• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Time to Start and Play Younger Players

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Last night's game is confirmation in case anyone needed it that the Redskins season from a competitive standpoint is over.

What we have to look forward to now is clearing the decks for the next GM/Coach and helping that process by letting the younger players on the roster get game experience to see if they are part of the future resurgence here.

Davis is going to play regularly now that Cooley is out for the season. But we need to continue to see Thomas out there instead of ARE.

Cornelius Griffin is consistently hurting in each contest. We need to give those reps next to AH to Kedric Golston and see if he is going to be able to step up in 2010 to be a starter.

At defensive end, we really need to see more and more of Jarmon and Alexander which has been slowly happening over the past 2-3 weeks.

Orakpo needs to see more reps in Daniels' place at LDE.

I am wondering if the team needs to start Orakpo at LDE in coming weeks and temporarily let HB Blades start at SAM acknowledging that he is best suited to playing inside?

Unfortunately, there's nothing to do on the offensive line except to see if Levi Jones at age 28 is a guy we can take off the scrap heap and re-energize as a guy that can have a future here.

He may or may not have anything left, but he is still under 30 and in my mind a guy with much better odds than Mike Williams to be a contributor here beyond 2009.

Heyer was awful at LT. There is no way that Jones, who replaced him in the second half, shouldn't finish the season there.

I liked Heyer back in 2007 and thought he would come along. The problem is that he seemed to hit a plateau where he just isn't going to get any better than what we have seen.

Montgomery is best suited to playing center, so I don't know if we are really learning anything about him by using him at RG, except to note that Chad Rinehart's performance is SOOOO poor Bugel is that embarrassed to use him at all.

As Gruden said last night, the cupboard is not entirely bare. There are younger players with talent on this team, especially on defense.

But the club does not play together.

The practices are not rigorous and the players seem to be walking through them mentally each week.

That portion of it will only change when Zorn is gone.

I agree with Jimmy Johnson though that we have seen enough of Campbell to believe that he is best suited to being a #2 in the NFL.

And running backs tend to decline quickly - the watch on #26 needs to be there.

If 2010 is an uncapped year the Redskins need to evaluate Portis' long-term cap numbers, which could swamp the team and force Washington to strip down like San Francisco had to do at the start of the decade.

ARE at this point should be a depth receiver and should be removed from special teams, he's simply giving away too many points on muffs and never breaks any longer runs to set up field position.

guys we need to start:Orakpo (at DE), Wilson (at SLB), Jarmon, Kelly, Davis and Thomas.

Guys I'd like to see have more playing time: Tryon, HB Blades, Golston, Moore, Lorenzo Alexander, Marko Mitchell

guys we need to figure out if they belong here (ie we need to see them play more)- Rinehart, Edwin Williams, Kevin Barnes, Byron Westbrook, Robert Henson, Eddie Williams.

There's more but that's what I'm thinking now.

If the QB can't find the open receiver, it matters not who that receiver is, be it Thomas, Kelly or Mitchell.

Don't forget Marcus Mason and the kid on waivers from TN. Why not call up Woodson and give him some playing time.

The one position where I would be tempted to go with the veteran is at quarterback.

Todd Collins is more accurate and has a quicker release. I think he would be more able to handle the deficiencies in the OL if the playcalling changes to eliminate the seven step drops and long hook ups.

The Redskins are now going to have to depend upon getting receivers open in the short-intermediate range and hitting them in stride for RAC yardage.

If Portis can get any semblance of a rushing attack going, then Collins can use play action to hit Moss or Thomas down the field.

But Todd may very well be the quarterback that gives the team the best chance to not only win but develop/showcase the younger players we have on the roster.

Campbell's confidence IMO is shot.

Whether he recovers and goes on to be a more solid NFL qb down the road is an open question, but given recent history in the NFL it is more likely to be AFTER he is released by Washington and goes into a situation where less initially is expected of him.

Collins...Yes, please...Campbell has an ankle issue...Use that for a switch.

Thomas instead of ARE on punts. Or anybody...That is ridiculous.

I thought Mason was gonzo. Woodson looked like a disaster in preseason.
Put Rock in at back like last night. He gives better effort than Betts.
And I suppose Ganther although I bet he adds next to nothing when he finally plays.

Marko Mitchell, it would be great to see him...Not sure we can get him the ball that much though.

Vinny still thinks the skins can make the playoffs. The young guys will probably spend more time rotting on the sidelines for several more weeks.

