• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

3 Things Redskins Nation Will Accept In Time

Well, I don't care what he cost. It's meaningless.

Operation Patience, should still be part of the equation, where fans are concerned.

I haven't seen point 2 discussed on any message board, or in any news outlet. I think that's new.

There are many other issues that haven't yet been discussed--like the realization that we are hoping to build a franchise around a QB with 2 ACL surgeries. A third would likely end his career. A risky proposition, at best. And another reason why even if he returns to form, the other, uninjured QBs are better long term prospects for their franchises.

I'm not in favor of firing everyone right now. I'd wait for the offseason. Barring winning out, I'd can them all.

I also understand the continuity argument. The problem with that, is that Denver was more than patient with him. We've already seen that it didn't work. What's to think it would here? Absolutely nothing, if people are honest with themselves. He was forced to fire multiple bad coaching hires in Denver. Like in Denver, his ego may prevent him from firing poor coaches here. In order to fire someone you hired, you have to admit you were wrong. Shanahan doesn't like to think he could ever be wrong.

And for Winston, he's two years off.

My point is that every post you make comes back to how someone needs to be released/fired and we need to replace it with some flashy talent. 2 weeks ago it was about the receiving corps, and that Josh Gordon would be our savior. Now it's Jameis whos 2 years from even being eligible to play in the NFL.

I will say that it is a concern that he's had his knee rebuilt twice, but from what I've seen he's recovered. Yesterday he didn't have time to do ANYTHING. He got KILLED back there and he never once complained. They PULLED him at the end of that game, he was ready to go back in.

As far as Shanny not admitting fault.. He wont. When was the last time you heard a coach come out and say "I messed up." It doesn't happen they have to believe in what they are doing, period. I don't want him to come out and say it, I want him to do what he thinks is best for the team. The coaches that don't believe in what they are doing, generally, don't stick around very long.

Seriously. You should just start one McD5 thread and stick to it, instead of polluting this place with a new thread everytime you have a reason to rag on your delusion-du-jour.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

I have to assume #3 is a joke.

"The best QB prospect he's ever seen"? Really?

Wow. I've never ever ... ever hear anyone say that about any other QB prospect before. Ever.

Good grief. Are there ever years where there ISN'T a guy that's dubbed 'the best prospect ever seen'?

I mention that mainly for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen him play.

Also, I'd say such a compliment from JJ (a guy who knows a thing or two about HOF QBs) is pretty incredible.

I don't believe I've ever heard him say anything like that about another player. And what makes it even more incredible? Winston plays for the team that was his biggest rival--a team he despises.

I mention that mainly for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen him play.

Also, I'd say such a compliment from JJ (a guy who knows a thing or two about HOF QBs) is pretty incredible.

I don't believe I've ever heard him say anything like that about another player. And what makes it even more incredible? Winston plays for the team that was his biggest rival--a team he despises.

In 1993 John Madden, who knows a thing or two about QBs himself, called Mark Rypien the best QB in the NFL. Big deal.

You want to burn everything to the ground and devise a long term offseason strategy based on something a talking head said, because 20 years ago he had a decent, albeit over-rated, QB on his team for a few seasons?

My point is that every post you make comes back to how someone needs to be released/fired and we need to replace it with some flashy talent. 2 weeks ago it was about the receiving corps, and that Josh Gordon would be our savior. Now it's Jameis whos 2 years from even being eligible to play in the NFL.

I will say that it is a concern that he's had his knee rebuilt twice, but from what I've seen he's recovered. Yesterday he didn't have time to do ANYTHING. He got KILLED back there and he never once complained. They PULLED him at the end of that game, he was ready to go back in.

As far as Shanny not admitting fault.. He wont. When was the last time you heard a coach come out and say "I messed up." It doesn't happen they have to believe in what they are doing, period. I don't want him to come out and say it, I want him to do what he thinks is best for the team. The coaches that don't believe in what they are doing, generally, don't stick around very long.

The trade deadline is tomorrow. I believe the general consensus is that Cleveland would be insane to trade Josh Gordon, but we'll see. Here was his day yesterday with Jason Campbell throwing him the ball, against the best defense in the NFL.

Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon dazzles in last game before NFL trade deadline | cleveland.com

Well, I don't care what he cost. It's meaningless.

