• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Home Maintenance needed

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
*** Initial problem has been resolved. Now using the thread for ongoing topics on this subject ***

Only I am the one seeking help, not offering it.
Pardon me, but I know nothing about refrigerators. And that's where my problem lies. Hoping there are some handy-men out there.
I have a mini-fridge, that builds up excessive frost in the freezer section without stopping, until it extends outward, and pushes the freezer flap open. As a result the freezer temperature drops, from the lack of air-temp containment, and then freezer food that is supposed to be kept frozen, ends up spoiling.

It also will continue to extend out to where it affects the seal of the main door to the fridge, causing the door fail to seal, which then causes the fridge portion to drop temps, and the fridge food spoils, if I'm not closely monitoring the situation.

So, how do I stop this mountain of frost from accumulating ?
The only setting in the fridge is a dial, with a red button in the middle of it.
I have the dial set at the highest setting. And it needs to be there, as any lower setting will cause the fridge to go too warm.
But I'm not sure what the red button does, or if it's relevant. When I push it in, it seems to randomly pop out.
I am renting, so I don't have the owner's manual to the fridge. And the owner/landlord is as clueless as I am. So can anyone tell me how to stop the ice buildup, to prevent it from bulging out both the freezer door and the fridge door, and spoiling my food ?
Could not find a helpful or relevant answer on Google.

Last edited:
Check the seal on the door, or you are opening the door very often and humid air is often entering it. Defrosting it once and a while helps. Open the door less. Turn the freezer down or off if your not using it or want to avoid the problem altogether. The red button is a breaker/reset switch.

I think those mini fridges, especially the older ones, just have that problem. Not much you can do without replacing it altogether. Is that an option? Just tell your landlord its crap and needs to be replaced. That's the main good thing about renting!

It sounds like you will need to go the old fashioned route and periodically defrost the entire unit. It may be unavoidable to have the frost build up, so just nip it when it starts to get bad.

out of curiosity how long does it take for the frost to get to the point that it causes problems?

All mini fridges do this constantly. It doesn't matter whether it's old or new, cheap or expensive. It's just something they all do.

The reason? All food and drink contains water. Just as when you heat these things up, water vapor is also produced when you freeze things. That's where the excessive moisture comes from, and builds up rapidly in a mini fridge, because it is in a far more condensed space.

The only cure? Make like 1950 and defrost your fridge weekly.

I have a mini-freezer that is frost free. Get one of those.

out of curiosity how long does it take for the frost to get to the point that it causes problems?

I think it's about a couple months. I guess that gives me enough time to manually defrost it, it's just that I forget to monitor it, and by the time I realize it, it's too late, and find my food spoiled. And being on a budget, that hurts.

Good question. Also, is it in direct sunlight or a warmer than normal area?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Not really. It's underneath a countertop. Although the temperature is slightly warm and humid indoors.

All mini fridges do this constantly. It doesn't matter whether it's old or new, cheap or expensive. It's just something they all do.

The reason? All food and drink contains water. Just as when you heat these things up, water vapor is also produced when you freeze things. That's where the excessive moisture comes from, and builds up rapidly in a mini fridge, because it is in a far more condensed space.

The only cure? Make like 1950 and defrost your fridge weekly.

I guess another thing that would help is make sure I don't put wet items in the fridge or freezer ?

I have a mini-freezer that is frost free. Get one of those.

Hoping the landlord agrees :)

I've seen plenty of mini-fridges that don't have a frost problem. Its common, but mostly on older units. Its probably a sealing issue like others have said, which is how the moisture gets in, which means the door needs to be replaced, or just replace the entire unit.

You can probably replace the seal for a cheap trip to the hardware store if that is the problem.

On another topic - does anyone have any knowledge or experience in hooking up a washing machine to a sink, as opposed to conventional washer connections, for the water source ?
Will it work on any washer, and any sink ?
What are the necessities, and how difficult is it ?

It's for a place that I'm moving into, so I don't know that.
Whether or not I move in, kind of depends on whether this doable or not. So, I guess I should ask the owner about that, huh

Well it can be done, it's just a question of what kind of work and how much. Have you done plumbing before? If not, do you have a friend that has? You can certainly do it yourself the first time just using online tutorials (there are tons) but I find it easier to have someone help you the first time.

If they say it's flexible pipe ask if it's pex (white pipe) or pb (polybutalyne or how ever you spell it, gray pipe.) pex is awesome and easy to use. Pb is easy to use too but you only find that in houses 15-20 years old because, while easy to work with its awful and bursts in walls and they don't make it anymore. I know this because it's what my house has :\

If not then you may be looking at using a blow torch and acid for copper, or something else.

