• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 11/01

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
November 1, 2013
Redskins Park

Executive Vice President/Head Coach Mike Shanahan

On the injury report:
“We’ve got [safety Jose] Gumbs listed as questionable. Everybody that we talked about yesterday is probable.”

On wide receiver Pierre Garçon:
“He’s full speed, been practicing.”

On safety Reed Doughty:
“He’s had a good week. There’ve been no setbacks. He gets tested every day, so right now he’s listed as full-go. Unless something happens in the next 24 hours, which I don’t anticipate, he’ll be ready to play.”

On if keeping Doughty out of the game against Denver represents a shift in thinking around the league regarding head injuries:
“I can’t speak for everybody, but when you have the type of hit that he had, it would really have surprised me if he was able to play the next game. I mean, that was a vicious hit. You don’t see too many hits like that. When somebody’s going full speed and he has no idea that that guy’s coming for the ball and he’s going full speed the other direction, and you’re talking about a guy that’s running a 4.4 40 at 200 pounds, here he comes out just concentrating on that ball, just head to head. It was a vicious hit, so it didn’t really surprise me that he missed that game.”

On if defensive end Jarvis Jenkins and linebacker Rob Jackson have provided a lift for the team since their return:
“Yeah, it’s good to have them back and the more depth you have, the better off you are – keep guys fresh. So yeah, they have helped us.”

On how difficult it is to game plan for the Minnesota Vikings before the game against the San Diego Chargers has been played:
“Well it’s something you get used to over the years when you do have a short week. Sometimes it’s a Monday night game when you’re working during the day. Sometimes it’s hard to do. As a coordinator, I couldn’t do it in my early years. I did it later on. As a head coach, you do have some time where you look a little bit. You’re not calling the game like you did when you were a coordinator. So it’s a little bit different and it does take some getting used to. Some people can’t do it.”

On the strengths of San Diego’s defense:
“They play well as a team. Anytime a team can go 11 quarters without giving up a touchdown, they’re playing great as a unit. They give up some yards, but once they get into that red zone, they find a way to keep you out of the end zone. So it’s a defense that’s really played well together.”

On what he has learned in his career that helps him prepare during a short week:
“I think anytime you go through a normal week and you get your normal preparation like today, you put together – for an offensive coordinator – maybe your top 20 plays of the game, what you’re going to call. So you’re focused on that. You do that today. You put a film together for tomorrow’s meeting and you get ready for your meeting for tomorrow from today’s practice. So you don’t have a lot of time before the game. You may wake up early Sunday if it’s an early game and study a couple hours – two or three hours – just to get a little jump on things because you already got your game plan together; same thing on defense. So it’s a little bit tougher. Sometimes guys will do it if they have a night game. Sometimes they’ll do it here in the morning or do it a little bit later on Friday night. A lot of different ways people do it. When you have a Thursday game, it’s a little tougher because you’ve got a day and a half-plus preparation time.”

On if he is worried that safety Brandon Meriweather will be hesitant on the field in an effort to avoid illegal hits:
“Not really. I think sometimes people get a little carried away with that. We understand what the rules are and he’s been penalized for it. We’ve been penalized as a team as well. So he knows where the emphasis is and he wants to play football for a long time. When he does get that hit, he’s going to try to hit in the right area. Hopefully he does.”

On San Diego Chargers wide receiver/kick returner Eddie Royal:
“I really like Eddie Royal as a football player and as a person. He’s a quality young man, doesn’t live too far away from here. I thought we were going to have a chance to have him in free agency, just didn’t work out that way, but he’s a class individual… He’s an excellent slot guy, punt returner, kickoff returner. He can get open, does a lot of the things that [wide receiver] Santana [Moss] has done for us the last few years - quality guy.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.