• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What are some of the best deals on land-line phone service ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
I know some of the land-line options are regional and some are nationwide, but either way, can you suggest any that are both economical and have good service ? For example, on one extreme end of the spectrum price-wise, I heard Magic-Jack was super cheap, but that the service was supposedly horrible. Suggestions ?

Vonage and Magic Jack. The horrible service with Magic Jack is a regional issue. I know in this area (southeast VA) a lot of people have it and love it. My dad's friend has had it since it came out and never had an issue. The same company also now makes a chip for the tv to get a bunch of tv channels for almost nothing compared to cable. I'm seriously considering giving it a shot.

Also, if you have Cox in your area, they have a very basic plan that includes caller ID, local and long distance. I know the price varies depending on where you are, but here they offer it for something like $25 a month.

And Magic Jack is offering a free trial right now too.....magicJack PLUS - FREE Local and Long Distance

There is also NetTalkDuo which costs $50 up front, but includes a free year, then $30 a year after that. http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/netTALK+DUO

Lastly, there is SafeLink. You can qualify for a free cell phone with 250 minutes a month or 125 a month that rollover month to month......https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enrollment/Safelink/en/Public/NewHome.html

Last edited:
Thanks.
I'm trying to save some money on this "bundle".
The cable company keeps raising the rates and it's now about $137 for a combo of cable, internet, and land-line.
I'm thinkin that's so high that I can actually save money by breaking it up separately into a landline service, an internet service, and cable separately.
Do you think $137 is a lot to pay for all three ?

Yes it is, unless you're getting the top tier of it all. The beauty is, most companies will cut you a deal and reduce your bill if you call them and tell them you want to cancel due to the high rates. They generally forward you to their customer retention department and offer you reduced rates, free months, free extras, or a combination of those. I'd go that route first, it helped me knock my Cox bill back from $178 to $112 a few years back before I dropped them completely.

The only thing I'll add to Ex's suggestion is to watch your bill. We finally dropped Comcast all together because my wife would call and tell them we were going to cancel; they would do as Ex said, but then their bills would start edging back up before they were supposed to. It got infuriating, so we finally dropped them all together.

Sounds like it wouldn't be beneficial to accept any negotiating counter-offer from the cable company, since anything they offer in response, will be a very temporary benefit until the rates creep back up, not long after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.