• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 10/28

You are.

http://www.bgobsession.com/sons-was...-have-summed-up-abandon-run-issue-better.html

http://www.bgobsession.com/sons-washington/54757-unpleasant-truth-3.html

http://www.bgobsession.com/sons-washington/59833-how-game-managed-has-me-steamed-3.html

http://www.bgobsession.com/sons-washington/38377-panthers-redskins-please-update.html

That's just the posts on the first page of this search: Let me google that for you

It's a running theme by you and quite a few others. Kyle's playcalling has certainly been flawed. But the criticism has been completely predictable at this point. Did the redskins lose? If Yes, then queue up a weeks worth of "Kyle abandoned the run" posts.

There's never any consideration given to anything other than whatever Morris' yard/carry average is and how many runs he had.

I'd quit stirring this pot if it wasn't such a blatantly shallow way to analyse a game that gets posted in every frekin thread the week after a loss.

I mean it's in almost every single thread...

Wow, a total of four games from the past two seasons. My memory must really be fading; I thought we lost a lot more games than that in the past 3 years!

Look, its a difference of philosophy. You can argue all you want until you are blue in the face, but you're not going to change my mind (or others' minds presumably) when you're arguing against basic common sense. So, keep on arguing if you want to, keep digging up old posts of mine, keep posting statistical analyses, do your own statistical analyses if you want - its not going to change my opinion on football and how to win football games. So really, its up to you if you want to waste your time. :)

Yes, they pointed out the number of carrie's Morris had since half or since, I watched the game too.

I've already laid it out. If you think playcalling is why people can't catch balls while wide open and why Griffin can't hit the broad side of a barn when it matters then so be it.

I think the play-calling has to take into account the fact that Griffin couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, yeah.

It's one thing to say they got away from the run. It's another blame every single loss on it. It's such a lazy excuse at this point it's laughable. The players aren't executing and blaming the coaching staff is absurd. They're put in positions to succeed and they drop balls, they throw awful passes, and they made bad decisions.

I assume at this point you are talking about a specific someone who's not me. I'm pretty sure I don't call for Morris to run the ball 30 times every game. In this one, the way the game was going, it would have been a good idea.

you cannot run the ball every frekin down. this isn't madden. it's the NFL. you have to be balanced and consistent. thinking you can run the ball for 1 1/2 quarters to maintain a 14 point lead against Payton Manning is a joke

And you cannot pass the ball every freaking down, which is what happened to the play-calling after the game became a 21-21 tie.

I assume at this point you are talking about a specific someone who's not me. I'm pretty sure I don't call for Morris to run the ball 30 times every game.

Yes and no :)

It's hard to keep track of the people that constantly use that argument as reasoning for why we lose a game when we lose, and people that use it once in a while. It was meant for the group of people that constantly use it (and it's not just here - it's everywhere. there's a whole group of people that are convinced there is a causality from # of runs to winning. they exist everywhere, even the so called analysts on tv that claim to know the game) not you specifically in this conversation. :)

And you cannot pass the ball every freaking down, which is what happened to the play-calling after the game became a 21-21 tie.

Yep. This is what people seem to be missing.

I think T brings up a fair point, that the answer is not always to run the ball more, that simplistic line of thinking is something I certainly have expressed and felt before.

However, in this particular instance, given the inability of our OLine to pass protect at all, AND the fact that Kyle was still play action late in the Fourth when we stopped running at all, I think more running would have been a good thing. As Lanky has pointed out, it would have shortened the game some, and maybe kept us in it. Certainly it would have helped reduce Robert's exposure to some of the brutal hits he took.

I think T brings up a fair point, that the answer is not always to run the ball more, that simplistic line of thinking is something I certainly have expressed and felt before.

And I agree with this. The answer is not always to run the ball more...sometimes passing is the better option, like when the read option is working really well and the middle of the field is open and you can run crossing routes & slants to your heart's content.

However, in this particular instance, given the inability of our OLine to pass protect at all, AND the fact that Kyle was still play action late in the Fourth when we stopped running at all, I think more running would have been a good thing. As Lanky has pointed out, it would have shortened the game some, and maybe kept us in it. Certainly it would have helped reduce Robert's exposure to some of the brutal hits he took.

Yup, in this game, right here, running the ball was the answer. Reminded me of the Steeler game last year; Morris was running well then as well, and our receivers could not catch a cold. Yet Kyle kept dialing up the passes; pass after pass after pass. It was ludicrous.

What Goal said. :)

I will also say that the play-action to Morgan on first down after Denver tied it up was a good call, and botching that play was an absolute dagger. We'd been setting that one up all game long and it was a perfect call. You have to make that play.

After that though, I started getting this impression that Kyle was on the sidelines going "Ok, this pass will work. Ok, THIS one will! THIS ONE THIS ONE THIS ONE!!!" until the game ended. That's where he lost me.

Water under the bridge now though. Hopefully we will put ourselves into a position to play to our strengths in the future.

I will also say that the play-action to Morgan on first down after Denver tied it up was a good call, and botching that play was an absolute dagger. We'd been setting that one up all game long and it was a perfect call. You have to make that play.

If that play had worked who believes Kyle goes back to running the ball? :rotflmao:

I do.

That's what good offensive coordinators do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came into this toward the end, so I will simply piggy back what others have been saying in regard to "abandoning" the run. What seems to be missing from this discussion is the wear that particular 3 and out did to our defense when Griffin missed the throw to Morgan on 1st down. OK, as others have mentioned, I will not argue that was a bad call...just poor execution. But the very next play Griffin airs it out. Again, not entirely Kyle's fault, but he needs to take into account 2 very important issues when calling those pass plays in that situation...1.) We cannot win a shoot out against the best in the game...2.) Your defense was just on the field for 2 fairly long drives. They NEED a rest! You do not have to hit the home run in that situation...grind out clock, keep Payton Manning off the field and let your work horse get it done.

I remember having this situation last year when we were deep in our own territory with a small lead, late in the fourth. I am screaming at the TV, "RUN THE BALL!" Kyle calls the perfect play action and Griffin hits the receiver down the middle for a 20 yard gain. Huge call in that situation. It got us away from our own goal line, got the defense on their heals, and opened up the run. Give it to Kyle, it was excellent.

When the game is tied, you're playing in a high altitude, your defense has just been worn this, your RB has been churning off huge chunks of yardage...you cannot pass on three consecutive plays!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.