• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Which safety emerges

Which safety emerges?

• Total voters
He's up for his reinstatement meeting on September. Team can't talk to him until he is reinstated. He's still under contract, I believe it's on hold until reinstatement.

I believe that's the extent of his situation right now.

Ive been busy with some native rights stuff and my real football seasons first 2 games (beat the defending national champs 80-1 and then the last yeasr semifinalsts 64-17)

I think merriweather is good already he just has brain farts, but he must have really done something dumb for the pats to let him go.

Rambo is the guy, he fell hard, and thats usually a motivator for competitive guys.

I like reed, hes a great skin, character guy and a topnotch backup who simply isnt good enough consistently to be a starter. he has been a great skin though, I think he will be in tough if these young guys can play teams, if they cant he should stick.

Dammit tr1 took my answer.

Gotta feeling the new blood is gonna show some drive and secure that spot. The next Ed Reed

should be a much improved D this season - if the pieces fall into place.

what is the deal with Jackson ?
I havnt heard one way or another, whether the team is bringing him back.

It's hard to know while he's a persona non grata and until the league decides to reinstate him. I think he's eligible for a hearing somewhere around the middle of camp but there's no guarantee he get's off with time served.

At this point, I think it would be safe to say the Skins are moving ahead without him.

Barring injury, we have (2) new safeties and (2) new corners vertually guaranteed to make the team, plus (3) youngsters returning in Minnifield, Crawford and Pugh that they really like and the usual cast suspects returning in Hall, Wilson, Merriweather, Gomes and Reed. Where is there room for Jackson?

He certainly doesn't deserve a spot by default. He should be here earning a spot with his play but he's not because he's a twat.

I'm hearing that Gomes is no lock to make the roster. Same with Reed

Gomes, I could easily see being on the bubble but Reed is too versatile and a special teams ace. There is even suggestion that he gets voted special teams captain now that Alexander is gone and that honor is up for grabs. I would be VERY surprised if Reed is cut.

Ive never bashed Reed, but sure as heck made fun of Jason's man crush...lol
I cheers to that!!! :laugh:

I might be pretty ambivalent about Reed, and very pissed at him some games, but when he eventually does go, I'm really, REALLY going to miss weekly Reed Man Crush updates on Jason's FB page :laugh:

As for the topic at hand, I really am rooting for Meriweather to do this season what we all know he can do. I think it would be awesome for him to return to beast mode and lead the young pups. Obviously our offense has a plethora of weapons and I'm really excited to see those guys perform again...but to be a serious threat to go far in the league, we need our safeties to NOT SUCK. I'm pinning my hopes on Meriweather. I actually like Thomas too and I'm going to also predict a breakout for Rambo JUST because I want his name to match his play :D

People like Bowen keep saying a rookie won't be an early starter. But Haslett already floated that trial balloon this week.

The fact is the Redskins don't have a returning player that can physically meet the demands at free safety.

Doughty and Pugh are too slow and lack ball skills. Gomes I don't think will be on the final roster.

With Meriweather at strong it appears Rambo and Thomas have a legit shot in 2013 to be the free safety.

Chris Horton started a number of games as a rookie and he lacked the athleticism of either of this year's picks.

In re Bowen, I can remember the 49ers starting THREE rookies in the backfield on a team that won the Super Bowl.

The barrier to rookies getting on the field came down with the cap and the need to use your picks and develop them more quickly.

Has there been any update on Meriweather's condition? I haven't heard anything - are we just assuming he'll be back for the season?

This thread is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
too early.
We havn't even seen any of our several new rookie choices in training camp or a preseason game, let alone against real competition in a regular season game.
Absolutely no-one on planet Earth, or any other planet or galaxy for that matter, has any inkling how any of our brand new guys, or even Merriweather or Minnifield, will perform this season

too early.
We havn't even seen any of our several new rookie choices in training camp or a preseason game, let alone against real competition in a regular season game.
Absolutely no-one on planet Earth, or any other planet or galaxy for that matter, has any inkling how any of our brand new guys, or even Merriweather or Minnifield, will perform this season

That's not true - I have many inklings. They may all turn out to be incorrect, but I have them. :p

My guess is that our young guys have the raw skills but will take time to learn the playbook, develop the polish and catch up to the speed of the NFL. We'll likely see it manifest in bad pursuit angles and late coverage, at least for a while.

So I'm anticipating that Merriwether and Doughty man the spots with Hall playing a tweener role until a young guy steps up. I have no idea who.

I voted for Rambo. Can't wait to hear one of the commentators say, "Rambo has drawn first blood!"

too early.

It's only way too early if you like playing it safe. :)

If ya like going out on a limb and and dancing on the tightwire instead of waiting for the evidence then now is the best time to be guessing because this is the point of the season where everyone gets to show their intuition or their genius.

Anyone can tell ya who will emerge after we've seen them emerge :silly:

It's only way too early if you like playing it safe. :)

If ya like going out on a limb and and dancing on the tightwire instead of waiting for the evidence then now is the best time to be guessing because this is the point of the season where everyone gets to show their intuition or their genius.

Ok, who do you think will emerge?

Ok, who do you think will emerge?

Think I already voted in the poll, but I have a good feeling about Rambo and Merriweather. Rambo because he seemed to make a lot of splashy plays in OTA and had a very nice college career. He seems to have been downgraded mainly due to knuckleheadedness which if he can rein in then he should be a good player. Brandon because of how he flashed in limited opportunities last season, but mainly because this could be his last go around and he'll want to do everything to secure his future.

I think Merriweather's biggest problem was loss of concentration and focus (and last year injuries). He should be coming back pretty hungry and that might be good for his mental game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.