At this point I would say Collins is the better option as well....if Campbell's mobility is limited, Collins should be the guy b/c neither QB will have much protection.

of course we all know that Cerrato's judgment can be trusted :laugh:

Andre Woodson looks a lot in terms of height, weight and arm like Jason Campbell. Also he appears to be a player that like Campbell has trouble with footwork and delivery.

I wonder why this player is on our practice squad if the team is running a WCO?

You know what I want to see? SOME young QB worth a damn. It's pretty obvious that Woodson is not that guy, from his time with the Giants and his short time with us.

I still question why the hell we released Chase Daniel despite him seemingly playing very well in the preseason.

the truth is Daniel didn't have NFL talent either, he was merely shorter and had less arm than the others, although he did have nice dancing feet :laugh:

the Redskins just like the Colts, Giants, Chargers, Falcons, Steelers, etc. have to go into the draft and find a franchise quarterback they can rebuild around.

the decision on whom that player is going to be has to be made by an NFL talent judge and not Dan Snyder's major domo, Vinny Cerrato.

ARE at this point should be a depth receiver and should be removed from special teams, he's simply giving away too many points on muffs and never breaks any longer runs to set up field position.
I agree with much of what you say BD. However, you're completely wrong that ARE never breaks any longer runs. He does break long runs all the time. I mean he generally gets tons of yardage on his returns. It just so happens that most of his yardage tends to be gained by running in circles and/or east-west.

20.gif
What? You say that doesn't help our field position any? No way, you have got to be kidding me. No? Oh well, nevermind then. :kick_can:

the truth is Daniel didn't have NFL talent either, he was merely shorter and had less arm than the others, although he did have nice dancing feet

I'm pretty sure I don't agree with you about this.

He always looked to be in control and seemed to make quick decisions - two things that I think that Mr. Campbell has always lacked in his time here.

But it doesn't matter anymore. Daniel's with the Saints, and he probably won't see the field for a few seasons at least with Brees there.

the truth is Daniel didn't have NFL talent either, he was merely shorter and had less arm than the others, although he did have nice dancing feet :laugh:

the Redskins just like the Colts, Giants, Chargers, Falcons, Steelers, etc. have to go into the draft and find a franchise quarterback they can rebuild around.

the decision on whom that player is going to be has to be made by an NFL talent judge and not Dan Snyder's major domo, Vinny Cerrato.

I think what the "brain"trust is going to have to do is decide which area gets a high draft pick applied to it.

Do we go "sure fire franchise QB" or do we wheel and deal for picks to rebuild the line.

IMO the line needs the attention. I'm not sure what vet QB's are in the final year of their contracts, but it seems to me we can get someone in here that can serve adaqutely while we rebuild the lines.

If we get a young kid from the draft in here and half ass the lines (again) the kid is gonna get killed, his confidence shot and he'll be runout of here in three years.

Keep in mind, even if we beef up the lines (and I have NO confidence bug eyes and turd blossom will go that route) it's gonna take them a couple of years to jell. Which means a couple of years of some QB running for his life.

I'm not even gonna talk about our reciever situation :frown2:

Sarge, you made me think of another perspective on this. The piecemeal way the F.O. has gone about "building" the team produces, I think, another problem.

There is no identifiable team image-it's difficult to know exactly what to look for because you don't have a style, or perhaps, a design that would tell you what the needs are. Supposedly the idea was to adopt some form of WCO but what constitutes the requisite pieces for a WCO was not addressed nor used as criteria for player selection therefore producing a mishmash of skills that, while maybe individually good, don't fit in a particular style of play or offensive scheme-or defensive scheme, for that matter.

Even a knowledgeable GM would have trouble deciding what to look for in a draftee or FA if he didn't know what the goal was in terms of a team identity-the type of football the team was trying to play.

Mason and Alridge are not NFL backs.

Neither is Betts or Cartwright from scrimmage.

And that's the problem for the Redskins.

There is no alternative to Portis right now and he knows that. So, he goes public with every complaint and rant.

Meanwhile, his body is already battered several soft games into the season.

I'm not even gonna talk about our reciever situation :frown2:

And please don't! There's allready a strong possiblity the FO attempts to fix the roster problems drafing WRs, RBs, DBs, etc.

You just have to laugh when you realize the Patriots solved their receiver problems by trading #4 and #2 picks for Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

Meanwhile the Redskins used THREE #2 picks on guys that so far in a season and a half haven't done squat.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.