• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Thinking about getting a camper

Snydershrugged

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
Something very new for me and my family, but its looking more and more attractive as an option as I get older.

Probably looking at a travel trailer type so I can use my pick-up to tow it. Probably going to go between 20 and 30 feet and would want a slider plus a bunkhouse set up for the kids beds. It would need to sleep 5-6.

Also want a used one and keep it under $10k.

Any advice on where to even start?

I love the silver cylinders too, but they are so pricey that i doubt I could ever find one in my range that is in decent shape. My budget will keep me in the used items I think.

I actually have no idea how much trailers (in general) cost, or Airstreams, as I've never been in the market! I thought you meant new as in 2014 model, so I was suggesting a more retro look! :)

I would suggest checking couple RV dealers in your area. They may have taken something in trade or know someone wanting to sell theirs. Often they may have someone wanting to sell their old trailer so can upgrade. If they can hook you up with someone it will help them sell one.

I have never been big into camping, but would a campground have a bulletin board where people post trailers for sale? You might try even try Craigslist.

If you're getting used make sure you spend a lot of time looking over it. I'm talking about looking at seals, trying to find joe homeowner fixes, rusted screws, etc. Open every window and drawer. Turn on all the electric appliances. Look for mold/mildew, and signs of leaking, etc.

I know that all sounds like basic stuff but some people get wrapped up in buying the item they overlook the small stuff until they've already purchased it and they're in the state park at night going in the rain going 'crap, the window leaks, i should have realized 1/2 the seal was missing'

I have friends that just got one and it suffers from those kinds of problems. In addition they didn't have the water hooked up when they checked it out and something was bad that blew up and leaked water everywhere the first time they hooked it up.

Find a forum that is dedicated to campers. Don't be afraid to make an account and ask questions or post what you're finding. You can also look for forums that specialize in the brand you're looking for and browse that; you'll pick up the long term issues and things to look for/consider from people that have been through them already.

Tshile is spot on. While some can be quite luxurious, there built pretty poorly. I had to deal with them a lot when I was working for the disabled mobility company. Something else to consider, your pick up. If it's automatic, and you don't already, install a heavy duty transmission cooler.

Great advice guys, I really appreciate it. These are things I hadnt thought much about but Im sure will be extremely useful.

I think of camper trailers an RVs right along the same line as boats. Having my experiences in boats plenty of people ask my advice regularly. I tell them to sit down and seriously commit to a use analysis. How much can you guarantee you will use it esch season, quarter, .or year? Now look at your costs for that period. Dont forget all the money youre gonna drop because its not perfect as is, maint, fuel, repairs, etc. (Dont forget your vehicle maint/upgrades) Now total those costs and see what you will get out of it.

In boating, a vast majority of owners don't use them enough to justify the cost and would be better off with a fractional ownership, charters a couple times a year, a family vacation, etc.

Having said that all just coming through a couple national parks with a couple more to go this week I have seen so many people enjoying themselves that it looks like great fun! Good luck!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

After more research, and thinking through a lot of your advice, I'm starting to think that maybe one of those Hybrid types that has the expandable portions for sleeping areas may be better suited to our needs and budget. The travel trailers are awesome, but I fear my lack of experience towing something that large and that I have just a normal 1/2 ton Ram pick-up may mean its overreaching on my part. I figure we could always upgrade later in life if we see the need, but start small at this point to test the waters. Lots of time to think this through at least.

I think of camper trailers an RVs right along the same line as boats. Having my experiences in boats plenty of people ask my advice regularly. I tell them to sit down and seriously commit to a use analysis. How much can you guarantee you will use it esch season, quarter, .or year? Now look at your costs for that period. Dont forget all the money youre gonna drop because its not perfect as is, maint, fuel, repairs, etc. (Dont forget your vehicle maint/upgrades) Now total those costs and see what you will get out of it.

In boating, a vast majority of owners don't use them enough to justify the cost and would be better off with a fractional ownership, charters a couple times a year, a family vacation, etc.

