• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Orakpo, Rob Jackson, and the offseason

What is your view on Orakpo, after the season ?

• Orkapo is fine, and should be re-signed, and not be replaced.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Jackson is good enough to replace Orakpo

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Orakpo should be replaced, but by someone on the roster besides Jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orakpo should be replaced by someone who is not currently on our roster.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FTS, you have too much time on your hands !

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
Agreed Miles!

In this case, I have not voted because I'm not to sure that I don't want to see the team try to move him for a draft pick before the trading deadline and that isn't an option. Have not made up my mind about it yet though.

Agreed, I'd be happy with a pick, but I view that as replacing him with Jackson, so that's how I voted. I doubt we'd draft his replacement, so the pick would get used elsewhere.

Last edited:
Orakpo and Davis are the only ones left that were drafted by vinny right?

if we loser rak and dont get a decent draft pick for him I will be campaigning for shanny to be fired immediately afterwards.

What do you consider a good pick for a guy that was injured the last two seasons, and is average in production ? WE could get nothing if we go in a direction other then him and he hits the FA market at the end of the season. If you were a team that wanted him, what would offer ?

What do you consider a good pick for a guy that was injured the last two seasons, and is average in production ? WE could get nothing if we go in a direction other then him and he hits the FA market at the end of the season. If you were a team that wanted him, what would offer ?

We are not gonna get any compensation for him. It's just going to be another draft pick with such potential that ends up having a promising few years in the league and then he falls off the radar.

We are not gonna get any compensation for him. It's just going to be another draft pick with such potential that ends up having a promising few years in the league and then he falls off the radar.

Yes yes... I know that.:beatnik: That's why I had to ask Ryman what he was expecting.

It's a shame, considering how many members we have, that more don't vote in the polls. It just doesn't serve as a gauge as to what the fans think with so few involved.

I figured this would be a good time to bump this thread, since some people didn't vote, and perhaps were waiting it out.

Last edited:
sorry all...I THINK YOU'RE NUTS!!!!

getting rid of Rak is not a good idea on many levels..IMO:

- you don't waste first round picks

- Hazlett claims Rak is excellent against the run and plays well in pass pro. I think we all focus too much on one metric (sacks) and discount the other stuff too quickly.

- Rob Jackson? pfffft. the ONLY advantage he has over Rak is he is cheaper. Jackson/Kerrigan is less of a threat for opposing OC's than Rak/Kerrigan

- we have no real replacement for Rak. we'll end spending draft picks/FA money looking for a suitable replacement sooner rather than later.

the only credible argument I have heard is cost. Rak isn't all pro...but on a defense that sucks as it is...getting rid of a capable player who is highly team oriented strikes me as just another bullet in the foot. we have much bigger problem areas on defense.

Well, now that it looks like we "should" be moving back to the 4-3, I am all for re-signing Orakpo. But if we stay in the 3-4, let him go!

Keim said this morning that the coaches refused to let Orakpo move to various rush positions up and down the line as other rushers like Ware and Hali are allowed to do and this has kept his numbers down.

Based on the demonstrated incompetence of Shanahan in trying to assemble a defense here and in Denver, we should not write off anyone on D until the new coach is hired and evaluates the team.

Keim said this morning that the coaches refused to let Orakpo move to various rush positions up and down the line as other rushers like Ware and Hali are allowed to do and this has kept his numbers down.

Based on the demonstrated incompetence of Shanahan in trying to assemble a defense here and in Denver, we should not write off anyone on D until the new coach is hired and evaluates the team.

That's fine, but Orakpo is in a unique situation. He's going to demand top dollar and someone is likely to give it to him.

The question isn't whether or not we want Orakpo, the question is whether or not we want to pay top dollar for him.

Between his injuries and his uncanny ability to disappear when it matters most but show up big when it matters least makes me not want to pay for him to be back.

so...let's just let him go gratis to the Gints! I'm sure he'll suck in that system.
As I said earlier in the thread, my real fear is that we over pay to keep him. He'll be looking for a nice pay day... the all pro type, and he's not at that level. I don't have anything against the guy, I just don't buy into the media hype, and the word of Hazlet. Now, with the coaching changes to come, if we switch back to a 4 3, he's far more valuable as a rushing end. He could actually live up to his billing, as his best season was as a traditional DE. He's also missed time in the last three seasons due to injury, and availability is everything.

I've been saying it since the first game Jackson played - Orakpo is our new Laron Landry. Sure, he can do great and make you forget that he gets hurt all the time, but when he's out, you realize his replacement is just as solid, and he costs nowhere near as much as keeping the starter. I say get rid of Orakpo, I've said it for a while now. It seems like all of these over-muscled guys with high potential never live up to it, because they stay injured, and cost us millions we can't afford to waste.

I've been saying it since the first game Jackson played - Orakpo is our new Laron Landry. Sure, he can do great and make you forget that he gets hurt all the time, but when he's out, you realize his replacement is just as solid, and he costs nowhere near as much as keeping the starter. I say get rid of Orakpo, I've said it for a while now. It seems like all of these over-muscled guys with high potential never live up to it, because they stay injured, and cost us millions we can't afford to waste.

Except for the part, where our replacement for Landry is "just as solid" LOL

Yeah, but think about it.....it's not hard to be as solid or better than someone who missed more games than he played. Having someone mediocre all the time is better than having someone who plays 1 out of every 8 games and dazzles in that one game.

Well, the Redskins lack of impact players on the DL and defense overall hurts Orakpo, as does reports of him being used in ways that did not maximize what he can do.

In discussing Orakpo Howie Long said correctly that an offense can scheme to limit any one player on defense if there are no other playmakers.

I am not saying we need to commit $50M to Brian to keep him off the market, but the new coach needs to have a chance to look at the defense and evaluate how Brian COULD be used in concert with the front office guys to reach an intelligent decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.