• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Defense

brandies

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/at-the-bye-high-marks-for-the.html#more

At the bye: High marks for the defense
With the Redskins regrouping during the bye week, we think it's a good time for the blog to take stock of the team's performance. Today, Rick Maese takes a look at the team's defense through seven games. Thursday: Jason Reid looks at the offense. And Friday, Barry Svrluga talks special teams.

Not surprisingly, most of the team's bright spots can be found on the defensive side of the ball. But even this unit has fallen short of preseason expectations. Statistically, the Redskins' defense looks pretty sound. It boasts the NFL's leading tackler in London Fletcher (more on him in a bit) and is holding opponents to 283.4 yards per game (No. 5 in the NFL) and 17.6 points (No. 6).

But the defense probably has benefited the most of any unit from the team's soft schedule. Five of the Redskins' first seven opponents are ranked among the league's worst-scoring teams (No. 23 Detroit, No. 25 Carolina, No. 26 Kansas City, No. 28 Tampa Bay 28, No. 32 St. Louis) and six of the seven offenses rank in the bottom half in yardage.

CLICK LINK FOR REST OF ARTICLE

I think the Philly game exposed the Redskins defense.

The Redskins got a good push from the front four against the Eagles somewhat average offensive line, but there were still 2 plays over 50 yards that resulted in TDs for Philly.

The Redskins were once again very good at limiting Eagles gains on first and second downs but often failed to close the door in preventing the third down conversions.

As this team works its way through a schedule that includes some very good passers the defense is really going to be challenged.

So far we have seen Matthew Stafford, Marc Bulger, Josh Johnson, Jake Delhomme and the like.

That's a far cry from Manning, Romo, Ryan, Brees, etc.

Our defense over the last couple of years has been top notch. If you gave any of those defenses over the years an average offense they would have made the playoffs each year.

The problem is always our sucky offense. Though this year they have reach a new level of suck.

Romo threw 4 touchdowns against the Redskins when Gibbs was here in one game.

Let's face it, the Redskins have only played two teams that now have winning records and both times the defense allowed the Giants and Eagles to make big plays down the field to set up scores.

The fact the Redskins were able to artificially inflate their defensive points against by holding St. Louis to 7 points and the Chiefs to 14 doesn't give me a lot of confidence going forward against REAL opponents with quarterbacks who can throw the football.

Matt Ryan? If I am not mistaken Matt had some pretty good stats last year. In fact he is a better quarterback than anyone the Redskins have had for the past 18 years.

Mike, Mike, Mike! For you to seriously consider Jason Campbell on the same level as Matt Ryan is rather homeristic! I was going to give a long list of reasons why, but I really think you know deep in your heart that Ryan in his rookie year proved he is a better QB in the NFL than Campbell ever has in his 5 years.

The Redskins will be lucky to go 1-4 in their next 5 games. You know it, I know it.

Jason Reid wondered whether with the team in turmoil we can count on any more wins period.

So, let's get a bit real and stop denigrating opposing quarterbacks and skill players that so obviously outperform those in burgundy and gold.

It's just more denial.

just watch what happens over the next 4-5 games. it will be instructive for all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.