• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

RI: Redskins audible: Smith will now relay Lewis's plays

Chris

Ring of Fame
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Lewis to Smith to Campbell, oh my.

There aren't going to be enough timeouts in the world for this.

Click here for complete article.

The team's new play-calling procedure already has been revised.

Coach Jim Zorn, stripped of play-calling duties after the Redskins' most recent loss, initially said Sherman Lewis would work in the coaches' box and communicate the plays to Zorn on the sideline through their headsets, and that Zorn then would relay the calls to quarterback Jason Campbell.

After practice, however, Zorn announced a new plan that includes offensive coordinator Sherman Smith. With Lewis up in the box, Smith will move to the field and relay the plays to Campbell while he's receiving them from Lewis. Although Zorn has been completely eliminated from the process, he also will hear the plays on his headset.

"I'll be walking around," Zorn said. "I'll be listening to what's going on. I'm not going to be calling what's going on."

Not surprisingly, players have expressed skepticism about the process, especially considering Lewis, who came out of retirement about two weeks ago, is unfamiliar with the Redskins' personnel, running game, pass-protection schemes and blitz pick-up packages.

Other than that, Lewis is well-versed in the Redskins' offense.

"That's one thing we're going to work on - trying to get the plays in and out of the huddle faster," Campbell said. "There will probably be a couple plays I'll have in my head - just in case for some reason if it doesn't get in on time - [so] we can keep the tempo up and keep moving. There will be some things we'll have to adjust to a little bit, and getting plays in faster will have to be one of them because now it comes through one more person."

Last edited:
In another change - team officials confirmed today that Zorn will be able to speak to players during the game, but that it will be Greg Blache's voice that will be broadcast out of his mouth should the need for him to communicate arise.

Could you imagine Zorn having to send in Lewis's plays to the qb?

The Washington Redskins Organization- adding insult to injury since 1999.

They're really pissing me off now. Zorn may not be getting the job done - but you hired him, knowing he had no coaching resume - and he's a good man. He doesn't deserve what's being done to him. Snyder and Cerrato are going to find out the hard way that they will not recover their reputations after this season.

Ever.

this is all much ado about nothing.

a new guy is signalling in the same plays to the same quarterback who is then going to depend upon the same teammates to execute them.

the results won't be any different.

and we think another coach is going to want to come to THIS?!!

damn...I'm even starting to get a little discouraged. I so need a strong MNF showing from my boys.

Right on, Mike. As sad as it would be for Zorn, we really need our team to play better the rest of the season so another coach can look at the talent and figure he can win with it. Hopefully, he won't have Vinny to deal with.

this is all much ado about nothing.

a new guy is signalling in the same plays to the same quarterback who is then going to depend upon the same teammates to execute them.

the results won't be any different.

It will be worse bulldog.
Remember Gibbs/Saunders.....how many delay of game penalties did the Skins suffer during that.

Expect Campbell/Collins to hold his hands up and motion "what's the play?". And of course, with the clock almost at zero, the Skins won't be able to audible or make any blocking adjustments at the line. Either that, or we'll have all of our timeouts gone on the first drive.

Thought this offense couldn't get any worse? Wait till you see this cluster**** debut on Monday.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm guessing I won't be.

Great Job Danny and Vinny.......:moon:

It's not like Zorn was getting the plays in quickly. I noticed a few times when the camera was on him that he appeared to be chatting with JC or thinking before he would call in a play. As though he never thought about the upcoming play call before hand. And the strange thing about that is that I've heard him say he scripts the first 15 plays of both halfs. We barely run more plays than that recently.

I'm expecting JC to give a Jeff George like performance by calling his own plays at some point. Especially if Lewis doesn't call many deep balls. JC finally appears to know that his back is to the wall when it comes to getting a decent contract in the offseason.

In another change - team officials confirmed today that Zorn will be able to speak to players during the game, but that it will be Dan Snyder's voice that will be broadcast out of his mouth should the need for him to communicate arise.

Sorry, plan changed again this morning;)

Last edited by a moderator:
They are trying to humiliate Zorn into resigning. If he fires him, Snyder owes him something like $9 Million in guaranteed money, but he forfeits most of that if he quits.

Hang in there Zorn! Get paid!

In another change - team officials confirmed today that Zorn will be able to speak to players during the game, but that it will be Greg Blache's voice that will be broadcast out of his mouth should the need for him to communicate arise.

Correction, Jerry Gray's voice, Blache has ceased communication. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.