• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Blue Print

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Pretty much what we all have been saying to a degree, but it is a slow day.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-look-at-the-atlanta-falcons-2008-blueprint

Snyder and the Redskins Need To Copy the Atlanta Falcons 2008 Blueprint by Charles Poore Jr.
Charles Poore Jr.Contributor
1 articles written
0 comments written
1 fans
View Profile
Send a Message

Contributor Written on October 31, 2009
Mitchell Layton/Getty Images Vote Now! - Author Poll
Do you think the Redskins should change their team the way the Falcons did?

Yes No vote to see results When the Washington Redskins face the Atlanta Falcons next week, they need to take a look at the Falcons blueprint from 2008 on how to turn this franchise around.

Lets first look back at the 2007 Atlanta Falcons. Bobby Petrino in 2007 came in to be the head coach. He had never been a head coach in the NFL before. He did have experience as a QB coach and offensive coordinator with the Jacksonvile Jaguars. Petrino also had coaching experience in college as a head coach. He had never coached as the main man for an NFL team and would soon realize how hard it can be for a first time head coach.

CLICK LINK FOR ENTIRE ARTICLE

The team traded overrated and loud mouth cornerback DeAngelo Hall to the Oakland Raiders for a 2008 2nd round and 2009 5th round draft picks.

It's like a double-whammy.

Right now, Hall is the least of this team's problems.

Oh I agree. Though I think it's safe to say he's still overrated and overpaid. I doubt his mention was just a coincidence.

Oh I agree. Though I think it's safe to say he's still overrated and overpaid. I doubt his mention was just a coincidence.

Totally agree. He's not the only one and I think the Skins have a dozen or so players that are currently on the roster and are overpaid.

And I guess if you replace DeAngelo hall and put in Brandon Lloyd or Jason Taylor, you've got the same analogy.

You knew this team was in trouble when Cerrato on the radio said the Jason Taylor trade was a 'no brainer' that he would do again if a pro bowler became available.

No mention by Vinny of the AGE of the player or the fact that at 6'5 and 244 Taylor did not fit the DE position in the Redskins 4-3 scheme.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

After looking around Bleacherreport it appears that the article may have been pulled down. I can't find it either.

No idea who the author is ... but here's the piece as posted on another site. Bleacher Report is a fan site ... figure this one is too.

http://www.nflsportchannel.com/author/charles-poore-jr/

When the Washington Redskins face the Atlanta Falcons next week, they need to take a look at the Falcons blueprint from 2008 on how to turn this franchise around.

Lets first look back at the 2007 Atlanta Falcons. Bobby Petrino in 2007 came in to be the head coach. He had never been a head coach in the NFL before. He did have experience as a QB coach and offensive coordinator with the Jacksonvile Jaguars. Petrino also had coaching experience in college as a head coach. He had never coached as the main man for an NFL team and would soon realize how hard it can be for a first time head coach.

Petrino had been working with star quarterback Michael Vick to get ready for the 2007 season. Vick had a lot of talent, but never was a guy who could carry a team on his back with his arm. Then all of a sudden, dog fighting allegations doomed the Falcons before the season had even started. In August of 2007, Vick was suspended indefinitely without pay after pleading guilty to federal charges in connection with a dog fighting ring.

As the season started, the Falcons felt the loss of Michael Vick and it hurt the locker room. Players were upset with the teams poor play, players called out their head coach, and fans were upset that a team with that much talent had fallen so far back with the loss of Vick. Petrino as the season went on loss his team. On December 11, 2007, Petrino resigned as coach of the Atlanta Falcons with a 3-10 record. The same day he took over as head coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks. The Falcons finished 4-12 and had a team with players that didnt believe in the team or were overrated and didnt have the talent to take the team forward.

Fast forward to 2008. Team owner Arthur Blank knew this team needed changes. He hired Thomas Dimitroff to be his general manager. The team brought in Jacksonville defensive coordinator Mike Smith to be the head coach. The team traded overrated and loud mouth cornerback DeAngelo Hall to the Oakland Raiders for a 2008 2nd round and 2009 5th round draft picks. They released a lot of players to rebuild their team. They signed break out runner Michael Turner to step in and be their starting running back.

The Falcons in the 2008 NFL Draft drafted franchise quarterback Matt Ryan with the third overall pick. They also traded up and drafted offensive tackle Sam Baker with the 21st overall pick. They also drafted players like lineback Curtis Lofton, wide receiver Harry Douglas, and safety Thomas DeCoud among others. The Falcons in one offseason had rebuild their image. In 2008, the Falcons went 11-5 and lost in the Wild Card round of the playoffs to the eventual NFC Champion Arizona Cardinals.

Now, as the Washington Redskins head into week nine, after this week’s bye, they go into Atlanta to play a Falcon team that was once much like this year’s Redskins. A head coach that was overmatched and out of his league. The players were either overpaid, overrated, or just not good. They had no stable quarterback situation. The fans were so upset that they started to question if the team would ever be a contender again. Does this sound alot like a team that plays in the nation’s capital?

The Redskins have a great opportunity this offseason to follow the Atlanta Falcon playbook and have a shot to contend in 2010. Dan Snyder just needs to follow what the Falcons did. He needs to fire Vinny Cerrato and Jim Zorn. Then bring in a GM that can bring in players through the draft and free agency that fit what this team wants to do. The GM also needs to start to fix the cap with players who are not overrated or overpaid.