Having said that all just coming through a couple national parks with a couple more to go this week I have seen so many people enjoying themselves that it looks like great fun! Good luck!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

You should definitely do this kind of analysis. Especially with regard to amount of time you expect to use it versus your costs. You can rent an RV that accommodates 7 for about $1000 a week. So how many weeks a year will you use it and how long do you plan on keeping it?

I was looking for a pop up, and craigslist is a great place to find them. But like others have said, you have to go over them with a fine tooth comb!

I don't know how I kept missing this thread, but I will talk to my grandfather and see what he says for what you're looking for. I don't know squat about them, but he is 78 years old, and has spent his life crossing the country in them from low end to over luxurious from his house in Greer, SC to see his brothers in Olympia, WA. He has bought, sold, traded, built, etc. every type you can think of. The last one he had was ridiculous and made him look like an ass because of how overdone it was. It had a fully functional full service kitchen, bar, bathrooms, and slept 8. It had satellite tv, a water fountain, refrigerator, it was literally a house on wheels. He only kept it for one trip, because it was so long he found out driving it wasn't as fun as he had hoped. I'll get back to you and let you know what he says.

Edit: SS, I'm on the phone with my grandfather now, and he said for your price range, avoid Coachmen and Starcraft like the plague. He said they are mostly particle board, and extremely prone to rot, mildew, leaking, insect infestation and they take a beating on the road. They are very cheaply built and he said you couldn't give him one for free they're so terrible.

He recommends going to RVtrader.com for your needs and budget. He also says that it's worth the trip for you to go to SC or GA to get one, because people there go through them like underwear, and since they all want a new one every year, and they depreciate so quickly, they have so many available they practically give them away down there.

Last edited:
Not to be contrarian, but we had a Starcraft pop-up for 10+ years growing up, and went to the beach with it every year with no problems. That was 25 years ago, however, so maybe their construction techniques have gotten worse (highly possible). I was also a kid, and didn't pay attention to those types of things. I don't remember my parents doing much maintenance on it, however.

Not to be contrarian, but we had a Starcraft pop-up for 10+ years growing up, and went to the beach with it every year with no problems. That was 25 years ago, however, so maybe their construction techniques have gotten worse (highly possible). I was also a kid, and didn't pay attention to those types of things. I don't remember my parents doing much maintenance on it, however.
Starcraft was sold multiple times between 86-91ish. It was completely family owned and operated before then, and a lot of their designers and builders were former Brunswick guys who knew their **** pretty well when it came to building quality products. But like any family owned business, they tend to fall apart in quality when they get sold, because the buyers typically don't keep the same passion for it. On top of that, the construction techniques by a lot of companies got worse in 2008/2009 with gas prices. A lot of companies decided to buy and build cheaply and lightly to promote it as a gas saving measure. Which means the RVs built in 2009 are probably some of the worst to ever come off the line by any brand.

I saw a show about RVs on Discovery or Discovery Science or one of those channels a couple of years ago that said the reason the quality has fallen off on a lot of lower end brands, is because they've gone from plywood or solid wood construction with nails and metal fasteners, to particle board and glue, because it reduces the price for them and the consumer so much.

Some comapnies started making composite shell ones that are supposed to be the best money can buy, but they look so badass and durable I'd be afraid to get a price on one, because they look like they'd cost as much as a house.

Don't forget to factor in your local taxes, registration fees, and insurance when doing your cost analysis. It's very different depending on state. VA for example you'd have to pay personal property tax on a camper (I think? I know you do for boats)

there is sure a lot more to consider than I ever imagined. The search for the right one will take a lot longer than I anticipated!

Don't forget to factor in your local taxes, registration fees, and insurance when doing your cost analysis. It's very different depending on state. VA for example you'd have to pay personal property tax on a camper (I think? I know you do for boats)
Very true, and depending on your exact city, there is an additional luxury tax on such things. Here in Virginia Beach, they consider damn near everything a luxury now. I even had to pay a luxury tax when I renewed my vehicle registration last year, and I own a 98 Explorer with no bells and whistles. But to the city, that was worthy of me having to pay an additional $85 luxury tax for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.