• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Hall of Famer Largent supports Zorn

Sarge

Shocking. Not

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/5308/hall-of-famer-largent-supports-zorn

Hall of Famer Steve Largent described Redskins coach Jim Zorn as his daily confidant before blasting team owner Daniel Snyder and the organization during an interview with Mitch Levy of KJR radio in Seattle.

Among the highlights:
Largent called Snyder's decision to name Sherm Lewis playcaller "a joke" and an embarrassment for the organization.
Largent said he thought Snyder revoked play-calling duties in an effort to force Zorn to resign.

Sounds like Largent has said what a lot of us have been saying.

My key quote:

"but they went to the point of pulling out his contract and saying, 'You have got to do whatever the owner tells you to do.' ...I think what Daniel Snyder was trying to do was to force Jim to resign so he was not liable for his contract any longer. And Jim is just not going to do that."

This is pathetic.

Zorn may deserve to get fired but he certainly doesn't deserve this. I hope he holds out and makes Danny fire him. Heck, he might as well go out with a bang and just override the playcalls whenever he feels it's necessary and refuse to take any messages from the owners box until the game is over.

It will be interesting to see what Zorn has to say about Danny and Vinny AFTER he's fired. I think we'll all be munching popcorn as that unfolds.

based on these contract stipulations, you really have to wonder if the FO expected this to happen and they just set up Zorn for a fall?

You guys sure Snyder was a Redskins fan growing up? He seems to do nothing but find ways to make this organization worse.

Largent is right that the process is flawed but only in a situation with a process this dysfunctional would Jim Zorn at age 54 be elevated from position coach to Head Coach with no stops in between.

Steve is going to defend his friend, but in this case Jimmy Johnson is right that Zorn is lost and in so far over his head he doesn't even see the crest of the next wave that is about to hit him.

I don't really think that gets to the point of Largent's comments thought Bulldog. Yeah, you're correct, pointing to the talent as the root cause of the Redskins woes, when clearly, Zorn's coaching and play-calling is at least equally to blame (if not a root cause of our failures) is just blind friendship.

But his other comments, implying that the Redskins will never win with the current approach and the classlessness of an owner who just doesn't get it, are dead on.

I don't really think that gets to the point of Largent's comments thought Bulldog. Yeah, you're correct, pointing to the talent as the root cause of the Redskins woes, when clearly, Zorn's coaching and play-calling is at least equally to blame (if not a root cause of our failures) is just blind friendship.

But his other comments, implying that the Redskins will never win with the current approach and the classlessness of an owner who just doesn't get it, are dead on.

Yeah. I just find it hard to listen to an ex-congressmen turned lobbyist defend the guy he crossed picket lines with. Ever since I heard that these two were the only ones to cross the lines for Seattle in '82, I couldn't help but think about Gibbs telling the '87 team that no matter what they did, they should do it as a team. Always made me think that Zorn would never get true leadership.

Sorry for digressing.

Zorn considered resigning over play-calling

Longtime friend says coach was given ultimatum; Redskins deny trying to force Zorn out

By Rick Maese and Jason Reid
Thursday, October 22, 2009

Washington Redskins Coach Jim Zorn considered resigning Sunday night after team management told him he must relinquish his play-calling responsibilities or lose his job, former congressman Steve Largent, a longtime friend of Zorn's, said Wednesday.

"They went to the point of pulling out his contract and said, 'You have to do whatever the owner tells you to do,' " Largent told KJR radio in Seattle. "His choice was either to resign or to continue on under the current scenario."

Contacted by telephone later in the day, Largent said it was his opinion -- not Zorn's -- that the Redskins were trying to force him to step down. "Jim isn't going to do that. Jim isn't a quitter," Largent said.

Three people who said they were familiar with Zorn's conversations gave a similar version of what happened. They requested that their names not be used because of the sensitive nature of Zorn's status with the Redskins.

Click on the link for the full article

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.