Snyder also needs to hire a head coach that can light a fire in the Redskins. The perfect coach for this team is Bill Cowher. If the Skins cant lure Cowher to DC they need to hire a coach like him. He doesnt need to be a big name guy. Just a coach that can let his coaches and players do their job and make sure the team plays hard on every snap no matter what the score is. The coach also needs to fix the constant problem of players like Brian Orakpo being played out of position. The Washington Redskins need the most out of every player on their roster.

In the draft, the Redskins need to look to upgrade the offense. The defense has the talent, but they just need a defensive coordinator that can get the most out of the unit. If the Washington Redskins can get a franchise QB and a offensive lineman or two in this year’s draft, they can contend sooner then most think. A guy like Sam Bradford or Jake Locker comes to mind. Both qb’s have the talent to become a franchise quarterback in my opinion. I’d go a step further and upgrade the offensive line more than the Falcons did.

The Skins should trade a draft pick from the 2011 draft to get another high draft pick in 2010, like an offensive lineman. If the Skins use their second round pick this year and a added pick acquired through a trade on the offensive line, they can get some much needed youth. I mean the type of youth that has potenial and not the type of youth that has practice squad and camp fodder talent starting along the offensive line.

If the Washington Redskins can follow the blueprint laid out by the Atlanta Falcons, they will take the first step in moving this franchise back to becoming a team that can actually make some noise in the playoffs.

As to the thesis itself ... the author pretty much glossed over the main reason the Falcons have become legit. Atlanta went from dead to contender overnight because they drafted a guy who looks like Franchise QB. Matt Ryan has to do it for a couple more years before he can have that label permanently inscribed over his locker, but as of right now he's the reason just another decent roster suddenly looks like the real deal.

If the Skins land a Franchise QB in next year's draft----as much luck as skill because for every Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Joe Flacco there are a hundred Andrew Ware, Heath Shuler and Ryan Leaf's---it's entirely possible some other fan of some other team will be writing a piece about the Redskins turnaround and making the case his favorite team needs to follow our model.

Oversimplified, yes ... but true. Without a real QB, the rest is just pissing in the wind.

Last edited:
You knew this team was in trouble when Cerrato on the radio said the Jason Taylor trade was a 'no brainer' that he would do again if a pro bowler became available.

No mention by Vinny of the AGE of the player or the fact that at 6'5 and 244 Taylor did not fit the DE position in the Redskins 4-3 scheme.

Really? Really? I guess the only response to that is....

No thought is ever given if the player is old or doesn't fit the system. Vinny sees "Pro Bowl" and hey....we gotta have them.

Same reason Orakpo and Landry are being played out of position.

And then people get on Landry for not making enough plays.

Blache is hurting these players development to try and cover up some immediate holes.

At 2-5 and heading nowhere fast the team needs to change the focus and look to the future.

Firing Zorn is not the answer during the season but hiring a real GM to evaluate this roster over the last 9 games is something that would be productive.

Probably need to change the starting defensive lineup to something like a line of Orakpo at RDE, Haynesworth, Golston, and Jarmon at LDE - linebacker lineup of McIntosh, Fletcher and Wilson (he has impressed me every time he plays) - and a backfield of Rogers, Hall, Landry at SS and Horton at FS.

Tough to take guys that are performing off the field like Carter and Doughty but they are probably not the best we have their respective postions and should be backing up Orakpo and Landry.

On offense there isn't much change we can make, I don't think other than at the receiver positions where I would probably start playing both Thomas and Kelly more while using Moss in the slot. Davis is going to get his time now with Cooley out for at least 4 weeks and maybe longer.

On offense there isn't much change we can make, I don't think other than at the receiver positions where I would probably start playing both Thomas and Kelly more while using Moss in the slot. Davis is going to get his time now with Cooley out for at least 4 weeks and maybe longer.

I disagree with this.

I'd like to see what Marko Mitchell can bring to the table.

While I don't think that Kelly and Thomas' lack of effectiveness is entirely their faults, I would like to see if putting Mitchell in some packages might let us see what he can do.

He looked great in the preseason.

No idea who the author is ... but here's the piece as posted on another site. Bleacher Report is a fan site ... figure this one is too.

As to the thesis itself ... the author pretty much glossed over the main reason the Falcons have become legit. Atlanta went from dead to contender overnight because they drafted a guy who looks like Franchise QB. Matt Ryan has to do it for a couple more years before he can have that label permanently inscribed over his locker, but as of right now he's the reason just another decent roster suddenly looks like the real deal.

If the Skins land a Franchise QB in next year's draft----as much luck as skill because for every Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Joe Flacco there are a hundred Andrew Ware, Heath Shuler and Ryan Leaf's---it's entirely possible some other fan of some other team will be writing a piece about the Redskins turnaround and making the case his favorite team needs to follow our model.

Oversimplified, yes ... but true. Without a real QB, the rest is just pissing in the wind.

While I agree that a franchise QB can make any coach, GM, and/or owner look like a genius, most teams don't have them. And it behooves a front office to put together a decent foundation for that day when it's lottery number comes up. I dont think anyone outside of maybe three people in the DC area thinks the Redskins have put together anything close to a solid foundation. A franchise QB should be the difference between 8 wins and 12 wins, and we aren't getting 8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.