• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mock Draft Munch: Bradford leads to Skins

What do you guys think about Jimmy Clausen (if he comes out of course)? I have not honestly been following him very closely but I hear his name from time to time. Any dark horses we should be looking at at QB?

I saw a mock today that had us taking Jonathan Dwyer, the RB from Georgia Tech in the first. I think we should probably go OT here, but I’ll have to admit that this pick is intriguing because this guy is the real deal. Then I sober up a bit and realize that it falls into the same pattern of mistakes we've made for the past several years of putting the cart before the horse.

RB value can be found in the later rounds. We should definitely look for one in the 3rd or 4th.

Unless the team thinks Brennan is the future (and I don't see how they could), I don't think it would be wise to rule out taking a QB as soon as next year. Couple things there - first of all, drafting him doesn't mean you play him - so rebuilding the line doesn't HAVE to necessarily occur in total before drafting a QB. The key is, if we're in a position to draft a franchise QB, and think we're in prime position to get 'the guy' for the next 10 years, you do it. Building the line and getting a franchise QB aren't mutually exclusive. We shouldn't 'reach' though. If we truly blow this thing up next year, to me, you've really got to have a 5 year plan. The other thing to think about is, if we do finish something God-awful, say 3-13, it may be our only opportunity to have sucked badly enough to really have a chance at a top QB prospect without having to *gulp* trade multiple high picks to move up. Finally, I think we should be careful about writing a QB off because he's been injured in college. Every injury is unique and may/may not be relevant to future potential.

While drafting a QB with a top pick in 2010 might make fans scream, that doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. Depends on who we're picking and why.

My wish list with our first round pick, whether we trade back or not, or somehow maneuver for extra picks (trade a player or whatever):
Jake Locker, QB, Washington
Russel Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
Reggie Stephens, OG, Iowa State

I think Iupati could drop to the 2nd round - and would be a steal. He's got the Olin Kreutz mean streak, is athletic, and will dominate in the pros. With Dockery and Iupati, we'd have a monster run game I think.

NFL Draft Countdown has the Skins taking Jimmy Clausen.
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Of course, by now you know I want a LT.
I thought Oher would have been great last year.....but I'm still very happy with Orakpo.

Very high on Okung and Williams.....
I like Clausen's skills, but frankly he's never really been a winner at Notre Dame.

Bradford is a question mark b/c of the injury concerns.

I don't like what I've seen of Snead

Don't know much about Jake Locker......yet

McCoy and Tebow don't look like real "pro" prospects if you know what I mean.

Based on our current situation, needs and record:
The Skins look like they will be hovering around spots 5-7.
Our biggest needs are O-line and QB, you can also argue RB but I'll get to that.

You don't draft a OG or C in the the early 1st round, unless you have a guy like Branden Albert. Same can be said for a RT.......save those spots for late 1st round, round two or later.

So that leaves QB and LT. Me, I'm more of a LT guy b/c it's the safest pick. At worst you get a Robert Gallery, who is converted to a pretty good guard.
QB is a crapshoot and right now with this FO I feel we'll draft a dud.

Just look at the QBs we've drafted during Vinny's tenure:
Patrick Ramsey
Jason Campbell
Jordan Palmer
Gibran Hamdin
Colt Brennan

Not a really good track record there......

We get a good GM and a coach who can identify and find a true leader/field general.....then I'm all for a QB.

As for RB. While everybody hopes for the next Adrian Peterson, I'd say the best bet is to draft a player in the 4th round, find a good, affordable free agent to complement him and also see if Betts or Ganther is servicable.

My strategy:
Round
1. LT (maybe a QB, if and only if we have the right people at coach and FO and if premier LTs are gone)
2. QB/OG/RT/C- BPA at these positions and these positions only.
3. Jeremy Jarmon, DE Kentucky
4. RB- if there is no body there then try to address OG or C, LB or DT
5. DT- find the next Kedrick Golston here, or again look for depth on the O-line, possibly a LB
6. Gah, Jason Taylor trade.....damn you Vinny!!!!!
7. LB, RB- again look for a special teamer here or a guy that has fallen further for some reason that could be a diamond.

FAs: Bring in a veteran QB to battle with Colt and/or the drafted QB
-Find a new SLB, also we need more LB depth, we are very thin
- need some decent players to compete for RT, RG, C. Skins need to find at least 3-4 players who could be regular starters to go along with the linemen who remain and hopefully at least 2 or more O-line draftees.

