• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Computer Help

SC_RedskinsFan

The Starter
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
I am getting all kinds of ads popping up on my laptop, and even on text of webpages it is ads. I don't know how to stop this. I use google chrome as my browser. I have pop ups blocked there but it is still doing it. Also I ran a scan of my computer, but I think I need a new anti virus software, any suggestions? I have Kaspersky now, it is what came with my computer when I bought it.

Thanks in advance!

Have you downloaded any freeware recently? I ask, because I got a new computer and installed some freeware programs I had used for years, and suddenly foound out the pain in the ass way that some company called conduit had bundled a browser helper onto ccleaner, and completely ruined my day. I am also running Chrome, but after unsuccessfully running super anto spyware, malware bytes and hijack this to attempt to solve the problem (none even recognized it which shocked me) I came across a page that explained perfectly how to get rid of it, and my problem was solved. Here's that page.

Remove Conduit Toolbar and search.conduit.com (Uninstall Guide)

Like I said, the programs I mentioned above scanned a clean system while this malware was clearly screwing things up. The AdwCleaner program this guy mentions cleared it up immediately, but you have to follow the steps.

this happens in chrome when a malware extension is installed.

open a new tab, in the address bar at the top type in:
chrome://extensions/
the whole line. just copy paste it.

it'll load a settings screen that will show all your extensions (plug-ins essnetially)

Click the little trash can item next to the ones you don't recognize.

Close chrome and restart it.

You normally get these by clicking ok on something that installs them. It's an accident. You don't have to go to a 'shady' site to get them, if the site has ads (like google ads) a 'bad' ad can do it. Just be careful what you click OK/Yes/I agree to in the future.

Alternatively, uninstall chrome and use a different browser. Lots of people like firefox. I use Chrome myself (which is terrible considering my privacy concerns, but I've all but given up on that ideal)

I loved firefox and thought I'd never change, but about 6 months ago they did an update that made it go to shit. None of the extensions I liked worked anymore, it was super slow, and it started crashing constantly like it thought it was IE, so I switched to Chrome. A lot faster, I can set it up the way I want, and nothing wrong as far as I can see so far. What shocks me the most is that there are still millions of IE users. That is seriously baffling to me, it has zero upside.

I have add block plus (ABP) installed, and have NEVER seen an ad since the day I installed it. It is one of the first things I install on ANY computer I am asked to repair. Actually, it's the second thing I install after Firefox!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.