• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Joe Gibbs Could be Taking a Tuna-Style Role in D.C.

Lanky Livingston

As the Washington Redskins continue to quickly unravel, the man who delivered the team's only three Super Bowl trophies could soon be coming back.

Again.

There's a rumor making the rounds that two-time former head coach Joe Gibbs could be returning in a role similar to the one occupied by Bill Parcells in Miami. Gibbs would be responsible for hiring a G.M. and a head coach, and otherwise stabilizing the franchise without grinding away as a head coach.

-----
click link for rest of article.

This could be a move that could bring instant credibility back to the organization. Vinny would still need to go of course, and real GM would still need to be put in place, but it would be a big step.

Joe seems to be the only guy who can keep Dan in line.

Snyder: “I want to be called Mr. Snyder by everyone in this organization.”
Coach Joe: “That’s nice Dan. Will you go to your office and sign the checks please?”
Snyder: “......Yes”
Coach Joe: “Yes?”
Snyder: “Yes sir.”

I was kinda wondering if something like this would happen, especially from the reports a couple of weeks ago that the danny was having dinner with Gibbs

My only concern with this is that Gibbs was out of the game for more than a decade the first time and has now been out again for almost 2 years. Does he have the info on the available GM candidates and possible up and comers at Head Coach to be really effective in a Parsells type role?

The Tuna never really left the NFL. Even in the years he didn't coach or work in someone's Front Office he worked in TV on NFL shows so he was always connected in some way. Gibbs went to a completely different sport.

That is not to say that I would not welcome this move...I would. Joe certainly can't do any worse than the people in charge now and he brings a level of credibility that will take Danny decades to earn, if he even can at this point. Gibbs is also a very shrewd judge of character which would likely serve him well in this role. It could also be argued that he did a better job of assembling a defensive staff out of today's NFL coaches than he did an offensive staff out of yesterday's coaches.

I just hope if this happens it is more than the Danny using Gibbs rep to hide behind.

but he wasnt a good coach this time around. it was clear he slowed down a bit and the game had sped up. you put him up in the overseer spot and he can not only run things like they should be but he is one of the only people I know that can back Snyder off

Eh...I think its becoming more and more clear that Gibbs got the most out of this team. He took us to the playoffs twice, getting one victory. Yeah, he made some coaching mistakes, but its still unclear (at least to me) who's lap the awful personnel decisions fall into. Offensively, anyway - Archuleta was all Gregg Williams.

mmmm...Tuna roll. I had some good sushi last weekend. Sorry, got distracted. It's hard to keep interested when your team sucks harder than the black hole at the center of the galaxy.

So he would be picking a GM, not acting as one? The Redskins management could certainly use some stability. But at this point it's too little, too late for this season.

My only concern with this is that Gibbs was out of the game for more than a decade the first time and has now been out again for almost 2 years. Does he have the info on the available GM candidates and possible up and comers at Head Coach to be really effective in a Parsells type role?

The Tuna never really left the NFL. Even in the years he didn't coach or work in someone's Front Office he worked in TV on NFL shows so he was always connected in some way. Gibbs went to a completely different sport.

That is not to say that I would not welcome this move...I would. Joe certainly can't do any worse than the people in charge now and he brings a level of credibility that will take Danny decades to earn, if he even can at this point. Gibbs is also a very shrewd judge of character which would likely serve him well in this role. It could also be argued that he did a better job of assembling a defensive staff out of today's NFL coaches than he did an offensive staff out of yesterday's coaches.

I just hope if this happens it is more than the Danny using Gibbs rep to hide behind.

Let's see

Joe

Vinny

Joe

Vinny

One guesses as to who I'd pick

If Joe can't get the right folks in here, then I'll concede that the witch that stunted danny's growth also cursed the team forever

Joe Gibbs is everything that Dan Snyder is not. He is also probably the only person that Snyder respects and would listen to. Gibbs return would immediately improve the lot of possible GM and Head Coaching prospects that would be willing to join the organization.