Last edited:
O.K.-time to come out of left field with a possible scenario.

Just ruminatin' here, sort of...maybe.

If the GBN mock were to be close enough to reality-and if the Skins were to exhibit the abnormally good judgment to grab Okung in the first round-knowing we're minus a third round pick-I'm gonna throw out a name that might pop up in the second round if he keeps gaining notoriety.

Dan Lefevour. QB-Central Michigan-throwing out some stats and performances that are suddenly getting a lot of media attention-I watched him against Toledo the other night. Looks good. A possibility @ QB? Any thoughts-or am I just getting loony in my old age?

Lefevour is a guy that is definitely on my radar as well. I think we could do ourselves a big favor going LT in the 1st and QB in the 2nd.

I can't imagine a good scenario right now that involves the Redskins picking anything other than offensive line in at least the first round. Perhaps even the second.

I know folks don't like Brennan, but I wouldn't mind giving him a shot next year for at least a few games before deciding that he's just too Jeff George (without the arm) and not enough Brett Favre (without the arm).

Sign a vet to back Brennan up, or possibly just ride Todd Collins a bit more.

We need offensive line badly. That, I am sure of. And this year, to me, isn't looking good for QBs. And plus, I really would like to see what Brennan can do for real.

EatSleep-I'm coming from a perspective that operates under the assumption that QB simply will be a position that will be a high priority on the organization's "look for" list and spotting candidates that I think would be viable choices. I'd love to see the O-Line be the main direction the Skins go in making draft choices but I'm also pretty well convinced, based on my understanding of how Dan and Vinny will look at the situation, that that won't be the case.

I bet we take the BPJS route.

(Best Potential Jersey Seller)

So we're drafting Tim Tebow then?

I want Jimmy Clausen of ND - the kid just has "it". I want the rest of the draft spend on the lines (our 3rd and 6th already have been technically) but if Levi Jones shows over the rest of the season he can do a job, he can be our Andy Heck for this decade but I'd want a blue chip (2nd rd) prospect drafted behind him to learn and be ready to go if his dodgy back goes again.

Jimmy Clausen? Gross.

I want Okung. He's gonna go in the top 3 though, and I don't think we'll have a pick that high.

Jimmy Clausen? Gross.

I want Okung. He's gonna go in the top 3 though, and I don't think we'll have a pick that high.

Helluva note-if our "new found" playing ability manages to grab the Skins a couple more wins it'll hurt us come draft time. If next years uncapped, I could see Mr. Moneybags go FA-happy if our draft position doesn't look too advantageous.

Oh goody.:kick_can:

Lefevour is a guy that is definitely on my radar as well. I think we could do ourselves a big favor going LT in the 1st and QB in the 2nd.

Most of the mock drafts and coversation that I have heard says that LeFevour will be a 4th round pick. Imagine LT in the first round, Linebacker (especially if we go to the 3-4 defense) or RB in the 2nd round, and then LeFevour in the 4th round. The only issue is we would keep Jason Campbell around because no way you would want to start LeFevour in 2010, Shanahan doesn't start rookie QBs anyway. Trading down from the #4 overall pick would be still possible too, and get that 3rd round pick back, or better yet another 2nd.

Most of the mock drafts and coversation that I have heard says that LeFevour will be a 4th round pick. Imagine LT in the first round, Linebacker (especially if we go to the 3-4 defense) or RB in the 2nd round, and then LeFevour in the 4th round. The only issue is we would keep Jason Campbell around because no way you would want to start LeFevour in 2010, Shanahan doesn't start rookie QBs anyway. Trading down from the #4 overall pick would be still possible too, and get that 3rd round pick back, or better yet another 2nd.

That sounds like a plan to me. The latest stuff I've read had LeFevour moving up a lot of boards into the 3rd or even 2nd round. Let's see how he does at the Senior Bowl at the end of the month. Trying to slot a QB in the draft is about the biggest crap shoot going.

I've seen LeFevour a few times over the past couple of years but he REALLY impressed me in the Motor City Bowl. He has the bulk to shake off potential sacks and moves well for a big guy. He throws well on the run and is not afraid to pull it down and run with the ball. I wouldn't say he has a big-time arm but it seems like he can make all the throws and he's pretty accurate. The only drawback is that he's a shotgun/spread QB. Looking forward to seeing how well he adjusts to lining up under center at the Senior Bowl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.