• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

3 Things Redskins Nation Will Accept In Time

Supplemental 2nd.... I had to look it up

Ok so it looks like he would be relatively cheap for 2 years, barring another issue with player conduct and or substance abuse. Maybe i'm unfairly labeling him, and didn't expect this thread to turn into a contract seminar, but I still don't think he's the best option, I'm just not sold.

I definitely don't think he'd be a good option, but he would be cheap. Skins do NOT need to be trading picks right now, IMO.

Nice post GSF, while I don't agree with all of it, you make some excellent points. I was one of those that suggested keeping Griffin out until he was truly 100% would be fine, maybe even the smart thing to do. I'm not sure you have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to the assumption that Cousins would've fared a lot better. That would only be a reasonable assumption if our only main issue was QB play. It's not. Might we be in better shape had Cousins started to date? Maybe, maybe not.

Actually, my take on this is a bit different, although in the end I find room for criticism as well.

It is because the TEAM overall lacks adequate talent and has for many years, Redskins fans look to a messiah quarterback to save the franchise.

I find it ironic that when this team had the greatest passer in franchise history with Sonny Jurgensen, the Redskins never won a championship.

But the team was able to win three titles with quarterbacks who were not HOF caliber.

The simple fact is the Redskins have some very good players but not enough of them.

We have one proven receiver in Garçon, one offensive lineman with credentials in Williams, an emerging TE in Reed and a solid back in Morris on offense. Helu has come back to claim the third down job.

That is a good START.

This team still needs at least 2 if not three OL, at least 2 bona fide wide receivers to take the No. 2 and 3 slots.

That's half an offense to go.

Gimmicks aside Griffin is now playing like a 23 year old quarterback whose college career did not prepare him for the NFL like Andrew Luck's did.

He has to learn pocket presence, how to read defenses and step up in the pocket to plant and make consistent throws.

But with this staff and this OL Griffin doesn't seem to be in the environment to learn quickly.

Yesterday he dropped back 33 times and was hit 18 times.

That's the kind of punishment Aikman took on a 1-15 Dallas team that was still working to get him blockers and pass catchers.

Shanahan has only drafted two OL in the first four rounds of the draft since 2010. Trent Williams and apparent bust Josh LeRibeus.

What is a line if waiver wire and practice squad pickups is merely playing like it.

Joe Gibbs always said priority on offense was keeping the quarterback healthy.

That meant investing in the OL and schemes that maximized pass pro.

Shanahan's ZBS gets yards on the ground but those 285 offensive linemen get chewed up in the passing game and the guy you traded 4 high picks for suffers for it.

Not too smart if you ask me.

Can't argue with any of that. Griffin was getting KILLED yesterday.

I have to think they had their sights set on some FA OLine help, but the cap penalty really killed any chance of that. I mean, they had to, right?

GSF you beat me to it. Actually I had it typed and ready to but said screw it.

It's shocking that we're trying to do the same thing as last year considering Robert's injury. I thought for sure this year we would lean towards a more conventional offense. In order for this current offense to work RG3 has to be a threat to run and get 10+ plus carries a game. Rg3 doesn't even look to me that he is reading the read option half the time and Alfred isn't getting the carries for our 1 and 2 receiver PA plays to work. It's not so much that Robert is locking on, which he does do at times, then it is he only has 1 or 2 options to throw to.

Just like you said, with all the PA fakes and misdirection it's giving Robert less time to look downfield. Not to mention; we have to lead the league in negatives plays.

I'm going to call it right now, RG3 will not be here with Shanahan if he continues down the read option road. I can tell from comments and mannerisms Robert doesn't like this offense and I don't really blame him. These 2 years have been a complete waste in RG3's development. He's played in an offense that hasn't prepared him one bit for the future.

Shanahan has been in win now mode since he got here and look at what it's cost us. Draft picks, major salary cap space and our franchise Qb has already had knee reconstruction. He keeps saying it's going to take 5 years, but all his decisions have been win now.

I'm so thankful that McD5 is not my father.

He would have orphaned me during the fifth-grade when I struggled more than just a little bit.

McD like MikeSr said, I thought you were done... Get lost fast please AND hurry

Come on, Posse Lover. That's the type of post that is the regular at other sites, not this one. Step ya game up!

Some of you think the problem is that we're not running a conventional style offense? They've been running a pocket-passing offense all season, the only time they really moved away from it was the bears game... the results speak for themselves. this team, as currently constructed, is not capable of a conventional style of play.

The offensive line looked awful in the second half, but they gave Griffin all the time in the world in the first half and the result was still the same. I remember the announcers mid play saying 'And Griffin has a month and a half to throw the ball'

The whole unit is just dog**** right now right. Top to bottom.

Some of you think the problem is that we're not running a conventional style offense? They've been running a pocket-passing offense all season, the only time they really moved away from it was the bears game... the results speak for themselves. this team, as currently constructed, is not capable of a conventional style of play.

The offensive line looked awful in the second half, but they gave Griffin all the time in the world in the first half and the result was still the same. I remember the announcers mid play saying 'And Griffin has a month and a half to throw the ball'

The whole unit is just dog**** right now right. Top to bottom.