Operation Patience, should still be part of the equation, where fans are concerned.

agree. been patient for 20+ years now :)

eventually, we are going to become the patients!!!! :lipsrsealed2:

The trade deadline is tomorrow. I believe the general consensus is that Cleveland would be insane to trade Josh Gordon, but we'll see. Here was his day yesterday with Jason Campbell throwing him the ball, against the best defense in the NFL.

Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon dazzles in last game before NFL trade deadline | cleveland.com

I was watching Redzone.. a large chunk of that came on a flea flicker where he was wide open.

If you want to make a case for a WR we should go after.... Larry Fitzgerald is apparently on the block. I'd take him over Gordon 10 times out of 10, even with the added expense. The guy is a professional. We have a young team, and our lockerroom leader is likely retiring after this year... another WR who's got a checkered past is not something I'd like to take a chance on.

we already have one dope head WR on the bench. We dont need your flavor of the month to join him for an insane amount.

I mean, even the Browns see it. Yet you can't get past the flashy wrapper to see that he is nothing more than a headache.

You haven't even seen him play, and you are wrong about his contract.

He has one of the cheapest contracts in the league.

I was watching Redzone.. a large chunk of that came on a flea flicker where he was wide open.

If you want to make a case for a WR we should go after.... Larry Fitzgerald is apparently on the block. I'd take him over Gordon 10 times out of 10, even with the added expense. The guy is a professional. We have a young team, and our lockerroom leader is likely retiring after this year... another WR who's got a checkered past is not something I'd like to take a chance on.

His drug issue is a very valid concern. It's often brought up anytime free agents are discussed on Redskins boards. I think a small portion of that is because we've been hurt with free agents before.

It is a risk, but off-field issues were also a risk last offseason when considering Aqib Talib.

Fitz is good too. But we can't afford him, and he's getting older. We can afford Gordon, and he's only 22 years old.

I havent seen him play? What proof do you have of that? I watched that Chiefs game with TWO fans yesterday so I saw the entire game.

dude, you really like to try and push your delusions on to people just because you are so easily distracted by shiny objects and so full of hate for the Redskins.

And sure, his contract is cheap NOW. But he is on his rookie deal, right? Oh wait...that once again would debunk your entire "OOOH LOOK, SHINY NEW OBJECT!" delusion and you'd have to realize he would want big money. We already have a GREAT #1 who is locked up for a while and have NO need for an expensive #2.

Mike, he's locked into a 5 year rookie contract.

That means he's cheap for the next three years. It would almost be like a free look.

His drug issue is a very valid concern. It's often brought up anytime free agents are discussed on Redskins boards. I think a small portion of that is because we've been hurt with free agents before.

It is a risk, but off-field issues were also a risk last offseason when considering Aqib Talib.

Fitz is good too. But we can't afford him, and he's getting older. We can afford Gordon, and he's only 22 years old.

Lol you've continued to conveniently disregard the fact that he's on his rookie contract... He's going to get paid sooner or later, are you going to suggest moving on from him then?

You responded while I was typing

Yeah he's on a 5 year deal, but how long does that last? They're eligible to restructure after 3, and you HONESTLY believe he's not going to make a stink? $5 says he holds out if they don't address it before then. If it plays out that way, since you like hypotheticals, then you have a guy facing a year long suspension holding out for more money, 1 year after we get him.....

Fitz will restructure, I all but guarantee it...He's on the books for $18 mil next year, he knows as well as anyone else does that he's not gonna get that. He may be getting older, but he's still a force, and brings a LOT more to the table off the field then Gordon.

Last edited:
Yep. Gordon will demand a restructure as soon as it's allowed. Especially if he's traded. No way he plays for a second team on his rookie contract. Players just don't do that.

At the moment, Griffin is missing wide-open WRs streaking downfield (throwing the ball and not throwing the ball); I don't think Josh Gordon will suddenly fix Griffin's mechanics and cause him to hit wide-open WRs where he's been missing them up until now.

McD is frustrated, like the rest of us. Maybe we can ease up on the "full of hate" comments though, he's a fan just like the rest of us.

Yep. Gordon will demand a restructure as soon as it's allowed. Especially if he's traded. No way he plays for a second team on his rookie contract. Players just don't do that.

