• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Win No. 3: Likes and Dislikes

That pass play with 3rd and 4@ 2:20 left in the game was a crap call. Run the ball there to get down to the 2 min warning instead the bolts got like 2-3 extra plays. Silly.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

The decision to pass was perfectly fine and I believe the right decision. The actual play call can be debated. But the Chargers had timeouts. If the Redskins run just to run clock, the Chargers call timeout and no more time comes off the clock. You could say that you make the Chargers use the timeout, but they had two timeouts with first and goal at the 1. So instead they have 1 timeout in that situation. In reality, passing instead of running changes nothing about the game.

I think in that situation, you run whatever play you think will get you the first down. If it's a pass, you run the pass. If you think the run will get you the first down, you run. You gain nothing by just running it into the line to burn clock. Not unless the Chargers have no timeouts left. Everyone gets caught in the mode of just running clock instead of trying to win the game. Haslett did that on defense and it almost cost the game. When you have the ball late, you do whatever you can to keep the ball and not give it to the other team.

The decision to pass was perfectly fine and I believe the right decision. The actual play call can be debated. But the Chargers had timeouts. If the Redskins run just to run clock, the Chargers call timeout and no more time comes off the clock. You could say that you make the Chargers use the timeout, but they had two timeouts with first and goal at the 1. So instead they have 1 timeout in that situation. In reality, passing instead of running changes nothing about the game.

I think in that situation, you run whatever play you think will get you the first down. If it's a pass, you run the pass. If you think the run will get you the first down, you run. You gain nothing by just running it into the line to burn clock. Not unless the Chargers have no timeouts left. Everyone gets caught in the mode of just running clock instead of trying to win the game. Haslett did that on defense and it almost cost the game. When you have the ball late, you do whatever you can to keep the ball and not give it to the other team.

Who said run it into the line???? You misunderstood me. You run for the first down and if you fail the clock runs or they burn a timeout. Either way you accomplish something positive if you fail your primary objective which of course is to move the chains.

another oh yea: the pitches to Reed and Santana were an interesting wrinkle. high risk plays.

Man that second toss out to Moss where the defender had stumbled a bit was RISSSSSSSSKEEEEEEEEEEE. So glad he held onto it!

I was in the chat through the first half of this game. I knew we would pull it together by the time I got home. HTTR

I was in chat too and most of us were resigned to the fact that we were about to lose at the end of regulation. There was funeral music in the background. Seriously, those who were remaining can confirm the music thing. ;)

My nerves have finally calmed down over the last hour or so. Why do they do this to us?

I'm interested in hearing the perspective of those watching on TV, it seemed to me that Griff was still locking onto his receivers a little too much for my tastes. Aside from the horrendous ST play, that was really my only complaint. We should have had that game well in hand, but our ST miscues killed us.

I thought Griff had an ok game. Statistically it wasn't bad (the "Pick-6" was a fluke play you won't see again in your lifetime), but it just felt... meh. Garcon made some circus catches, the same kinds he made last year. ST play was the reason it was such a close game when we should have had that game in-hand.

Nick

defense is playing better but it is still a weak spot overall. I know my mindset remains "well....third and 10 (or more)...they'll get a first down anyway." happens way too often. goal line notwithstanding....this defense still gets pushed around too much. when it matters...crucial missed tackles, our coverage never seems tight, the QB always has time, a long run...etc...etc

as for Griff...much better game than last week. I still think he isn't going to last getting pounded the way he is. he holds onto the ball too long and he does take a beating when he runs. on one of those pitches he was totally nailed landing on his throwing shoulder. the flip was another obvious high injury potential play.

Pierre Garcon did the kinds of things yesterday he used to do for the Colts that made me so tickled when we picked him up.

Morris?...well, he was just his normal self...bless him :)

I'll bet Darrel Young's fantasy stock has taken a spike upward. Kudos to Mike and Kyle for using him on those short yardage TDs. Might be less effective against a team with a strong goal line stand D. Worth another try though.

