• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins TE Fred Davis admits to sleeping in team meetings

tshile

Fred Davis gets points for honesty. The Redskins tight end admitted Wednesday that he's been known to get a little shut-eye during team meetings.
"I've never slept through a whole meeting, but I've nodded off,'' Davis said after practice, according to USAToday.com's Jim Corbett. "I mean everyone nods off. It's dark in there. You nod off. You wake up -- go get something to drink and go back. I've done that.''

Add it to the ever-growing list of reasons why the team wanted to trade him.

Turns out, the feeling was mutual. Davis was hoping for a fresh start too.

“I thought [a trade] might [be a] possibility,” he said, via the Washington Times. “But when I really thought about it, because next year I'll be a free agent anyway and for someone to give up a draft pick for a guy to be a free agent next year, I don't think that would make sense. ...

"It's frustrating not to be out there because I know there are plays I could make,'' Davis continued. "I just want to play. I like it here. I was drafted here. But at the same time, I want to play. If I can't play here, then, I'd rather play somewhere else.''

The Redskins selected Davis in the second round of the 2008 draft. That year the team used its two other second-round picks on wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly. Thomas lasted two and a half seasons in Washington (40 receptions, 445 yards, 3 TDs) and Kelly appeared in just 10 games over two seasons (28 receptions, 365 yards, 0 TDs).

Davis, meanwhile, was one of the league's best tight ends in 2011 (he ranked sixth, according to Football Outsiders), and was off to a strong start last season before he was sidelined with an Achilles injury. Now, with the emergence of rookie Jordan Reed, Davis has become an afterthought.

“I feel like I can block and catch the ball,” Davis said. “I am surprised that we're both not out there. But like I said, I think that's the way they want to go with it."

Wherever Davis ends up next season, he'll probably be well rested. So there's that.

Redskins TE Fred Davis admits to sleeping in team meetings - CBSSports.com

There were rumors coming out of Redskins Park about this being the reason he was in the dog house. I don't even know what to say. At least it wasn't a whole meeting?

I tell you what... I was afraid that if anyone was capable of throwing poop, its Davis. He's saying the right things, and APPEARING to be a team guy. That said, he's basically interviewing for the league, so I'm sure he's not going to try to attract negative attention... yet. I guess we will see what happens after the season, I'm still going to take this all with a grain of salt.

I've seen dead animals that exhibit more brain function than this idiot.

Eh, the Haynesworth stuff pisses me off way more than this. I'm sure a lot of guys sleep in meetings...I used to nod off in class all the time, and I've seen others and myself nod off in work meetings and training all the time. Not a big deal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Shoot, we having nothing going on at work right now and I can barely keep my eyes open ;)

Eh, the Haynesworth stuff pisses me off way more than this. I'm sure a lot of guys sleep in meetings...I used to nod off in class all the time, and I've seen others and myself nod off in work meetings and training all the time. Not a big deal.

I think it's the pattern moreso than this one incident.

Not to mention, when you missed 4 games because of a league mandated suspension... the last thing you need to do is not be involved in meetings.

Bingo!

Stupid is, as stupid does.

And Davis would have to achieve 8 years of advanced education, just get within arm's reach of stupid.

I'm just disappointed that Allen couldn't get a ham sammich for him prior to the trade deadline!

Shoot, we having nothing going on at work right now and I can barely keep my eyes open ;)

Same thing with the Redskins.

There must not be anything interesting going on at the teams' or coaches' meetings, as evidenced by the playcalling we've seen on the field.

So, can ya blame Freddy for dozing off ?

Last edited:
Well, I have at least a partial answer to my "Just what the hell is going on in that locker room?" question.

That's something...I guess.

Maybe it would have been considered too impolite or impertinent for somebody to lean over, maybe nudge him and say, "Uh, hey Fred, we got a team meeting going on here, man"...just in case deep inside he might give a quarter of a rat's a$$.

The more stories I'm hearing about that locker room, the more I'm reminded of my high school classes when a substitute teacher was in charge.

:puke:

Not a big deal? I've never worked anywhere where obviously sleeping during meetings wasn't going to get you 'counseled' or eventually fired. That unacceptable behavior in almost any professional setting...

Not a big deal? I've never worked anywhere where obviously sleeping during meetings wasn't going to get you 'counseled' or eventually fired. That unacceptable behavior in almost any professional setting...

You've obviously never sat through engineering meetings. :) Almost everyone I know has nodded off at least once.

EDIT: That's not to say if you did it all the time you wouldn't be fired, but that's what Fred has said, he "occasionally" nodded off. Not a big deal IMO.

You've obviously never sat through engineering meetings. :) Almost everyone I know has nodded off at least once.

EDIT: That's not to say if you did it all the time you wouldn't be fired, but that's what Fred has said, he "occasionally" nodded off. Not a big deal IMO.

Due to my continuous interaction with engineering when I was a quality technician I sat in on many of those, Lanky. They weren't so bad, unless management sat in too. Then it became hideously boring. Having the accounting group in was more fun due to all the loud screaming and wailing. :bigcry::redpunch::chug3: :)

Getting back to the topic at hand, the Redskins have had, IMO, a problem with loose or missing constraints in the relationship between the players, coaches, and FO for like a decade or more, periodically making its presence known-much to the consternation of we fans-and propagating itself into the realm of on-the-field play in the form of the team looking incoherent, uncertain, confused, even directionless.

I saw a decidedly unpleasant example of this against the Broncos, but to me at least, it's been there all season to varying degrees. Why do our WRs look so completely lost at times? Why does our OL seem to have lost the ability to protect Griffin. Yes, other team's coaches have made adjustments to cope with the system as we ran it last season with a healthy Griffin, but do we lack the ability to counter those adjustments? Is it , as Ryman suggested, that last season was a "smoke-and-mirrors" sham that is just being exposed thanks to Griffins loss of mobility? Frankly I have my doubts that it's quite that cut-and-dried myself.

I realize that what I'm talking about is but one piece of the puzzle, but the "Ah, don't sweat it" sense I'm inferring from tales of a look-the-other-way locker room atmosphere doesn't give me confidence in a team cohesion and singleness of purpose that I think is necessary to overcome the problems we're dealing with right now.

I'm not trying to sound like a "Debbie Downer" here, I'm just like every other Redskins fan, trying to figure out what the hell is wrong and, more importantly, how it can be fixed. I'm only presenting something that I think recent evidence indicates where part of the problem lies.

Last edited:
I just have to wonder why anybody who knows he's going to be shopping himself at years end would openly say something to make a team think twice about signing him. "Come On Man !" :) Fred has brought moronica to a new level.

I think Serv has a good point. Did Shanny loosen up a bit... a bit too much ? While I love his candor, Garcon needs to pipe down. We don't need the point, counter point between him and Moss in the press. It's more then once this season, and could be an indicator to a less then unified locker room.

the fact Shanahan made Davis inactive again today in a 'must have' game against SD where Logan Paulsen was clearly not 100% I think is fair evidence that Fred is not going to see the field again this season unless the team sustains major injuries at the position.

he is now in the Redskins depth chart viewed as a third tight end. To Shanahan third string TEs have to be special teams contributors and Fred doesn't play teams.

I remember John Lynch saying that a player getting out of Shanahan's doghouse was a very hard thing to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.