• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Michael Lombari Joins the Snyder SlamFest

servumtuum

The Owner's Favorite
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Indiana
Well, now, seems Michael Lombardi has a few unkind words to add to the volumes being added daily by football personalities on the subject of "Why Dan Snyder is a total loser when it comes to running an NFL franchise"

These two paragraphs stood out to me:

Snyder has no respect for coaches or executives — but how could he? He thinks he can run the team without any formal training, so he doesn’t value the qualities a trained football person would bring to his organization. As a result, he wants to run the team his way and doesn’t hire the best and the brightest in any part of his football organization. Like the Raiders, the Redskins are under dictatorial rule.

AP
Even having Joe Gibbs back in the fold couldn't help save Snyder from himself.

Bringing back Joe Gibbs was Snyder’s way of saving his fan base and sending a message to the fans that he cares. But in reality, he never let Gibbs set up the front office and bring in his personnel people. Gibbs’ return was a great story. His teams finished four games below .500 with one playoff win in his four years. They did make the playoffs twice with Gibbs as head coach, and he brought a sense of credibility to the organization. From the outside, everyone around the NFL was waiting for Gibbs to take over the front office, but that day never came. Snyder never allows anyone, even Gibbs, to play with his toy.

Um, here's the link to the entire article.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-Lessons-for-Snyder.html

Is that true? Gibbs always said he had the final say on personnel matters when he was here.

I've said all along that there was no way that Gbbs and Buges, after building their fame on the Hogs, ignored the lines like they did without interference from Turd Blossom

I don't know whether Lombardi's take is accurate, but it's certainly crossed my mind. I have a very hard time believing that if Snyder said to Gibbs, "you can hire any football executives in the league you want to help select players," that Gibbs responded by saying, "let's just keep Vinny and call it a day."

My theory is that Snyder said to Gibbs, "I'll give you X amount of money, and I'll give you this much control, but working with Vinny and me is part of the deal."

My theory is that Snyder said to Gibbs, "I'll give you X amount of money, and I'll give you this much control, but working with Vinny and me is part of the deal."

I always wondered why Gibbs would have accepted those terms.

When he took the HC job, what did he really have to gain? He was a successful NASCAR owner and in the Hall of Fame.

That will always be a mystery to me.

I don't know whether Lombardi's take is accurate, but it's certainly crossed my mind. I have a very hard time believing that if Snyder said to Gibbs, "you can hire any football executives in the league you want to help select players," that Gibbs responded by saying, "let's just keep Vinny and call it a day."

Well, given that the fan outrage we're seeing today was about to happen immediately post SOS' exit and prior to Gibbs' return, I don't think Snyder had any leverage to try anything like that. Besides, Gibbs was/is one of the few people Snyder genuinely respects so I don't think that scenario was terribly plausible anyway.

My theory at the time was that Gibbs felt that there were enough things in the F.O. that needed changing that he just decided to keep Snyder's handpuppet around as a way of throwing Danny a bone, so to speak. Besides, Vinny can be awfully valuable in a certain way and Gibbs was smart enough to know how much help a useful fool with close ties to the owner and a lousy reputation among the fans could be.

In the end, Gibbs' shortcomings with player evaluation/acquisition in his second stint with us was his undoing, and ours as well. That was never his strong suit and instead of finding someone he trusted to handle it, he chose to do it himself. The responsibility for that lies squarely on the shoulders of one Joe Jackson Gibbs.

In contrast, Parcells laid a much better foundation of talent in Dallass and that's why they haven't faltered yet. However as Parcells' guys slowly filter out, the Pukes will eventually wind up roughly where we are. Since Jones actually does know a little bit about football, how to handle the media, fan relations, gameday experience etc., it's not likely to be quite as bad in Dallass as our situation. However make no mistake about it, any organization that's run by incompetent owners the way the Skins and Pukes are, is headed for a fall.

...But, I digress. I had to get something positive in somewhere I guess. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.