• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Does Anybody Here Know What This Weed Is?

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I should know from my landscaping experience, but I have never seen it until it popped up in my yard a few years ago. It was a small patch at first, but grew every year. It seems to appear in late August, and thrives and spreads until about December then dies. It now covers the majority of my backyard. None of my neighbors have it, nothing on line is a match (although some are close but not quite). I wouldn't care normally, because with a garden, dogs and kids, growing grass in my back yard is something I gave up on years ago. But it is a problem, because my wife and dogs both have pretty bad allergic reactions to it every time it makes an appearance with severe itching and hives.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

1377282_10202310924437241_639138753_n.jpg

The little buds go back and forth between purplish and pink, and never open into flowers. The leaves are smooth, no fibers or hairs, no jagged edges, there is no smell, and the stalks spread outward along the ground like Bermuda grass. At max height, they grow about 6 inches tall.

Looks a little like smartweed but it's tough to tell for sure. Some state cooperative extension services will ID plants online if you submit a photo...

Yeah, i was just taking the lazy route. The VB municipal center is about 5 miles from me, and Virginia tech has an extension there that will ID any bug, weed, etc. you bring in, I just don't feel like going. Guess I should though.

Virginia Smartweed. It's supposedly only supposed to grow in water. I guess the canal behind me is to blame. Now I wonder why it's only in my yard. Time to Monsanto that **** :D

Hey man, you know what it means to assume. I just watch a lot of Cops.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.