the coach sitting him down?

If coaches are looking at film and saying some things look good but the QB doesn't get the ball out on time,screwing it up....why not make a switch to see what happens?

Again, you all are assuming this is a performance based benching. Shanahan has specifically said he's sitting him to protect his health for next year.

If people want to believe its somehow a shot at Snyder or to put Griffin in his place, they can. But I take it at face value. We don't want to get our franchise QB killed in meaningless games. It's really not that complicated, and of all things to berate Shanahan for, this shouldn't be one of them.

Again, you all are assuming this is a performance based benching. Shanahan has specifically said he's sitting him to protect his health for next year.

If people want to believe its somehow a shot at Snyder or to put Griffin in his place, they can. But I take it at face value. We don't want to get our franchise QB killed in meaningless games. It's really not that complicated, and of all things to berate Shanahan for, this shouldn't be one of them.

Yeah. To listen to ESPN Radio today, you'd think we are benching him because his play sucks, and we're about ready to give up on him, and see what we can get for him on the trade market.

Huh?

To me, this seems a no brainer. Nothing good can happen by Griffin being out there. Why not sit him, let him recover more, and he'll be back. If the worst thing that happens is that Cousins lights it up and we have some sort of Drew Brees/Phil Rivers situation on our hands, well... praise be to Allah! I'm not seeing how that's a really bad situation, frankly.

1: I don't nor have I ever believed this was/is a shot at Snyder

2: If you're a hard worker(by all accounts RG3 is), Shanny will take care of you.

I know he says this is for Griff's health and that's part of it...but i also believe it's an easy way to sit him down for bad performance without saying it.

Shanny is well versed in coach speak, as we all know....

Just my theory........

I don't think the benching is a shot at Snyder, I think the comments about asking his permission were a shot at Snyder. That's not what he said exactly, but he said something to that effect. I think Shanahan honestly has Griffin's best intentions in mind in benching him (or thinks he is not going to improve the above laundry-list of problems in this situation).

Maybe it is possible Snyder and Dan made up. Agreeing to sit RG3 down for his health is the start. Maybe they are acting like adults.

I would just like to see the Redskins Park Circus come to an end.

Rex Grossman III Active
Robert Griffin III Inactive

Meet your 2013 Washington Redskins

L
O
L

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it is possible Snyder and Dan made up. Agreeing to sit RG3 down for his health is the start. Maybe they are acting like adults.

I would just like to see the Redskins Park Circus come to an end.

I've wondered if on Monday, there weren't conversations around what it would take for Shanahan to be given the final year of his contract to try and turn things around, the first stipulation being that they would put Griffin in mothballs for the remainder of the 2013 season? If that possibly happened, I imagine there was also a discussion of what other changes needed to happen (like new coordinators/coaches - with DC and special teams changes being the bare minimum required) in order for Shanny to get his final year.

Ordinarily I don't think Shanahans ego would allow him to accept those kinds of stipulations, but his whole legacy as a coach is at stake. If he leaves or is fired it doesn't matter how he spins it - he will have failed. How appealing can that prospect be for him?

Everyone paints him as desperate to get fired but, really, how hard is it to get fired if that's what you are looking for? I'm wondering if perhaps he's actually desperate to come back and prove he can produce a winner.

Whether or not Snyder is willing to give him his final year - who knows? But I think what happens is hardly a foregone conclusion - on that front the media has it all wrong is my guess.

I've wondered if on Monday, there weren't conversations around what it would take for Shanahan to be given the final year of his contract to try and turn things around, the first stipulation being that they would put Griffin in mothballs for the remainder of the 2013 season? If that possibly happened, I imagine there was also a discussion of what other changes needed to happen (like new coordinators/coaches - with DC and special teams changes being the bare minimum required) in order for Shanny to get his final year.

Ordinarily I don't think Shanahans ego would allow him to accept those kinds of stipulations, but his whole legacy as a coach is at stake. If he leaves or is fired it doesn't matter how he spins it - he will have failed. How appealing can that prospect be for him?

Everyone paints him as desperate to get fired but, really, how hard is it to get fired if that's what you are looking for? I'm wondering if perhaps he's actually desperate to come back and prove he can produce a winner.

Whether or not Snyder is willing to give him his final year - who knows? But I think what happens is hardly a foregone conclusion - on that front the media has it all wrong is my guess.

If Shanahan is to come back, one change I want is Allen to be GM and have final say on players.

I don't want Shanahan blowing the whole increase in cap space in a win now mentality with no check and balance for the future well being of the franchise.

Let's sit Alfred Morris, Jordan Reed, Ryan Kerrigan, Pierre Garcon, and Trent Williams, too. I'd hate for them to get hurt in the final three meaningless games and all of them could benefit from going into the off-season healthy.

And what if Cousins gets hurt? There goes any trade value he has.

Hell, lets start Rex and wish him well.

Let's sit Alfred Morris, Jordan Reed, Ryan Kerrigan, Pierre Garcon, and Trent Williams, too. I'd hate for them to get hurt in the final three meaningless games and all of them could benefit from going into the off-season healthy.

If any of them were still wearing a brace on their knee for off-season surgery on a twice torn ligament, I would agree. I can see the point of doing so for Reed, as he has a concussion that has stuck with him a bit, and Doughty as well for having two this season.

The others don't have the history to require that sort of intercession though.

I would actually be fine with that :)

And obviously, if we are putting a QB behind this line and putting him at risk for injury, first priority has to be Griffin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.