• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Redskins could receive $27 million from league for stadium upgrades

BGO

One of the items on the table during the NFL owners’ meetings this week is a vote to approve $27 million in funds for a renovation to FedEx Field, the home of the Washington Redskins. According to Mark Maske of the Washington Post, the owners are expected to vote Tuesday over whether to provide league…
b.gif

More...

Anyone else had the thought that this offer might include a requirement to change the team name?

Didn't Snyder grow up a huge fan of the team? I would find it pretty hard to swallow if what you suggest turns out to be correct. Especially if the owner who has been a fan forever does it for a money grab.

THAT would probably piss me off as much as the whole ginned-up "controversy" does.

Anyone else had the thought that this offer might include a requirement to change the team name?

I don't think so. They've tried to put the commissioner on the spot, obama, and others and pretty much everyone gives a non-side-taking response.

I don't think anyone at that level really wants to deal with it. If anything I think this is may be a payback for the cap stuff.

The name change is about money. Nothing else.

Whatever group can get us/Redskins/NFL to admit to their idiotic notion, and change the name, will immediately follow with lawsuits, to get paid for all the years of their suffering.

It will not just be Snyder's nuts in the trap, either. The NFL, with it's revenue sharing, will share in any payout. They know it, too. It's why none of them want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

As to the 27mil? As much revenue as we generate for the league, it should be easily approved.

However, if the owners try to isolate Snyder, and insulate themselves, then Snyder should go full on, Bill Clinton scorched Earth on them, and burn the whole league to the ground.

Meh, I'd rather have the $36M the league bent us over for back.

Damn I hate Peter King for reigniting all this crap.

So, the league wants the team that it forced to be less competitive on the field to be so in a nicer venue?

The name change is about money. Nothing else.

Exactly. As always, follow the money trail. The Oneida leaders are nasty people. As mentioned in another thread, ask the residents and farm owners in upstate NY about the Oneida. It is not pretty. Harjo is all about the money too.

The Oneida people are based mostly in NY. Hint: Again, follow the money trail.

BB, if there are some particular Oneidans you don't like, that's cool. But, let's not do a blanket indictment of a whole group of folks, eh?

I tried that in the other thread and it didn't work, but I echo this sentiment.

27 million approved

Allen On NFL Owners Vote For Upgrades

Washington Redskins general manager Bruce Allen put out a statement from the NFL Owners Meeting with regards to the vote to approve upgrades to FedExField:

"We appreciate the NFL teams approving our continued plan on improving the fan experience at FedExField."

More info
Owners approve league funding toward FedEx Field renovations [updated]
NFL owners voted Tuesday to approve league funding for the Washington Redskins to cover a portion of a $27 million renovation of FedEx Field, two people familiar with the deliberations said.

The league’s funding will come in the form of a waiver of revenue contributions from club-seat premiums that the Redskins normally would have to make to other teams and the league, said the people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the owners’ approval of the funding for the Redskins’ renovation had not yet been announced.

It was not immediately clear how much of the $27 million total cost of the FedEx Field renovation will be covered by the league’s funding. Under league rules, the money that the Redskins keep from their club-seat waiver must go toward the renovation.

A person familiar with the situation had said Monday that the FedEx Field renovation includes Wi-Fi, seating modifications, ribbon boards (a form of stadium signage) and a Hall of Fame expansion.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and General Manager Bruce Allen attended Tuesday’s owner’ meeting at a downtown Washington hotel but were not immediately available to comment.

Update, 2:13 p.m.
“We appreciate the NFL teams approving our continued plan on improving the fan experience at FedEx Field,” Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen said in a written statement released through a team spokesman.

The team confirmed that the stadium renovations will include Wi-Fi and digital signage but declined to specify what seating modifications will be made or to provide further details.

The Redskins said through a spokesman that Allen and Snyder would not be available for further comment Tuesday.

hell yeah, wifi. sounds stupid and silly but it's impossible to get a good, reliable signal in that stadium (at least on Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T, maybe other networks work better.) I'm a little skeptical how they're going to design a system that adequately supports 85k people, considering that's what the problem with the cell networks was (overloading.) but we'll see.

i hope the seat modifications include removing the obstructed view seats, but i seriously doubt it. those things are just a terrible black eye on this organization in my opinion. when i had the tour a few months ago they were saying the seats in throughout the stadium were in bad shape and being replaced, i'm betting that's what it'll be. :\

Espn980 is reporting for its not 27 million from the league, but that the planned renovations are 27 million and the league is reimbursing part of it by providing a waiver for the amount the redskins would owe on club seats to the league for revenue sharing. I didn't catch how much the waiver was for, or it hasn't been disclosed.

Anyone have the feeling we will be watching them play on artificial turf next year?

I don't think so. They've tried to put the commissioner on the spot, obama, and others and pretty much everyone gives a non-side-taking response.

I don't think anyone at that level really wants to deal with it. If anything I think this is may be a payback for the cap stuff.

That was my thought as well. And while I guess it's a nice gesture, I'd rather they restore the competitive balance.

I wouldn't mind some of those giant awnings that would bounce the crowd noise back to the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.