If Gibbs as President would be allowed to have the final decision making power on hiring at those levels, leaving only the financial side of the business to Snyder, then I'm in.

But, that's an awfully big "if".

I think Vinny could still have a role like scouting international players.

Joe Gibbs is everything that Dan Snyder is not. He is also probably the only person that Snyder respects and would listen to. Gibbs return would immediately improve the lot of possible GM and Head Coaching prospects that would be willing to join the organization.

If Gibbs as President would be allowed to have the final decision making power on hiring at those levels, leaving only the financial side of the business to Snyder, then I'm in.

But, that's an awfully big "if".

I respect and love Joe Gibbs! He not only won while he was here, but he won with respect. He was interested in building up his players. He was the only one who seemingly could handle Danny Boy's ego and he did squeeze blood from a turnip in his second tenure.

You are right Chris, he would bring some respect to this organization increasing the chances of snagging a quality GM and coach. And he will always be linked to the hearts of Redskins' everywhere.

But my question is, when do we move on? The Steelers had to move on from Chuck Noll and are winning. The Cowboys moved past the Landry days with great success in the 90's. The Giants moved past the Big Tuna years and are doing fine without him.

Gibbs is a band-aid. He was during the four years he came back. As soon as he left Danny Boy jumped all over the chance to dip his fingers in the batter again and look where that left us.

Is Joe Gibbs capable of keeping Danny in line? Yes! But how long will he be here before he moves on and Danny jumps right back into the decision making tearing down the very foundation Gibbs built?

Last edited:
This could be a move that could bring instant credibility back to the organization. Vinny would still need to go of course, and real GM would still need to be put in place, but it would be a big step.

Coach Joe: “That’s nice Dan. Will you go to your office and sign the checks please?”

Pretty good, except Joe would call him Daniel. :)

I agree with Elephant though. As big a fan as I am of Joe Gibbs, and as much as I'd think bringing him back in an executive capacity would improve things over what we've got now, it's really time to move on. Bringing Gibbs in to run things would still be the splashy move. A band-aid on a larger problem. Snyder needs to get past the big names, and unfortunately, I think that includes Gibbs.

I think Vinny could still have a role like scouting international players.

The only two places I would allow Vinny to scout are Antarctica and Greenland....and he would have to spend 6 months a year in each.

Like the article said, "this makes too much sense to happen". Wishful thinking, but don't bet the farm on this one. My guess is Gibbs stays and does NASCAR only.

I wouldn't mind Vinny as an international scout. Send him to Mongolia.

I wouldn't mind Vinny as an international scout. Send him to Mongolia.
Uh, that may not be such a great idea.

This came from scouting reports during the 2001 NFL Draft.

Rdszka "Risky" Klkvkzka (6' 7"; 370 pounds)
School: Mongolian Technical Institute at Ulan Bator.
Position: tight end; defensive linebacker;
groundskeeper at Soldiers, Workers & Peasants' Vanguard Stadium

Strengths/Weaknesses: Every year the draft has a "raw talent project" that has the scouts gaping at pure athletic ability. Klkvkzka's impressive statistics include 2-percent body fat on his mammoth physique, a bench press of 875 pounds and a time in the 40-yard dash just under 4.5!!! "Risky" was discovered by Harry "Scoots" Belsto, one of the NFL's premier scouts while he vacationed in Inner Mongolia. Klkvkzka has never actually played football, does not speak English and has no knowledge of Western culture. While attending Mongolia Tech, where he is majoring in tractor dynamics, Klkvkzka also raises yaks in People's Agri-District No. 7, near the provincial capital, Ukk-ata Ubuur-ktakkh. Despite his gridiron prowess, getting Klkvkzka to focus on the game could be a problem as he is wont to pine for the grassy high plateau of his homeland where yak herding is said to be "his first love."

