• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WTEM: Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro In Re Support for Zorn

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
today, during the mid-day drive show, the question was asked of Loverro about whether the players really have Zorn's back as has been quoted in the papers and on television.

his response, one that I was suspecting myself to some degree, was that the support Zorn is receiving is conditional and self-interested.

according to most reports, practices are not kept long or made difficult. Players often skip practice with mild ailments and then start on Sunday.

in other words, the players have it easy under Zorn's regime and are loathe to criticize him or his methods for fear that Zorn's release and the entrance of a more disciplinarian coach as an interim hire (see the Nationals and Riggelman here) would result in curtailed privileges and a semi-return to the Gibbs policy of having to practice on Thursday to play on Sunday, etc.

I'll buy that for a dollar. After all, most of them have to know they're out of here after this season. Those that might not be gone, certainly seem to be trying to be traded or released by openly blaming the F.O. Therefore, it's not unreasonable to think that they just want to keep things easy, avoid any extra risk of injury in practice, play out the string and head home.

Tough coaches might not put up with Vinny and The Dan...at least not for long.

Marty was tough. Look where it got him.

Exactly. Remember all the fuss from Bruce Smith about the Oklahoma Drill. Looking back it's clear to me what Marty was trying to do was weed out the dead weight. The drill itself held no special meaning for Marty except as a tool to see who was with him. He found out.

Those guys ran right to the press and to the owner to complain. In the end they got their way. It's the same thing Portis does now.

if 2010 is an uncapped year the club needs to clean house. Portis will be 29 at the start of next season and nobody realistically believes that his best years are in front of him.

He is a top 5 back in pay, but my guess is he is now good for 1,000 yards and a 3.7 yard per carry average.

in other words, he is now an average back.

I don't know BD, I think CP has one or two years left in him IF we get a nice change of pace back. If we were in the playoffs I would still feel comfortable with him in the lineup competing against just about anyone. I still think he can have an impact on the game-the question in my mind is wether or not he can be the same CP that carried this team for the last five years? Outside of MB we've had little help at QB, and outside of Moss, who is inconsistent and can be taken out of a game fairly easily, we have gotten little production from the WR's.

For comparison sake, what YPC do you think AP would be sportin' runnin behind this O-Line? Maybe a little over four, but I doubt he's sniffing 5 YPC.......

I also think we owe him a little more for what he's done for the organization....

Great to see you over here WB.

While I agree that CP might have 1 or 2 more productive seasons in the right situation as you mentioned I don't think we can count on him being a feature back for 16 games, nor should we. Age and health catch up to any back and Portis is starting to show those signs. He also makes a hell of alot of money to not be an every down back.

We have to look at the realities of this team. We aren't a playoff team, and with all of the holes on the O-line and the questions at QB and WR we aren't likely to be a playoff team next year either unless there are major changes. You don't start the rebuild with a aging RB, and that's where we are.

I think the idea that Portis is owed some kind of special treatment is part of the problem. He clearly thinks so. Running your mouth does not equal leadership though. He doesn't like to practice or playing in the pre-season so it takes him 2 or 3 games to get used to game speed every year. He's the owner's guy so he gets away with it. That was made very clear to Zorn when he took the job. Don't get me wrong I appreciate his hard work and effort in past years but I feel he's been treated and paid very well for it.

The sign of a winning team is when the players that CAN get away with not attending all the workouts or practicing regularly, in fact do so as an example for the the others.

You look around the league and the key players on the Colts, Pats, Steelers, Eagles, Giants, etc. are guys that come to camp in shape and prepared to play well from the opening kickoff of the first game.

Neither Portis nor Haynesworth came to camp in great shape and both players have had nagging injury problems.

Is it just a coincidence?

Last year Portis was paid an incentive to stay in DC and attend the workouts and he lead the league in rushing for the first 7-8 games.

This year he is 10 pounds heavier and looks a lot slower and less explosive.

These guys are not leaders, they are coach-killers.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Appreciate the welcome, nice man cave so far.......

I'll admit, Im a bit of a CP apologist. The guy really has layed it on the line for us each and every week since he arrived. I can't think of any other Redskin player that played as consistent as CP has been in quite sometime. Ill acknowledge his antics, but I give him a pass on most.....

I don't give him a pass on being in shape and ready to play ball when he showed up over the summer. That has lead to a sluggish start for him that began before Samuels and Cooley and the others got hurt.

Again, if Portis is the face of the club and its default leader, the Redskins are not going anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.