• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Darrell Green: I don’t think [Griffin] really IS the leader.

tshile

Darrell Green questions the state of the Redskins

The Eagles game on Sunday feels like an unspeakably weighty pivot for the Redskins debate. Win, and there’s lots of looking at the upcoming schedule and talking about possibilities. Lose, and it’s all State of the Franchise stuff again.
Darrell Green got a jump on that latter debate this week, during an appearance on Showtime’s “Inside the NFL.”

“What’s the state of affairs in Washington?” James Brown asked Green during a roundtable discussion with Phil Simms and Cris Collinsworth.

“It’s not very good,” the Hall of Famer said. “It’s not very good….I think that it’s been rough, but it looks like the kid — and I’m talking about RGIII — it looks like he’s starting to get it back. But I just feel so bad that you would have a system where it’s all predicated on this guy running. He’s the second rusher on the team. It doesn’t work, in my opinion.”

“Who’s the leader of that team?” Brown later asked Green. “Not the face of the team; who’s the leader?”

“I think that’s the problem,” Green answered. “I think it’s SUPER important to have leadership, and I don’t think he really IS the leader.”

“Who do you think is the leader?” Green was asked.

“I don’t know if they have a leader,” Green replied, while everyone else shouted about London Fletcher. “Well, London Fletcher is, but I’ve been that old player before,” Green continued. “And you’re a moral leader, people love you and respect you, but you’re really not the leader. You’re not. And really, you shouldn’t be. Because in my opinion, the leadership should come from the offensive side of the ball, because the game is such an offensive-based game.”

Green said he didn’t think anyone on the team resents Griffin, but seemed wary when talking about his celebrity.
“I’ve always heard this old saying, rich and famous. Throw the rich out,” Green said. “Before the kid ever took one snap, he was more famous than anything you could think of. And at 23, 24 years old, 21, whatever, I think that’s a lot of pressure. And so you go back and you look at everything he did last year, that was great. But then the injury comes on; that’s a lot of pressure on this kid….

“I played 11 years for Joe Gibbs, Super Bowl championships. I played nine years for a bunch of other coaches. That nine, plus the 11 I’ve been out: It’s been 20 years of losing. So I understand the pressure, and this kid came in as sort of the savior. And what people would expect is that what you did last year, come back and do it again, let’s just do it again.”

The counterpoint was provided by Collinsworth of all people, who seemed far more bullish about the future than the former Redskin.

“I think if they stay the course here, this is going to work, and work in a big way in Washington,” the NBC Sunday Night Football analyst said.

“Stay the course meaning?” Brown asked.

“Don’t fire the coach,” Collinsworth said. “I mean, they’re going to try to fire the coach at the end of the year. It’s crazy. You just take what the system is. It’s perfectly built for him. Let them develop him as a pocket passer; next season, they’re going to be the favorite to win the division….

“Robert Griffin is an unbelievable leader,” Collinsworth later said. “Teams are built now around first-, second- and third-year players. They’re the great majority of the players on the team. And Robert Griffin is the guy that’s gonna take them where they want to go if they just leave the whole thing alone. Next year, you’ll go, oh my gosh, we almost blew it up, it would have been the dumbest thing ever.”

DG... do us all a favor and stay off the mic as well as the field.

Nick

I hate when my personal business gets leaked out to the public. If I want someone to know, I'll tell them. I know Green is a good dude and not a gossiping type per say, but this is not where he should be talking. Its not going to help us at all whether he is right or wrong.

Agreed... but then again, does he really have an TRUE credible accounts, or is this just his opinion? I didn't see the interview so I cant speak to his tonality or the feel of the interview. He might have a relationship with some of the guys in the locker room, but I don't know where he's getting these feelings from. Not trying to discredit him, I would just be curious if this is his thought, or if he's actually seen actions to bring up these thoughts.

I didn't realize that Darrell Green is in the locker room, on the practice field, and on the sidelines and in the huddle during games. So he should know.

Wait. He's not?

:thud:

Don't put to much stock into anything Green has to say. As a player he was top notch and a integral part of our Super Bowl wins, off the field he's not such a nice guy. Has no time for anyone that can't do something for him. As great a skin as he was I don't have much use for him off the field. Egotistical and greedy.

"Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan"

As much as I loved 28 as a player his opinion on this subject is worth the same mine, Zilch. How often is he even around this team anyway? Every team near the bottom of the league could be accused of a lack of leadership. So RGIII and Fletcher were fine leaders last year but not this year? Sounds like a sports talk radio crap to me.

Leadership IS important, but so is talent. If leadership can cover punts then sign him up. Otherwise.....

Love Darrell. Seriously. His is the only jersey I have owned as an adult and only second I have owned in my life (had a Theismann jersey as a kid that I wore out). Loved to watch him play.

I don't need to hear him speak now. I think former player should be like former Presidents, quiet and off the stage, excepting those that make a living out of it as a talking head and I think most of those need to shut up too.

"Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan"

As much as I loved 28 as a player his opinion on this subject is worth the same mine, Zilch. How often is he even around this team anyway? Every team near the bottom of the league could be accused of a lack of leadership. So RGIII and Fletcher were fine leaders last year but not this year? Sounds like a sports talk radio crap to me.