None of it is hard, they all just require different methods and therefore different tools.

The other question is does the sink have a garbage disposal? If not you'll want to at least consider installing one or buying a dishwasher that has one.

Sorry, not much help here. My wife did not marry "Tim the Tool Man". I know cars, but beyond that I know my limitations.

Well it can be done, it's just a question of what kind of work and how much. Have you done plumbing before? If not, do you have a friend that has? You can certainly do it yourself the first time just using online tutorials (there are tons) but I find it easier to have someone help you the first time.

If they say it's flexible pipe ask if it's pex (white pipe) or pb (polybutalyne or how ever you spell it, gray pipe.) pex is awesome and easy to use. Pb is easy to use too but you only find that in houses 15-20 years old because, while easy to work with its awful and bursts in walls and they don't make it anymore. I know this because it's what my house has :\

If not then you may be looking at using a blow torch and acid for copper, or something else.

None of it is hard, they all just require different methods and therefore different tools.

The other question is does the sink have a garbage disposal? If not you'll want to at least consider installing one or buying a dishwasher that has one.

I was under the impression, that all you needed was a hose, and certain fittings/connections to attach the hose to the sink faucet ?
From what you're describing, it's not that simple, but sounds like it needs to go further and beyond that. Is that right ?

The best way to do this is to first find someone with some knowledge of what they're doing so you don't ultimately end up needing to call a plumber anyway. Running it off of the sink directly at the faucet is doable, and they do sell connectors for it, but it will become a pain in the ass rather quickly.

The best way to run it from the sink, is to go underneath the sink, cut off the water at the knob, then install a diverter with shut off valves just like you would do on a hose bib. Then you run your sink line right back up to the sink, and another line to your washer.

The biggest issue with all of this, of course, is the water pressure problem you will encounter. The water line to the washer hookup is almost always routed directly from the water supply or it's the first stop from the water heater. Because of this, your washer water connection will always have the most water pressure in the house. Since water pressure drops a little more at each additional connection, and kitchen sinks aren't near the top of the list in order, the kitchen sink usually ends up being one of the weakest pressure points in the house. Add yet another connection from there, and the pressure will be even less.

So while it will work, you have to be patient if you do it, because it's gonna take a lot longer for your washer to fill up.

All that being said, it's easy as hell and a beginner skill level unless it's copper, which is considerably more complicated. Just pray you don't have copper under the sink. Very few places do anymore, but it happens. And regardless, it will still take 30-45 minutes to do if you have all the supplies.

oh good lord i just realized I completely misread what you're trying to do! i thought you were talking about a dishwasher... no idea how I got that. I don't know how you'd go about doing that, but yeah it should be doable.

sorry!

The best way to do this is to first find someone with some knowledge of what they're doing so you don't ultimately end up needing to call a plumber anyway. Running it off of the sink directly at the faucet is doable, and they do sell connectors for it, but it will become a pain in the ass rather quickly.

The best way to run it from the sink, is to go underneath the sink, cut off the water at the knob, then install a diverter with shut off valves just like you would do on a hose bib. Then you run your sink line right back up to the sink, and another line to your washer.

The biggest issue with all of this, of course, is the water pressure problem you will encounter. The water line to the washer hookup is almost always routed directly from the water supply or it's the first stop from the water heater. Because of this, your washer water connection will always have the most water pressure in the house. Since water pressure drops a little more at each additional connection, and kitchen sinks aren't near the top of the list in order, the kitchen sink usually ends up being one of the weakest pressure points in the house. Add yet another connection from there, and the pressure will be even less.

So while it will work, you have to be patient if you do it, because it's gonna take a lot longer for your washer to fill up.

All that being said, it's easy as hell and a beginner skill level unless it's copper, which is considerably more complicated. Just pray you don't have copper under the sink. Very few places do anymore, but it happens. And regardless, it will still take 30-45 minutes to do if you have all the supplies.

So, once this is all done, does the kitchen sink then become a permanent, dedicated line, just for the washing machine ?
Or can you still use the sink for conventional purposes, once in a while, by easily disconnecting the hose ?

oh good lord i just realized I completely misread what you're trying to do! i thought you were talking about a dishwasher... no idea how I got that. I don't know how you'd go about doing that, but yeah it should be doable.

sorry!

That's okay. I can see how the wording could be easily misunderstood

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.