I believe in the new CBA, players are not allowed to restructure until year 4 of their rookie deals. So we'd have a one and a half-year rental, basically.

EDIT: according to what I'm seeing, all rookies sign 4-year deals, not 5. And there is no extension until the 4th year.

I believe in the new CBA, players are not allowed to restructure until year 4 of their rookie deals. So we'd have a one and a half-year rental, basically.

EDIT: according to what I'm seeing, all rookies sign 4-year deals, not 5. And there is no extension until the 4th year.

year 5 can be picked up by the team and the player then makes the avg of the top 10 players at that position if the deal is not re-done.

I had to go back and look at it, I might have misunderstood...

OK, I wasn't going to think this out loud, but here goes:

The real issue that keeps nagging in my head is how poorly KS and MS have handled RG3's development. They have botched things badly with him in many ways imo.

First off, RG3 has a big arm and is very accurate. Yes he runs the option very well, but to run that option as much as the Skins continue to do is really dumb imo. Not just because RG3 takes hits on the runs, but more so because of the number of hits on the slow to develop pass plays out of that formation. KS is calling way too many slow to develop, deep drop, play action passes imo. RG3 has taken so many hits in these types of plays. It's no coincidence that RG3 suddenly is not seeing Garcon steaking deep wide open on play action passes. RG3 knows he's not protected, and he's coming off a big injury. He's a little jumpy back there and it's completely understandable. The Redskins have been putting young, first round QBs behind crappy olines for a decade now(Ramsey, Campbell). The fact that MS has continued this approach is absolutely mind boggling to me. He should know better. You don't trade the farm to acquire a talent like RG3, and then line up a bunch of scrubs in front of him.

KS is just as much to blame. He should have spent the last year teaching RG3 the nfl offense we were running with Rex, teaching RG3 how to read defenses. Right now he should be calling way more quick, short and mid range throws out of the pistol or short drops. RG3 is great at zipping the ball out quickly in multiple receiver formations, and we barely did that at all against the Broncos. What did we throw, 1 quick slant?

Also with the injury. MS should have made the decision early on that RG3 was not going to play until he was absolutely 100%, and until he was a regular full participant in practice. RG3 should not have started until he looked completely comfortable and sharp in practice. To rush RG3 back to start in week 1 after not playing and barely practicing in preseason was just dumb, no matter what RG3 wanted. Players want to play, and coaches need to protect these younger guys from themselves sometimes. For RG3 to tell the press in preseason that he didn't need preseason, and how Brady and Manning had missed preseasons shows how immature he is in some ways.

So, you take your young, rusty, coming off an injury QB, and you throw him in there behind a very shaky oline. Then you stay with your read option/play action offense almost exclusively and expose said QB to way too many hits. Does anyone in here really think this has been smart coaching?

To add insult to injury, we have a another very talented QB sitting on the bench collecting dust. I feel very strongly that had Kirk Cousins been named the starter during preseason until RG3 was completely ready to go, the Redskins would be leading the NFC east right now. Cousins can run the pre-RG3 KS offense very well. The Skins looked great in preseason with Cousins at the helm. They should have rolled with Cousins and let RG3 heal up and watch Cousins run the offense. RG3 would have learned a lot, and would have come back healthy and hungry.

I know people will say hindsight is 20/20, but a lot of us were thinking these things during the preseason. We may not have all wanted to voice these concerns out loud, but I know most of you guys have at least considered these points because they are obvious considerations.

We will see how out all works out, but there a whole bunch of things MS could and should have done much better imo.

year 5 can be picked up by the team and the player then makes the avg of the top 10 players at that position if the deal is not re-done.

I had to go back and look at it, I might have misunderstood...

That's only for first-round picks. Gordon was a 3rd-round pick in the supplemental draft, if I'm not mistaken.

That's only for first-round picks. Gordon was a 3rd-round pick in the supplemental draft, if I'm not mistaken.

Supplemental 2nd.... I had to look it up

Ok so it looks like he would be relatively cheap for 2 years, barring another issue with player conduct and or substance abuse. Maybe i'm unfairly labeling him, and didn't expect this thread to turn into a contract seminar, but I still don't think he's the best option, I'm just not sold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.