Leadership IS important, but so is talent. If leadership can cover punts then sign him up. Otherwise.....

I was honestly surprised he was at the Homecoming game

I loved Darrell Green as a Redskins player. Since he has left I've heard about a different side. Numerous reports say he ignores fans (unless a camera is near) and seems to have I am better than you attitude. I've lost some respect for Green. He should have followed and watched guys like Monk and Coleman about how to handle yourself.

l wonder if his comments weren't more sour grapes for the Redskins not drafting or signing his son. Darrell isn't winning any friends with comments like this.

Eh. Darrell is entitled to his opinion. I'm not gonna hate on the guy because he has one.

I sure hope he's wrong, but I don't know. We'll find out soon enough.

I don't think Green is a 'good dude' and never have. He was a great Redskin - but that's not the same thing. I've heard too many stories of how he acts, particularly towards fans, when the cameras aren't on to believe that. His comments about leadership and fame sounded a little tinged with jealousy to me.

Darrell, do us all a favor and shutup, you're a d*** off the field, don't remind us

I find it interesting the responses are all pretty much unanimous. They're not just about supporting Griffin either, they're unanimous in other ways.

This kind of stuff irritates me because I'm sure Griffin will see it - what is he supposed to think having a Redskins hall of fame player come out and say this about him? A guy he's probably never actually talked to... Griffin's smart so hopefully it doesn't bother him, but it shouldn't even be an issue he has to deal with.

This one is tough for me because if any of you know my story I have Darrell green the player as the reason I met my late husband. His number 28 means a lot as my husband's birthday and mine are both the 28th, we started our honeymoon on the 28 th, he proposed on the 28th and unfortunately I buried him on the 28th. Mi do have his jersey. So I have more emotional connections that are not really football related.

That being said I'm aware of his treatment of fans and it does bother me. I try not to dwell on that because of the other stuff but I'm not blind to it. However, I do agree that he should not have voiced that opinion as he is not in the locker room. However, not long ago in a different post I voiced a similar opinion not because of any dislike towards griffin but because of chemistry being lacking due to griffin not being around in the off season due to his rehab. I believe that chemistry is re establishing itself but I don't know if its in time to salvage this season. But that is why they play the games.

HTTR

I loved Darrell Green as a Redskins player. Since he has left I've heard about a different side. Numerous reports say he ignores fans (unless a camera is near) and seems to have I am better than you attitude. I've lost some respect for Green. He should have followed and watched guys like Monk and Coleman about how to handle yourself.

l wonder if his comments weren't more sour grapes for the Redskins not drafting or signing his son. Darrell isn't winning any friends with comments like this.

Darrell Green was like that even when he was a player. The guy is a total asshat. Don't buy the "good guy" routine because 2/3 of every fan run-in with him (based on stories I've read here and elsewhere) is negative. My sister had a negative run-in with him about 20 years ago at the Home Depot in Sterling. I'll ask her the details again.

Nick

Green admits he's not familiar with Redskins' current locker room | Comcast SportsNet Washington

Green admits he's not familiar with Redskins' current locker room

“This guy knows a lot about football. He knows a lot about being in a locker room,” said Hellie on NFL Total Access on Friday. “This particular situation, as he told me on the phone, 'I really don’t know a lot about it. I’ll be honest with you’. He said, 'Dan, I know diddly-squat about this. I’m giving my opinion based on the fact that I spent 20 years in the NFL locker room and I think that it’s hard for a young guy to be a leader.’ And that’s what he was trying to say.”

(Hellie seemed to be paraphrasing what Green said so one should not take these as direct quotes from Green.)

ha! sounds like you all are describing David Simms! Does he beat little kids when he hands over the bucks from his charity?

I agree with stay the course.

I also think someone with 20+ years experience in the lockerroom and the NFL has a credible voice. agree/disagree that is everyone's privilege.

I look forward to the next post from those on this board who aren't in the lockerroom recommending the swift departure of Hazlett.

come to think of it...I recall a post I made maybe a month ago speculating on leadership on this team. maybe there's something to it!

I'll just say this. I wish I had never met Darrell. That way I could just remember all the amazing highlights, and how nice he seems on TV.

Great player. Complete jerk.

ha! sounds like you all are describing David Simms! Does he beat little kids when he hands over the bucks from his charity?

I agree with stay the course. I also think someone with 20+ years experience about the locker room and the NFL has a credible voice. agree/disagree that is everyone's privilege.

I look forward to the next post from those on this board who aren't in the locker room recommending the swift departure of Hazlett.

come to think of it...I recall a post OI made maybe a month ago speculating on leadership on this team. maybe there's something to it!

Darrell Green isn't IN this locker room Al. He is just *interpreting*. His pronouncements and opinions have no more validity or likelihood of being correct than those of the average fan.

I think questioning the 'leadership' of this team, whether it's in the lockerroom or elsewhere, is pretty questionable given what the coaching staff and players accomplished last season in a situation where 999/1000 times a team would've packed it in. That's a fact. The rest of the bull**** being tossed around these days (by DG and others) is just spouting off.

That's not to say there aren't problems. But I don't see any evidence that a lack of leadership is one of them, particularly not with Griffin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.