Yeah, and things need to continue to come together. Guys need to develop. The system needs to continue to be learned. It's a process. Not gonna change with 1 person in ANY position overnight.

And there were a few times that Griffin got DESTROYED. That more was because they were selling out on the pass IMHO... when you become one dimensional, everyone can beat you, the NFL is too good.

First off, RG3 has a big arm and is very accurate.
Was very accurate. A year ago. This season his accuracy has fallen off to mediocre levels. And he has almost twice as many INTs this year with more than half the season still to play. He is not very accurate by any definition. He was very accurate, but that ship seems to have sailed.

Was very accurate. A year ago. This season his accuracy has fallen off to mediocre levels. And he has almost twice as many INTs this year with more than half the season still to play. He is not very accurate by any definition. He was very accurate, but that ship seems to have sailed.

I think it's in his head. He hasn't been able to build a rhythm in ANY game like he was last year. We also haven't run the screens we did last year that were very effective. He's forcing the issue when he shouldn't be, and rushing the easy ones. I honestly think he's rushing himself back there on every play, even when he's got time. Part of it's coaching, part of it is on him to buck up. I think he will, he just needs time to get comfortable. As a sophomore, he deserves it.

Yeah, and things need to continue to come together. Guys need to develop. The system needs to continue to be learned. It's a process. Not gonna change with 1 person in ANY position overnight.

And there were a few times that Griffin got DESTROYED. That more was because they were selling out on the pass IMHO... when you become one dimensional, everyone can beat you, the NFL is too good.

Maybe they do need more time together. It's hard to think about it in that aspect when you're so emotionally invested in the current season.

And you're right - the mantra of every defense is 'take away [facet of the game] make them beat us with [other facet of the game]'
We're zero dimensional at this point :\

Nice post GSF, while I don't agree with all of it, you make some excellent points. I was one of those that suggested keeping Griffin out until he was truly 100% would be fine, maybe even the smart thing to do. I'm not sure you have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to the assumption that Cousins would've fared a lot better. That would only be a reasonable assumption if our only main issue was QB play. It's not. Might we be in better shape had Cousins started to date? Maybe, maybe not.

Thanks Boone. Actually I think it's a pretty safe assumption. Cousins is healthy. He played will last season.
He played well in preseason. He got most of the reps in training camp. He has all of the same players he had last season,
plus a healthy Helu and Jordan Reed. There's really no reason to think Cousins wouldn't have had at least some success.

I do think Cousins also would have taken a lot of hits, so who knows how he would have held up, but I do think Cousins
would have been able to get the ball out quicker and make the reads better than RG3 has this year.

Well, we will probably get the chance to find out. I don't see RG3 making it through the season the way things are going right now.

The difference here is that parts for a car come at their best from the factory brand new, where players come out of college and get BETTER with progression. It's not really a good analogy as they perform in different directions over the life. Am I saying this roster is perfect? No, I'm not. But I also don't think were a whole coaching staff away from turning the corner. I agree we've given Robinson plenty of time to develop, and he hasn't. That dropped pass yesterday is inexcusable and he hasn't done enough for this team to start dropping the football. That being said, I personally don't think you can sell the farm on ANYTHING this year simply because of the cap penalty. We haven't gotten a true gauge of the team in when it comes to progression, because of the lack of money.

Shanny deserves next year at minimum with an actual offseason to do work with money. The first 2 years he was handcuffed by HORRIBLE contracts and bad players, then the next 2 years he's been dealing with an unfair cap penalty. He cant change anything yet, and I have confidence that when they get the chance, they'll do what it takes to be successful.

hmmm…do they get better? how many last beyond 4 years?

The Redskins put Griffin in an offense last year that was perhaps the fastest way to get him on the field and contributing, but one that didn't best contribute to his long-term development in the NFL as a consistent quarterback that can stay on the field.

Again, the ZBS with the smaller line gets yards on the ground, but it chews up the QB in the passing game.

In a way what Shanahan is doing is akin to what Spurrier did - namely, install a scheme where the QB takes hits in order to make the rest of the offense go.

As Gibbs, Walsh and others proved over time, that is not the right way to go. Not when the QB is more important in the NFL than ever before with the rules changes and he usually is the highest paid player on your team.

Remember when Spurrier sent the back and the TE out on pass routes and only kept the 5 linemen in to block for Patrick Ramsey?

That is what Shanahan is in essence doing by putting on the field guys like Lichtensteiger, Chester and Polumbus that he knows aren't strong enough or athletic enough to be effective pass protectors.

Thanks Boone. Actually I think it's a pretty safe assumption. Cousins is healthy. He played will last season.
He played well in preseason. He got most of the reps in training camp. He has all of the same players he had last season,
plus a healthy Helu and Jordan Reed. There's really no reason to think Cousins wouldn't have had at least some success.

I thought Cousins missed almost the entire preseason due to injury, save for about 8 plays. Grossman and White took almost all of those snaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.