I think what our D did against Rivers is being underestimated a little. Sure, there were "How did we not bring him down there?" moments but sacks, while emotionally invigorating "highlight reel" moments, aren't the whole story. Pressure-even just getting in his peripheral vision or keeping him aware of close pursuit-gets into a QBs head and disrupts his flow. I saw that in some of his throws being of the "huh?" variety.

I finally saw, as has been referenced before, something I've been looking for-a "This game ain't over yet" determination that carried into the OT. They didn't, to me at least, give any sense of giving up or resigning themselves to an inevitable loss. I liked that.

London Fletcher is done. Great player until 2 years ago but he shouldn't even be starting at this point.
I wonder if we should target a top-tier ILB in the draft or simply try and get one via FA. We need speedy, athletic ILBs in this defense.

I still believe we need an elite 3-4 DL (NT preferred).

My friend Kenny and I were talking all-game how Fletch was just done, God bless him. Done. Same point, we don't have a true NT if we continue with a 3-4.

Nick

I'll bet Darrel Young's fantasy stock has taken a spike upward. Kudos to Mike and Kyle for using him on those short yardage TDs. Might be less effective against a team with a strong goal line stand D.
I honestly don't think any team out there can stop young in a goal line situation. He's as big and powerful as Mix is tall. His thighs are like tree trunks, and he keeps them churning. It's impossible to stop a guy like that when he gets a head start and you're essentially standing there waiting for him to run you over.

He would be worthless for more than 5-10 yards on a run, but 99% of the time, that's all you would need him for. He's a big dude with a lot of power, and he is near impossible to take down. Combine that with the fact he's speeding like a freight train when the ball is placed in his gut, and he should be our go to on all goal line plays and all short yardage situations for the rest of the season. If we had 1st and goal inside the 5, I would give him the ball 4 straight downs if we had to. There's no way he isn't getting in with 4 shots at it. You can't tackle a train, I don't care how many people you put on him.

I honestly don't think any team out there can stop young in a goal line situation. He's as big and powerful as Mix is tall. His thighs are like tree trunks, and he keeps them churning. It's impossible to stop a guy like that when he gets a head start and you're essentially standing there waiting for him to run you over.

He would be worthless for more than 5-10 yards on a run, but 99% of the time, that's all you would need him for. He's a big dude with a lot of power, and he is near impossible to take down. Combine that with the fact he's speeding like a freight train when the ball is placed in his gut, and he should be our go to on all goal line plays and all short yardage situations for the rest of the season. If we had 1st and goal inside the 5, I would give him the ball 4 straight downs if we had to. There's no way he isn't getting in with 4 shots at it. You can't tackle a train, I don't care how many people you put on him.

I love all the love for DY. He was a great young find for us when Sellers was on his last leg and people like NEMO brought us nothing but disappointment. So glad we have finally given it to the upback a few times. He's great and no one saw that play coming because of Kyle's lack of calling it. Now that we've used it with success the edge can and will open back up again because of it and it gives us that spark during short yardage plays that has been sorely missed.

He's got great hands and he's tough as nails. I hope we can use him a little more like we did yesterday... Love to see this kid get some of the glory - I think he's very under rated!

Shanahan needs to give up on this wet dream he had that his next team HAD to run a 3-4 defense to be successful.

A switch to the 4-3 in 2014 given our current personnel with some upgrades in FA would be the quickest way to get this unit back to being a strong unit.

Does anyone have a good video of the overturned TD? I saw replays several times and never thought Woodhead got in. Some in the media think the call shouldn't have been reversed.

Does anyone have a good video of the overturned TD? I saw replays several times and never thought Woodhead got in. Some in the media think the call shouldn't have been reversed.

Then they are blind...that's one call they got right yesterday. It was clearly Woodhead's leg that hit the pylon after the ball was clearly out of bounds...

The ball clearly goes out of bounds before getting to the pilon, his leg swung through and kicked the pilon after that happened. There is no way in hell that should be a TD.

Asshat Peter King called it a "dubious" reversal, which means he either didn't watch the play or is still just a total douche bag as usual towards the Redskins

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.