• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mason, Aldridge cut, OT Levi Jones signed

Well, they got 1 out of 3 right...but I wonder why Levi Jones has been without a team for so long. He was the one (I think) that got in a fight with Joey Porter and his entourage in Vegas...maybe he has a bad attitude?

This also showed up on Rich Tandler's Real Redskins site. Just in case it turns out to be true, I did some digging on Jones, mostly to find out why the Bengals cut him loose. I found a blurb about it on NFL Fanhouse-makes for...um....interesting reading.

Jones, an eight-year pro, has made 89 starts since he the Bengals made him a first-round draft choice in 2002. By cutting Jones, the Bengals face a salary cap hit of about $500,000. Jones was expected to make about $3 million this season.

Jones' agent didn't return a phone call seeking comment.

The Bengals were done with Jones when he requested a trade last spring, but he remained with the team and started the first 10 games of the 2008 season before suffering a leg injury that put him on IR.

In last month's draft, the Bengals selected Alabama tackle Andre Smith, with the hopes he will take over for Jones and reduce the number of sacks allowed last season.

Bengals quarterbacks were sacked 51 times last season, third most in the NFL

I found the last two paragraphs kinda interesting.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/06/bengals-move-on-cut-levi-jones/

Yes, Lanky he was.

Last edited:
Fun fact: Levi Jones walked onto the ASU football team - he was there on an academic scholarship. So at least he's a smart dude...

He can't be any worse than what we have now...

Another fun fact: Apparently there are vids of the Las Vegas tussle that seem to show Porter was acting out and punched Jones for some reason or other. Porter pleaded guily to misdemeanor battery and was fined $1,000 and docked 3 paychecks for his actions-so Mr. Jones may not have been the instigator here.

He can't be any worse than what we have now...
Exactly. Can't be worse than Batiste.

EDIT: Also wanted to add how much I love how, even in utter misery, we still as a fan base break news seconds from when the truth hits. Less than an hour from a cell phone in DC, I now know what's up in Richmond, while at work. Gotta love grass roots reporting from a rabid fan base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Runyun still out there as well?

Yeah, but I read somewhere that Runyan turned down a contract offer from a certain NFC East team. I can't IMAGINE what team he turned down, lol.

This puts to rest the Cerrato double talk about having OT depth.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

And possibly gives Danny wiggle-room to grab a 1st round QB and a flashy skill position in the 2nd despite having a more than usual density of OT's coming out.

Throw the dogs a bone, so to speak.

Jones is better than what we currently have so that's good.

Yet, it's still just putting a band aid on a arterial bleed.

And if Snyder is dumb enough to think we don't need an entire new O-line, he will never get it.

I wonder if Mason and Aldrige were cut because they are of little use in ST coverage?

Runyan was a guy I mentioned before the season. He's getting close to the end of the line and wasn't worth a huge contract but still. He was coming off a shoulder operation (i think). My understanding was he would have been ready to go by the start of the season.

He worked in a WCO in Philly too. Of course they replaced John with a younger talented player in Philly and never looked back. What a concept.

It also very much pulls the Samuels situation to the front. I am guessing Vinny would have been willing to get through a couple of games with Chris on the sidelines. This makes me believe we are definitely looking at a season ender in the minimum and very possibly a career ender. Tough to take.

Did anyone hear Mason's comments after being cut? The little guy is BITTER.

Did anyone hear Mason's comments after being cut? The little guy is BITTER.

This is more than likely the end of the line for him. Dreams die hard. Big dreams die harder.

It's got to be tough to good but not good enough. I wish him luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.