Analysis: While acknowledging there will be "some minor hurdles to overcome," Belsto enthusiastically claims "Hey, if this guy can wrestle a 1,300-pound yak into a little red ****tail dress, and I've seen him do it, he sure as hell can knock Donovan McNabb on his butt!" The league is reportedly not sure what to make of this comment and is currently studying the situation.

Probable Round: 7th

http://www.uncertaintypark.com/Archives_01-02/nfl_draft_010409.htm

Coach Joe: “That’s nice Dan. Now go iron my shirt and make me one of those...I think the kids call them <cackling in trademarked Gibbs fashion> "sammiches" these days.”
I often wondered how the personal interaction between Gibbs and Snyder went. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I envisioned something along those lines but seeing it in print like that, classic!! I 'bout busted a gut. :laugh2: I couldn't resist making one small change though. :)

I respect and love Joe Gibbs! He not only won while he was here, but he won with respect. He was interested in building up his players. He was the only one who seemingly could handle Danny Boy's ego and he did squeeze blood from a turnip in his second tenure.

You are right Chris, he would bring some respect to this organization increasing the chances of snagging a quality GM and coach. And he will always be linked to the hearts of Redskins' everywhere.

But my question is, when do we move on? The Steelers had to move on from Chuck Noll and are winning. The Cowboys moved past the Landry days with great success in the 90's. The Giants moved past the Big Tuna years and are doing fine without him.

Gibbs is a band-aid. He was during the four years he came back. As soon as he left Danny Boy jumped all over the chance to dip his fingers in the batter again and look where that left us.

Is Joe Gibbs capable of keeping Danny in line? Yes! But how long will he be here before he moves on and Danny jumps right back into the decision making tearing down the very foundation Gibbs built?
The two posts above probably sum up where I am with this move, nevermind that it seems not to be on the table anyway.

I'd be thrilled to have Gibbs back with the team because, well, he's Joe Gibbs, I love the guy and he knows a heck of a lot about the game/league. Sure he's been away for a while. However, we wouldn't be asking him to coach or even evaluate player personnel. Rather, in picking a team GM, we'd be asking him to do what he's probably always been best at, establishing a team identity, setting the tone, and evaluating character, heart and ultimately, what makes a person tick.

Anyone that's ever worked in HR can tell you that interviews are the least accurate judge of a candidate's abilities. Furthermore, Gibbs is the one of the few people Snyder can't push around. Therefore, I think he's uniquely qualified for such a position with us and would be a great addition to the F.O.

OTOH, as has been pointed out, Gibbs is getting older and thus might only be a short-term band-aid fix for a F.O. in serious need of a lobotomy...for starters. Also I think Gibbs endured enough due to his lack of success in his second stint and the (mostly) unfair and misplaced criticism from our fans that came along with it. Gibbs 2.0 tarnished his legacy, even if only slightly. I'd hate to see that legacy sustain even more damage from another effort to save this team from itself (i.e. Snyder).

Last edited:
Hold on folks.

Reading the full link a source 'close' to Gibbs doubts the former coach would come back to the Redskins......except in a very limited role and IF the money was potentially lucrative.

That last statement doesn't make me feel warm inside.

Sounds like another 'free agent' looking to get paid.

This team needs the 1981 Gibbs that is ambitious and working for more than money.

We need a GM and Team President that feel they have something to prove in re winning in the league.

Gibbs is no longer hungry.

Time to move on from the past.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I don't know that I buy that BD. If all it was about was money, Microsoft would have stopped growing once Bill Gates got rich. It is about money for a lot of folks. However, for the truly driven, and I'd be hard pressed to classify coach Gibbs any other way, I think the money is secondary.

If Gibbs wants to get paid, good for him. In fact, I'd think he'd deserve a substantial ownership stake since the value of the team has either already taken a hit, or is headed towards it. If Gibbs did accept the position, he'd have a good bit of work to do up front just to get this shipwreck of a team turned away from the iceberg and back up to the level of mediocrity we've grown accustomed to under Snyder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.